Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 am

Maybe? Should anyone care?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 am

There is no doubt that if she conforms to "protected class-ism" that no one says boo about it...but because she did not, she is punished to whatever degree...

Yeah, who cares that she got suspended from glee club or whatever...I don't...but it's not a precedent that ought to be set...the requirement to join/support a marginal, disorganized and, at times, violent social movement or be penalized is unhealthy and should only serve to stoke the flame...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 am

Requirement to join/support? Wat?

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 am

It's at least a semi-forced silencing of opposition by anyone in a leadership role, at least at UH.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 am

There's no two way street for discussion of that political issue according to that governing body (and others)...three choices: remain quiet on the political subject in government club or whatever hell it is, support the movement or be penalized.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:27 am

I'd also like to jump back to the part where the BLM movement is allegedly a reaction to just a handful of murders-by-police.

I don't care for their tactics but it's about more than Freddie Gray or Michael Brown or whoever. If you know people of color in your personal life, maybe go see if they've ever been harassed by the police for no reason or regularly followed around in department stores like they're about to steal everything.

BLM is about more than the exceptions. The protests are stupidly executed and they may ultimately do more harm than good, but the cause is righteous.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:29 am

A lot of time when people try to clarify statements with you and soften their approach, it's met with something along the lines of "nice backpedal"...this instance is no different...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:29 am

The cause is righteous but as you said the execution is horrendous. It is turning off more people than being a positive.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:33 am

A lot of time when people try to clarify statements with you and soften their approach, it's met with something along the lines of "nice backpedal"...this instance is no different...
If I'm accusing you of backpedalling in this thread, I wouldn't be the only one.

Though this isn't one of those cases. Whatever point you were attempting to make, you seem to be standing by it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 am

The cause is righteous but as you said the execution is horrendous. It is turning off more people than being a positive.
Agree.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:54 am

Most religions, BLM, or our government?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Most religions, BLM, or our government?

Governments aren't righteous.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:15 pm

My Facebook feed is getting out of hand, I think the first step is unfollow everybody who shares a Tomi Lahren video

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:23 pm

My Facebook feed is getting out of hand, I think the first step is unfollow everybody who shares a Tomi Lahren video

She is pretty good looking though.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 pm

If you know people of color in your personal life, maybe go see if they've ever been harassed by the police for no reason or regularly followed around in department stores like they're about to steal everything.
Straw poll for the board:

Who here has store security follow them around virtually 100% of the time when they enter a store?

When a black guy is killed by police in highly dubious circumstances and there are no criminal charges, or when a prosecutor shows clear bias in favor of the police, or when there is no criminal or extra-judicial sanction for clearly untoward police conduct, it must be viewed through the looking glass of a reality that nearly everyone in this community has not and will not ever directly experience. And these use-of-force incidents are the only visible element of that reality. In that light, it's very easy to look at mitigating facts and arrive at what seems to be a perfectly just and reasoned conclusion, but which obscures and in many cases flatly ignores the larger context which is what really animates things like BLM.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:38 pm

She is pretty good looking though.
The name was unfamiliar to me, so I Googled it. She looks like the dragon lady from that stupid HBO show where people's heads get squeezy popped and the fight choreography looks like something out of a high school ballet company.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Dodint triggered.
WI is a Real ID and Voter ID state. I'm safe.
No so fast there Sparky:
In Wisconsin, where one federal judge already had eased restrictions on voter-ID requirements, a second judge found that additional elements of the law passed by the legislature and signed by Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) were unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge James D. Peterson suggested he would strike the entire law if he were not bound by the Supreme Court’s decision that states may use properly written voter-ID laws to guard against voter fraud.

“The evidence in this case casts doubt on the notion that voter ID laws foster integrity and confidence,” Peterson wrote. “The Wisconsin experience demonstrates that a preoccupation with mostly phantom election fraud leads to real incidents of disenfranchisement, which undermine rather than enhance confidence in elections, particularly in minority communities. To put it bluntly, Wisconsin’s strict version of voter ID law is a cure worse than the disease.” The state will appeal both rulings.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... ge%2Fstory
I'm happy to move again.
Voter ID law struck in North Dakota now, too.

I wonder at what point you will begin to allow facts to guide your decision making on this matter? :wink:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 pm

:|

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:46 pm

If you know people of color in your personal life, maybe go see if they've ever been harassed by the police for no reason or regularly followed around in department stores like they're about to steal everything.

Who here has store security follow them around virtually 100% of the time when they enter a store?

When a black guy is killed by police in highly dubious circumstances and there are no criminal charges, or when a prosecutor shows clear bias in favor of the police, or when there is no criminal or extra-judicial sanction for clearly untoward police conduct, it must be viewed through the looking glass of a reality that nearly everyone in this community has not and will not ever directly experience. And these use-of-force incidents are the only visible element of that reality. In that light, it's very easy to look at mitigating facts and arrive at what seems to be a perfectly just and reasoned conclusion, but which obscures and in many cases flatly ignores the larger context which is what really animates things like BLM.

I've worked in retail, in several different stores, and we did not follow, nor did security, every minority that came in. Most of the time it was if you came in baggy pants or an outfit that didn't suit the weather (coat/sweat shirt in the summer)

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:46 pm

This point often gets overlooked because slavery has been over for awhile, so it's all good.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:49 pm

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- ... e,1468642/
Possession of a small amount of marijuana within State College Borough will now be a summary offense, rather than a misdemeanor, following approval of an ordinance by Borough Council on Monday night.

Council voted 5-2 for the ordinance, which treats possession of a small amount of marijuana -- 30 grams or less of marijuana or eight grams or less of hashish -- much like an open container violation. Individuals in possession of or smoking marijuana would be issued a non-traffic citation, rather than receiving a misdemeanor criminal charge. Possession results in a $250 citation and smoking a $350 citation. Parents of individuals under the age of 18 who are cited would be notified.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Dodint triggered.
WI is a Real ID and Voter ID state. I'm safe.
No so fast there Sparky:
In Wisconsin, where one federal judge already had eased restrictions on voter-ID requirements, a second judge found that additional elements of the law passed by the legislature and signed by Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) were unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge James D. Peterson suggested he would strike the entire law if he were not bound by the Supreme Court’s decision that states may use properly written voter-ID laws to guard against voter fraud.

“The evidence in this case casts doubt on the notion that voter ID laws foster integrity and confidence,” Peterson wrote. “The Wisconsin experience demonstrates that a preoccupation with mostly phantom election fraud leads to real incidents of disenfranchisement, which undermine rather than enhance confidence in elections, particularly in minority communities. To put it bluntly, Wisconsin’s strict version of voter ID law is a cure worse than the disease.” The state will appeal both rulings.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... ge%2Fstory
I'm happy to move again.
Voter ID law struck in North Dakota now, too.

I wonder at what point you will begin to allow facts to guide your decision making on this matter? :wink:

Why shouldn't you be required to show an ID to vote? It is beyond stupid that we don't have to.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:52 pm

The republic managed to stumble along for well over two centuries without an ID requirement. Now all of a sudden there's an existential threat to democracy?

Please.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Source of the post if you came in baggy pants or an outfit that didn't suit the weather
So suspicious looking things given the nature of the potential offense committed? You didn't cavity search every eight year old that came in...? Interesting policy...