Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:37 am

Christie will be the beneficiary of Graham dropping out of the race. I think the establishment is passing Rubio by and betting on Christie to be the firewall to Trump in New Hampshire.
I read somewhere that party people in Iowa and NH are saying he's (Rubio) not getting enough facetime with the voters and too much with the donors. I'm still very unimpressed with him.
I said this somewhere else so I'll just copy and paste it.

On a related note Marco Rubio, for all his support online and in print, seems to be the candidate of “you should like” instead of the candidate “people do like”, which is problematic.

He may finish 4th or 5th in Iowa, same in NH, then lose SC, and be clobbered on Big Tuesday.

That is not a recipe for success in the primaries.

Ironically Rubio has a lot in common it seems with Hillary in 2008.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:39 am

How Donald Trump is breathing life into America’s dying white supremacist movement:
Making friends is no easy task for modern white nationalists.

In an era of gay marriage and black presidents, more than a half-century after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 became law, separatists can’t exactly swan dive into conversations with strangers about the white-power cause.

But Rachel Pendergraft — the national organizer for the Knights Party, a standard-bearer for the Ku Klux Klan — told The Washington Post that the KKK, for one, has a new conversation starter at its disposal.

You might call it a “Trump card.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ge%2Fstory

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Christie is a real man and won't give up.
It's terrifying that Christie's support has grown since he said he was willing to start WW III and seemed almost excited about the possibility of doing so. :face:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Christie is a real man and won't give up.
It's terrifying that Christie's support has grown since he said he was willing to start WW III and seemed almost excited about the possibility of doing so. :face:
To be fair, he does require a bit more support than the rest of the candidates.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:11 pm

For people here who (legally) own guns:

When was the last time someone was shot in your neighborhood?

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Never. My neighborhood is only 5 years old.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:28 pm

The two people that have been shot in my neighborhood were shot by the police. One was in his own yard, the other was drunk and thought he was in his own yard.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:30 pm

The two people that have been shot in my neighborhood were shot by the police. One was in his own yard, the other was drunk and thought he was in his own yard.
your income and your neighborhood don't reconcile

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:33 pm

The only shooting I can remember in my neighborhood in my lifetime (37 years) was an elderly neighbor who committed suicide with his shotgun. That was.. 12 years ago maybe. I'd say 80% of the people in my neighborhood own guns, including myself.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:34 pm

What is the point of the question anyway?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:35 pm

This isn't Panther Lair...not everyone has an agenda.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:39 pm

This isn't Panther Lair...not everyone has an agenda.
Lies.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Defining my neighborhood as the township in which I live, the answer appears to be December 2014.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:51 pm

who defines their neighborhood that way?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:58 pm

People who want to justify their "need" for a gun.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:59 pm

If it's not affecting you in any way, why do people care if Shyster or other people on this board own guns?

Why ask when the last shooting was in their neighborhoods if you claim you don't have an agenda?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:02 pm

I recently got into a bit of a debate with my brother-in-law over gun control. He said that, since I was not a gun owner, I have no say in the matter at all. So, I'm contemplating getting a license and purchasing a gun for no other reason than to piss him off. Later on, it'll come in handy for when my daughter brings home friends that are male, so I can easily justify my actions.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I still think people that carry "for protection" are paranoid lunatics... That said, in America, you have the right to be a paranoid lunatic.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:07 pm

who defines their neighborhood that way?
I wasn't aware it was defined more narrowly. I grew up out in the sticks, so I guess I have a pretty broad definition.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm

If it's not affecting you in any way, why do people care if Shyster or other people on this board own guns?
i don't think anyone here will actually murder anyone. but i would have said the same thing on the old board about 6 years ago.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm a gun owner and mainly used it for hunting when I hunting a few years back.

But it also gives me a little piece of mine that if someone comes into my home, I'm not protecting my family with a baseball bat.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Why ask when the last shooting was in their neighborhoods if you claim you don't have an agenda?
Are you the EPP's new host?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 pm

It does, though. We pay really high taxes which funds our over staffed police department which gives a lot of cops little to do.

Sparta police officer involved in second shooting in two years

Officer not happy with plea deal in Sparta shooting - This is the cop whining to the media saying that the plea deal my neighbor received shouldn't be accepted. He calls himself the victim. My neighbor who was shot, and my other neighbor both say that he put the rifle (he was trying to shoot a rodent) down before he was shot but there were no other witnesses. My house is directly across the street from the green one in the pictures. My neighbor is mentally ill, a drug abuser, and a drunkard. Not something to get shot over. Also, the story is wrong, he was shot in the back. I've seen the scars. This is the first shooting from the first story above, the other was when the officer killed a man with a knife. The knife guy's family said it was justified, though.

The other shooting happened in my realtor's yard, who lives a few houses down. The guy was drunk and knocking on doors to find his house after planting his car in someone's side yard. He went into the back yard through the snow and the cop followed the prints and shot him. I can't find the news article about it so I have no idea how long ago it was.

So, you have the neighbor with the deer rifle and the drunk 'prowler' a few houses away. And then the guy with the knife, that was about a half mile away down by the golf course.

The only other incidents I could find in the town was a 'standoff' where a guy killed himself with a shotgun last month, and in 2002 a guy came from another town to steal drug money from a couple whom he ended up abducting and killing before burying them in the woods.

You could argue that all the cops keep the residents in check, but, yeah, no.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

I think you live in the wrong neighborhood.

But - given the number of shootings in neighborhood (defined as 7 X 10 block area in my case) - I probably do too.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:43 pm

It does, though. We pay really high taxes which funds our over staffed police department which gives a lot of cops little to do.

Sparta police officer involved in second shooting in two years

Officer not happy with plea deal in Sparta shooting - This is the cop whining to the media saying that the plea deal my neighbor received shouldn't be accepted. He calls himself the victim. My neighbor who was shot, and my other neighbor both say that he put the rifle (he was trying to shoot a rodent) down before he was shot but there were no other witnesses. My house is directly across the street from the green one in the pictures. My neighbor is mentally ill, a drug abuser, and a drunkard. Not something to get shot over. Also, the story is wrong, he was shot in the back. I've seen the scars. This is the first shooting from the first story above, the other was when the officer killed a man with a knife. The knife guy's family said it was justified, though.

The other shooting happened in my realtor's yard, who lives a few houses down. The guy was drunk and knocking on doors to find his house after planting his car in someone's side yard. He went into the back yard through the snow and the cop followed the prints and shot him. I can't find the news article about it so I have no idea how long ago it was.

So, you have the neighbor with the deer rifle and the drunk 'prowler' a few houses away. And then the guy with the knife, that was about a half mile away down by the golf course.

The only other incidents I could find in the town was a 'standoff' where a guy killed himself with a shotgun last month, and in 2002 a guy came from another town to steal drug money from a couple whom he ended up abducting and killing before burying them in the woods.

You could argue that all the cops keep the residents in check, but, yeah, no.
:lol: