Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm

This has significantly lowered drug use over the last 40 years hasn't it?
What? No, it hasn't.
Exactly.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Why do we always try to compare ourselves to countries 1/10th our size and way less diverse in culture? It is stupid.
i generally agree, but that mention of australia doesn't exactly require much cultural context

Why?
because if i remove the phrase, "like in australia", it's the exact same point with the exact same merit. for starters.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:33 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/03/2- ... tcmp=hpbt1

Couples home was an "IED factory". They found pipe bombs, remote control cars strapped with explosives and other bomb making material.

The guy recently went to the Middle East and came back with his wife. He grew out his beard after that as well.

Still don't know if the actual violence was a jihadi move or just workplace violence, but it seems they were definitely planning something one way or another.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 pm

And the neighbor didn't report it because they "didn't want to be racist".

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Didn't report what exactly?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Why do we always try to compare ourselves to countries 1/10th our size and way less diverse in culture? It is stupid.
i generally agree, but that mention of australia doesn't exactly require much cultural context

Why?
because if i remove the phrase, "like in australia", it's the exact same point with the exact same merit. for starters.

How would you do it the same as in Australia as here? If you don't know the answer or are unwilling to try and find a solution to do it like them, then there is zero reason to bring up Australia's system.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Neighbor said in an interview that they saw middle eastern people going to and from the house at weird hours and they had many packages delivered.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:40 pm

when in a lot of places, that firearm is used to hunt and provide food for the family.
do you have any numbers to support this?

I would be surprised if more than 0.0001% of the population uses hunting as their primary source of food
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 pm

The neighbor said they had been up late at night frequently in their garage making things, and suddenly started receiving an inordinate amount of packages to their house.

That doesn't seem suspicious at all?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Seems a lot of these people that are planning attacks, etc have either gone to and come back from the middle east or sneak in with refugees from the middle east. Stronger vetting during this climate isn't that dopey to me.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Still don't know if the actual violence was a jihadi move or just workplace violence, but it seems they were definitely planning something one way or another.

Seems very similar to that attack in Canada that was in a government building.

These sorts of attack are the worst, could be just one person acting alone and just concocting a plan to do as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Why?

How would you do it the same as in Australia as here? If you don't know the answer or are unwilling to try and find a solution to do it like them, then there is zero reason to bring up Australia's system.
you couldn't be more lost. seriously. read just 2 or 3 pages of the thread. all the words. your answers are all there.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 pm

when in a lot of places, that firearm is used to hunt and provide food for the family.

I would be surprised if more than 0.0001% of the population uses hunting as their primary source of food
Just from my inlaws and their friends out towards Bedford, I'd say hunting is around 50% of their food, and the deer and other animal entrails/skulls/parts are used throughout the winter in their burners outside to keep their homes warm since they burn slower/hotter.

And these are people that just need to hop into the car and drive 20 minutes to get to a Giant Eagle.

It's their way of life. Why would you price them out from owning fire arms etc when they can live sufficiently off the land.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Why?

you couldn't be more lost. seriously. read just 2 or 3 pages of the thread. all the words. your answers are all there.
You mean talking about abolishing the 2nd amendment? I think you are the one that is lost. You always resort to this kind of comment.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Just from my inlaws and their friends out towards Bedford, I'd say hunting is around 50% of their food, and the deer and other animal entrails/skulls/parts are used throughout the winter in their burners outside to keep their homes warm since they burn slower/hotter.

And these are people that just need to hop into the car and drive 20 minutes to get to a Giant Eagle.

It's their way of life. Why would you price them out from owning fire arms etc when they can live sufficiently off the land.
because guns are incredibly dangerous and other people are using them to kill people.

it's not an ideal solution but no solution ever is. Whenever you make legislation like this, you're going to negatively affect a portion of the population...that's just how life is. If outlawing guns means they have to go to the grocery store more, I'm not losing any sleep over it

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Neighbor said in an interview that they saw middle eastern people going to and from the house at weird hours and they had many packages delivered.
I wouldn't be opposed to a sort of see something, say something stance on this right now. Especially after the Paris attacks. I know that "didn't want to seem racist" thing is a big PC culture taboo thing. But to me this is sort of where hopefully some reasonable heads can prevail on both sides.

Terrorism makes people fearful of Islamic looking individuals. I would think that Muslim people would have some understanding of that. This shouldn't be a blank check to attack and intimidate Muslim people, but it's up to reasonable people to discern suspicious activity vs simply being Middle Eastern Looking.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Pricing people out of guns makes zero sense. Let's force everyone that wants a gun and can't afford one buy it on the black market for cheaper where there are zero background checks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 pm

In other news, Oscar Pistorius is now being charged with murder after an appeals court.
I'm thankful for our judicial system. "Keep trying until you get your wanted sentence" scares me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 pm

how would a black market gun be cheaper, exactly?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Source of the post If you can't be responsible enough to secure your weapons, maybe the gun owner should be charged as an accessory to murder in these cases.
I agree with this.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 pm

The neighbor said they had been up late at night frequently in their garage making things, and suddenly started receiving an inordinate amount of packages to their house.

That doesn't seem suspicious at all?
Well, up late at night and receiving lots of packages ... hey, that's me. I get your point, though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 pm

I guess the neighbor doesn't realize that you can file anonymous reports? Either way, the only thing that would scare people in that scenario is the fact that the people visiting appeared to be from the middle east. Remove that from the equation and I doubt most would have any issues with the activity.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 pm

The seller obtains the gun for cheaper (steals it, imports it illegally, etc.) and sells it the buyer for at a reduced price for a huge profit.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 pm

If you price guns at an astronomical amount so as one cannot afford them in the legal market, the black market would undercut that. Basic supply and demand.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 pm