Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm

Devil's advocate:
Why didn't snipers take out a couple people storming the Capital on 1/6? The state absolutely had the firepower to end it before people hit the doors.
Because the optics of killing rioters on the steps of the Capital would make an awful visual, and something that even far leftists would have a hard time supporting.

So by arming yourself and forcing the government to come take it from your cold dead hands, you're creating a similar optic. How much support can a tyrannical government really have if we're livestreaming them mowing down "undesirables?" How long are soldiers going to stomach having to do that to other Americans who were law abiding citizens until government tyranny came to silence them?

It's not about overpowering the US military with whatever is in your gun safe, it's about creating the doubt and unease in those who would have to carry out the tyrant's orders and weakening his support structure.

So, I understand the argument, but I don't think it would work out that way in the end.
They weren’t ordered to mow them down. Terrorist Ashley Babbitt got sufficiently close to jeopardizing the safety of our government leaders and was killed because of it. Since our current government isn’t tyrannical they did their best to quell the mob peacefully. When the terrorists pushed too far one shot was enough to stop their advance.

This is also ignoring Trump’s refusal to send the requested military aid during the insurrection.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Devil's advocate:
Why didn't snipers take out a couple people storming the Capital on 1/6? The state absolutely had the firepower to end it before people hit the doors.
Because the optics of killing rioters on the steps of the Capital would make an awful visual, and something that even far leftists would have a hard time supporting.

So by arming yourself and forcing the government to come take it from your cold dead hands, you're creating a similar optic. How much support can a tyrannical government really have if we're livestreaming them mowing down "undesirables?" How long are soldiers going to stomach having to do that to other Americans who were law abiding citizens until government tyranny came to silence them?

It's not about overpowering the US military with whatever is in your gun safe, it's about creating the doubt and unease in those who would have to carry out the tyrant's orders and weakening his support structure.

So, I understand the argument, but I don't think it would work out that way in the end.

So you would agree that Trump could not become a tyrannical dictator, because there would be doubt and unease in those who would have to carry out the tyrant's orders, and further soldiers would ignore Trump's orders to eliminate "undesirables"?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:42 pm

I literally just said a day ago that doubt and unease is your best defense, not the contents of your gun safe.

But I will also add that at no point in my life (certainly not my adult life, at least) has the buffer between that doubt and what lies on the other side of it been more brittle.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:35 pm

https://x.com/out5p0ken/status/17604299 ... laxkEJhGJg

“If you dress like that and get raped and I’m on the jury, he’s gonna go free.” - a pastor, from where I live.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:26 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 pm

https://x.com/out5p0ken/status/17604299 ... laxkEJhGJg

“If you dress like that and get raped and I’m on the jury, he’s gonna go free.” - a pastor, from where I live.
Scumbag.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:35 am

This country is in serious trouble.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:41 am

And how are we going do that?

Posting on twitter, that’s right, winning the meme war.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:21 am

I feel like people who say you're either for guns or against them, need to let us know at all times how for them they are.

I'm for guns, own plenty, would never go out of my way to discuss guns, politics of guns, or anything with anyone. I think the whole "gubment gonna get you, so defend yourself bit" is ridiculous. The Govt would wipe me off the face of the earth in seconds. Owning guns doesn't stop that from happening.
I don't mind people owning guns, I don't mind people shooting them at ranges and hunting with them, I don't mind people having guns at their house if they feel they need it for protection (I still think you're a little kooky if that's you, but hey... whatever).

What I do mind is gun culture. There are some absolute psychopaths out there that have a full arsenal, go to gun shows, jerk off dreaming about someone coming in their house so they can shoot them, feel the need to carry everywhere they go... ya know, just in case. If being trans is classified as a mental illness, gun nuts are right up there with them.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:26 am

Yup... it's all talk. Hell, they didn't even bring weapons to Jan 6th other than pepper spray and pipes/sticks to hit people.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:36 am

I feel like people who say you're either for guns or against them, need to let us know at all times how for them they are.

I'm for guns, own plenty, would never go out of my way to discuss guns, politics of guns, or anything with anyone. I think the whole "gubment gonna get you, so defend yourself bit" is ridiculous. The Govt would wipe me off the face of the earth in seconds. Owning guns doesn't stop that from happening.
I don't mind people owning guns, I don't mind people shooting them at ranges and hunting with them, I don't mind people having guns at their house if they feel they need it for protection (I still think you're a little kooky if that's you, but hey... whatever).

What I do mind is gun culture. There are some absolute psychopaths out there that have a full arsenal, go to gun shows, jerk off dreaming about someone coming in their house so they can shoot them, feel the need to carry everywhere they go... ya know, just in case. If being trans is classified as a mental illness, gun nuts are right up there with them.
Absolutely agree. I get so tired of the "government is here to take over your life stuff, so wear your vests, and parade around being completely out of shape, etc."

I shoot a ton, I go out by myself as it's a stress relieving thing. I have zero fantasies about ever having to use them in a defensive scenario, and I really do question people that say they would take up arms and fight if they had to against other US citizens. Mostly because to me, that means they've already played the fantasy bit about killing another person seriously. So yea, I would certainly put it up there with mental illness. Using a gun is the absolute last case scenario when things are life or death - there are too many people within the gun culture who take that entirely too lightly.

The Rittenhouse scenario is probably closest to what I am talking about. Sure, it was self defense, but he consciously made a choice that he was ok with killing someone, and self-escalated by bringing/carrying a gun. Hopefully the fantasy was worth the trauma he says he's gotten from it.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:36 am

This is me exactly. 100% agree
It's also me except I don't own any, nor do I have any interest in doing so.

I had this discussion with my Brother in Law who plays sports but had no idea when the Super Bowl was. I don't like or not like guns. He doesn't like or not like football. They are just not things we are interested in and they're not even on our radar screens.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:41 am

This is where I'm at as well.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:00 am

Yup... it's all talk. Hell, they didn't even bring weapons to Jan 6th other than pepper spray and pipes/sticks to hit people.
I read the McVeigh biography, this whole schtick, and basically the insurrection fantasy camp yearning posted by our friendly board radical was going on about yesterday.

Honestly, McVeigh is just incredibly impressive compared to these modern freaks. The bombing aside, his military achievements were impressive.

I guess one, if your whole mantra is word for word with the guy that committed domestic terrorism, you might want to rethink those beliefs.

But also, collecting AR's from Dicks and going into the woods with your drinking buddies and shooting at targets of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton, doing "militia drills", and replying to people on twitter is effectively the modern equivalent of McVeigh. That isn't going to get your "movement" anywhere.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:10 am

I guess one, if your whole mantra is word for word with the guy that committed domestic terrorism, you might want to rethink those beliefs.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:20 am

So what's going on with this frozen egg thing, now? They're people too?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:22 am

Alabama Supreme Court basically just ended IVF by ruling that test tubes are people or something. So clinics are no longer going to be doing that fertility treatment due to liability that implies.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:25 am

So you would agree that Trump could not become a tyrannical dictator, because there would be doubt and unease in those who would have to carry out the tyrant's orders, and further soldiers would ignore Trump's orders to eliminate "undesirables"?
Didn't get a chance to reply last night: I don't think the country is susceptible to Trump the dictator being installed. Realistically you've only got about 15-20% that worship him as a deity, and that's not going to cut it with a population as high as the eastern seaboard has I feel (also, the bulk of his political support isn't local to DC, so that 15-20% is probably even lower locally). So no, Trump is not the next Hitler.

Now, what would have happened if he'd gotten his way on 1/6 is anybody's guess. Do I think he succeeds in maintaining power through a whole term? I don't think so. Is there a non-zero amount of bloodshed? Likely. Do I think that the ensuing political chaos does serious damage to the country? Absolutely. For the most part investors put their money here because that level of chaos isn't present, they hate uncertainty.

But then again, there's a fair number of people that would welcome complete chaos at the federal level because they hate what the Fedgov has matured into, isn't there?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 am

Embryo discussion:
The case was about a tray of embryos being dropped on accident by a non-employee at a fertility clinic.
In seeking damages, the case went to the Alabama SC. They ruled that an embryo is a person, and therefor the Wrongful death of a child statutes which previously applied to unborn children in utero, should be applied to embryos.

Step 1) Usually after a successful implant, the unused embryos are destroyed. That's now against the law. So EVERY embryo would have to be saved indefinitely. Even if you're done having kids, and you have no need for them, they must still be maintained in perpetuity. So obviously treatment centers are bailing on the process, because that's an extreme amount of liability both legally and financially.

