Politics And Current Events

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sun May 10, 2015 10:12 pm

There is always a bit of classism involved in denouncing of Walmart's... (i.e.- those poor, white, trash shop there. :o )
Agreed. I shop at WM occasionally but try to be careful what I buy isn't too "crappy".

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 10, 2015 10:16 pm

I must shop at the few exceptional Walmarts, but I have never had a negative experience there (even at the one in North Versailles).

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Wife and I do the majority of our grocery shopping at Walmart. Never have had an issue there with anything food stuff we have bought(The only thing we don't really buy there is Hamburger Meat/Steaks etc). I find most of the name brand food stuff cheaper there than at Giant Eagle or similar stores around us.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun May 10, 2015 10:33 pm

I have rarely had a good experience at Walmart. Workers are unfriendly. Prices are not better than Target or grocery store, with few exceptions. And if I go there looking for something specific, they tend to not have it.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Sun May 10, 2015 10:38 pm

I don't give my business to Walmart, Starbucks, Hobby Lobby or Chick-Fil-a Or Monsanto and a host of other unscrupulous organizations.

Hey, a mans got to stick by his principals right?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sun May 10, 2015 10:56 pm

I don't give my business to Walmart, Starbucks, Hobby Lobby or Chick-Fil-a Or Monsanto and a host of other unscrupulous organizations.

Pretty sure you can't avoid Monsanto

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Sun May 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Pretty sure you can't avoid Monsanto
Where I can directly. (No roundup, don't buy products that are known to contain GMO where possible)

Sure, when I go out to restaurants etc, I'm not in complete control of that aspect, but where and when I am...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Some pretty significant allegations raised by Seymour Hersh re: the killing of OBL:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-1 ... ly-happene

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Maybe Obama is just a temporary troll and is otherwise great. Know what I mean, bro?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Maybe Obama is just a temporary troll and is otherwise great. Know what I mean, bro?
No ;)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Maybe you've been skating on too much ice, man.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 am

I think the only company that I absolutely refuse to give my money to is BP. The anti-GMO thing always cracks me up. Chipotle started advertising that they don't serve any GMO food... I suppose it just depends on your definition of GMO, but I find it very hard to believe that every single thing they have at chipotle contains zero GMOs.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 am

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:39 am

Some pretty significant allegations raised by Seymour Hersh re: the killing of OBL:

Not entirely.
I love things like this:
'Obama lied, the Pakistani intelligence officials knew and ok'ed about the plan.' - 'Obama put the Pakistani intelligence officers at risk by possibly outing them.'

Everybody knew what was happening and OBL was in protective custody, but the chopper got shot down?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional enough to believe that everything that State & the WH has said is the truth/whole truth on the matter, but that's nothing new. It's been true for over a century at least that the government doesn't tell the people exactly how the sausage is made. And if that's true, it's certainly not a sign of a what happens when "a former superpower enters its terminal decline phase," as the author says, because we've been doing it since before we were a "superpower."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 am

I think the only company that I absolutely refuse to give my money to is BP. The anti-GMO thing always cracks me up. Chipotle started advertising that they don't serve any GMO food... I suppose it just depends on your definition of GMO, but I find it very hard to believe that every single thing they have at chipotle contains zero GMOs.
yeah chipotle makes a ton of nutritional claims that there's no way they can back up. it must all be technicalities.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 am

This seems unwise and a bit prejudicial.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/11/maril ... ddie-gray/
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 am

Is a prosecutor an impartial actor in a trial?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

Impartial in terms of what? If you are prosecuting someone, presumably you have an opinion on the guilt of the accused.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 am

Impartial in terms of what? If you are prosecuting someone, presumably you have an opinion on the guilt of the accused.
now she's REALLY REALLY going to try in court. instead of...?

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 11, 2015 10:31 am

Not entirely.
I love things like this:
'Obama lied, the Pakistani intelligence officials knew and ok'ed about the plan.' - 'Obama put the Pakistani intelligence officers at risk by possibly outing them.'

Everybody knew what was happening and OBL was in protective custody, but the chopper got shot down?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional enough to believe that everything that State & the WH has said is the truth/whole truth on the matter, but that's nothing new. It's been true for over a century at least that the government doesn't tell the people exactly how the sausage is made. And if that's true, it's certainly not a sign of a what happens when "a former superpower enters its terminal decline phase," as the author says, because we've been doing it since before we were a "superpower."
IIRC, the narrative was never that the chopper was fired on. Just that it landed partially outside the LZ with its tail section resting on the wall.
Right? Or am I mistaken?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 am

Agree about the GMO thing. Human beings have been GMing their Os millennia before there was any real understanding of what was going on. It's just not a thing to get all :scared: about.

'Organic' is also something of a bugbear, these days. (Especially as regards animal husbandry)

Best bet for buying meat and produce that hasn't been fcked around with (which I think is most people's goal when they hurl those terms around) is to go to a farmer's market and develop a personal relationship with one of the vendors.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 11, 2015 10:51 am

I didn't see SNL over the weekend but just viewed this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_kuC35F06E

Hilarious!!! Someone should tell Pamela Geller that *THIS* is how to get your point across.

The Genius of Lorne Michaels.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:53 am

It wasn't shot down; the pilot descended too quickly, and the high walls of the compound created a vortex effect in the rotor-wash which lowered the air density directly under the helo, effectively taking away all the lift. In lay terms; it crashed.

Both pilots immediately understood what happened, and the second pilot actually diverted to a secondary landing area to deploy his assault troops. That second helo as supposed to land on the roof of the compound and assault down while the troops from the other helo came in from the ground and moved up. Instead, they ended up landing outside the compound, forcing the SEALs to breach the perimeter walls to gain access and meet up with the squad from the crashed helo.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 am

I didn't read the article that way, it wasn't about her feelings about the accused. It was her views on the legal system itself.
No question she's walking a fine line of making an office that shouldn't be political into a political statement.
Appearing with Prince on stage, especially in the early stages of such an important and high profile trial, was exercising poor judgement.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 11, 2015 11:02 am

It wasn't shot down; the pilot descended too quickly, and the high walls of the compound created a vortex effect in the rotor-wash which lowered the air density directly under the helo, effectively taking away all the lift. In lay terms; it crashed.

Both pilots immediately understood what happened, and the second pilot actually diverted to a secondary landing area to deploy his assault troops. That second helo as supposed to land on the roof of the compound and assault down while the troops from the other helo came in from the ground and moved up. Instead, they ended up landing outside the compound, forcing the SEALs to breach the perimeter walls to gain access and meet up with the squad from the crashed helo.
The Germans just bombed Pearl Harbor :lol: