Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 am

Cruz is basically a preacher (apologies to PBP). Well, he's basically a televangelist and there's not really another option for that crowd.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 am

My mom sold her house in western PA and we had 3 different neighbors mention to our remaining family that they were bothered and disappointed that the man who bought the house was black

Granted. They are all crazy and over the age of 55
I am pretty sure all of my new neighbors are that way. I look forward to inviting my culturally diverse friends over as often as possible.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:05 am

one of the most cringeworthy moments I had with a family member was when my brother (who was in med school at the time) said "blacks ruined Syracuse"

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 am

There was a confederate flag hanging in the house when we first saw it. The owner saw me looking at it and said "I don't know what to do if some blacks want to come see the house."

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 am

Correct, Columbia does not equal Selma. Bigotry will not be erased by protests. There isn't separate but equal campus facilities and activities. Their not fighting for their constitutional rights, they are fighting for the betterment of their University. Same asif they were protesting tuition hikes, etc.

I have no problem with their demands of more minority faculty, mental health staff, etc. I have no problem with a Director of Inclusion or whatever they called it. I think its valuable that the University work to make as many people feel welcome as possible. These weren't protests about feeling more comfortable in the classroom (subject matter) it was about feeling more comfortable in a place they want to call home. I don't even have a problem with saying that Tim Wolfe dismissed our concerns enough times that he's poisoned the opportunity for positive discourse going forward.

I do think it's ridiculous that he was asked to announce his white privilege. I do thinks its extreme that Chancellor Loftin is "transitioning" after making swift actions in the wake of these incidents (the Dean's hated him because he refused to increase salaries after the state's budget had fallen short). I think it is unconscionable that employees of a state institution were party to assaulting a student and interfering with the first amendment.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 am

There was a confederate flag hanging in the house when we first saw it. The owner saw me looking at it and said "I don't know what to do if some blacks want to come see the house."
those hypothetical black people really have nothing to complain about. ISIS is way worse.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 am

I can't stand Trump, but this bit is funny.

“With what’s going on with this election? I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Trump. He went on to mimic the back-and-forth between Carson and reporters trying to verify the story of his rise from poverty to acclaimed surgeon, including a claim by Carson that the person he’d tried to stab had been saved by his belt buckle.

“You stab somebody and the newspapers say, ‘You didn’t do it.’ And you said, ‘Yes I did, I did it!'” said Trump.

“This is the only election in history where you’re better off if you stabbed somebody,” he said. “What are we coming to?”
the important question is who gets the carson votes when he flames out?

even split between trump, cruz and rubio? or less trump, more bible thumper cruz?
I am trying to find it, but there was a poll asking "second choice" for Trump and Carson voters and Carson's were pretty evenly split between Rubio and Cruz.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 am

Somewhat related to the Mizzou fiasco

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/11/10/u ... ne-of-25m/

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:37 am

That confuses me. If I were in that demo, there's no way that I would pick Rubio over Cruz.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 am

That confuses me. If I were in that demo, there's no way that I would pick Rubio over Cruz.
i guess there's a portion of people who say, "my first choice is for the wild card and my second choice is for the boring guy". i think most of these people will just end up voting for the boring guy when they actually get into the booth.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 am

Do we really need to get the police involved?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:00 pm

That'll open up a can of worms...

Can't wait til next week when they send another email out saying "OK, nevermind. Please don't call us. We don't care if someone called you 'easily offended.' That's not what this was intended to stop."

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Yes, this certainly will not lead to a rash of ridiculous and/or hoax reportings.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Does that mean you aren't allowed to trash talk during intramurals and/or pick up games of various sports?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Does that mean you aren't allowed to trash talk during intramurals and/or pick up games of various sports?
Trash talk during intramurals? Sounds like something NAN would be engaged in. But that does bring up an interesting point, I assume these football players don't say anything mean to their opponents on the field.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 pm

In many ways it is the flipside of the whiny evangelicals who moan every time someone says Happy Holidays.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Let's not be dramatic guys, every school from elementary on up has a handbook that protects against people being bullied, hate speech, etc. It's supposed to be a place for civilized thought (and yes, you should be challenged to adjust your world view but that doesn't involve being verbally assaulted).

I'm sure every campus's remedy is to contact the campus PD (because other than parking tickets and covering up the athletic teams missteps what are they really doing). The sky isn't falling (even if poking fun while the fire is still smoldering is another great American past time).

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:46 pm

I've said before on this thread things down here in south Mississippi are far more advanced racially than they were up in Western PA.

It's not 1965 down here anymore either.
I've lived in Pittsburgh, New York, Tulsa OK, Mass, Alabama, Texas, Colorado, Southern Illinois, SF California, Wash DC, Cleveland, and I'm currently sitting here at my employer in Detroit.

I know it's anecdotal but the most Overt racism was in Oklahoma. The most passive aggressive racism was the Rust Belt from Pgh - Detroit. Alabama is surprisingly advanced (IMHO). So I don't agree with the old chestnut that the deep south is the most racist part of the country.

Freddie is right in many ways that I see less racism in Alabama than I do in the rust belt.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Tulsa did have a massive race riot in the twenties. That certainly still has some affect today.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

The last 5-10 years (call it the Tumblr generation) has introduced a pretty terrifying new level of leftist insanity on college campuses and beyond. These people don't just stop believing this stuff.
Hard to pin those who leave nasty comments on reddit to a specific ideology, don't you think?
This feels altogether different than traditional left-right polity. One of the characteristic traits of lefty philosophy is the elimination of the self and assimilation into a uniform society. The way this current crop of social outrage (and I shudder using that term) seems to manifest is as a hyper emphasis on relatively tiny individualistic traits. There's a morbid accentuation of the individual. It's just..... weird.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Trash talk during intramurals? Sounds like something NAN would be engaged in. But that does bring up an interesting point, I assume these football players don't say anything mean to their opponents on the field.

Yeah I laugh at the football players. Of all people to be "offended" by hateful/hurtful speech, they are last on the list.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:03 pm

so trash talk is equivalent to someone drawing a literal **** swastika based on racial hatred...?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:07 pm

so trash talk is equivalent to someone drawing a literal **** swastika based on racial hatred...?

Obviously you've never been around football players. They do some stupid ass things. Especially at these big program schools.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:08 pm

most college students do stupid stuff.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm

On a serious note: I'm wonder if it happens less on "conservative" campuses, because there's a much higher level of unity in thought.
This is actually my operating theory on why conservative news and talk radio so consistently crushes liberal counterparts. Going with talk radio, conservative outlets tend to be exemplified by a single host expressing (often by shouting) some pretty basic dogmatic stuff that appeals to people in a lowest common denominator kind of way. The liberal counterpoint to that tends to be shows with a main host, but several cohorts, and more frequent guests, and therefore has a more varied discourse.

Examples: Rush, Hannity, Levin..... while they occasionally have callers, their shows are largely composed of the singular host complaining about Democrats for three hours a day. On the other side you have, Stephanie Miller, who has at least two in-studio co-hosts, and frequent guests.

It's not 100% either way, but that tends to be the trend in large part. Conservative philosophy is, largely, binary in its outlook, and is therefore significantly easier to attract a monolithic audience. Liberal philosophy is, largely, multi-faceted in its outlook, and is therefore significantly harder for any one outlet to attract a large audience. So while Fox News crushes in the ratings, as the only real conservative option, you are left with something like seven out of ten news viewers watching something else.