Step 2) If protected personhood status begins at conception, what other implications for things such as taxes, child support, welfare, etc apply.

Step 3) The Chief Justice's concurring opinion reads like it was something read from a pulpit, not from the bench.

Per the Chief Justices concurring opinion:
"In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself."
Last edited by CBear3 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:42 am

Didn't get a chance to reply last night: I don't think the country is susceptible to Trump the dictator being installed. Realistically you've only got about 15-20% that worship him as a deity, and that's not going to cut it with a population as high as the eastern seaboard has I feel (also, the bulk of his political support isn't local to DC, so that 15-20% is probably even lower locally). So no, Trump is not the next Hitler.

Now, what would have happened if he'd gotten his way on 1/6 is anybody's guess. Do I think he succeeds in maintaining power through a whole term? I don't think so. Is there a non-zero amount of bloodshed? Likely. Do I think that the ensuing political chaos does serious damage to the country? Absolutely. For the most part investors put their money here because that level of chaos isn't present, they hate uncertainty.

But then again, there's a fair number of people that would welcome complete chaos at the federal level because they hate what the Fedgov has matured into, isn't there?
The biggest risk to me is always that the same folks that stand to lose from uncertainty will always side with a right-wing dictator even the hint of a left-wing agenda.

Republicans currently out there saying that their candidate is going to dismantle the federal bureaucracy and install cronies throughout every level of the federal government. The democrats are unwilling to even commit to the pursuit of a single payer healthcare system. There is no meaningful left wing movement, but business leaders will cite the radical left agenda as the reason for continuing to support a prospective right-wing dictator.

Probably a good indication that these folks love crony-capitalism, and that's where we are and the people in charge just want more of it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:54 am

I like the immediate joke of ladies freezing eggs in Alabama and claiming them on taxes. Similar to pregnant women using HOV lanes.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:07 am

Got caught up in the Google Gemini wormhole today. It's pretty GD entertaining

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am

Embryo discussion:
The case was about a tray of embryos being dropped on accident by a non-employee at a fertility clinic.
In seeking damages, the case went to the Alabama SC. They ruled that an embryo is a person, and therefor the Wrongful death of a child statutes which previously applied to unborn children in utero, should be applied to embryos.

Step 1) Usually after a successful implant, the unused embryos are destroyed. That's now against the law. So EVERY embryo would have to be saved indefinitely. Even if you're done having kids, and you have no need for them, they must still be maintained in perpetuity. So obviously treatment centers are bailing on the process, because that's an extreme amount of liability both legally and financially.

Step 2) If protected personhood status begins at conception, what other implications for things such as taxes, child support, welfare, etc apply.

Step 3) The Chief Justice's concurring opinion reads like it was something read from a pulpit, not from the bench.

Per the Chief Justices concurring opinion:
"In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself."
Ah neat. Another time religion is used as a weapon to negatively impact people.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:07 am

Absolutely agree. I get so tired of the "government is here to take over your life stuff, so wear your vests, and parade around being completely out of shape, etc."

I shoot a ton, I go out by myself as it's a stress relieving thing. I have zero fantasies about ever having to use them in a defensive scenario, and I really do question people that say they would take up arms and fight if they had to against other US citizens. Mostly because to me, that means they've already played the fantasy bit about killing another person seriously. So yea, I would certainly put it up there with mental illness. Using a gun is the absolute last case scenario when things are life or death - there are too many people within the gun culture who take that entirely too lightly.

The Rittenhouse scenario is probably closest to what I am talking about. Sure, it was self defense, but he consciously made a choice that he was ok with killing someone, and self-escalated by bringing/carrying a gun. Hopefully the fantasy was worth the trauma he says he's gotten from it.
This is largely where I am on the topic. It is why Zimmerman in Florida was equally reckless imo, and why the militarization of law enforcement scares me so much.

I look at the prospect of a defensive shooting situation as if it will be the absolute worst day of my life, regardless of the outcome. I am in no rush to act out the worst day of my life. Others treat it as more of a goal.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:33 am

kind of interesting (?) story: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... itizenship

girl left the UK at 15 to join the Islamic State (lol). At 19, still with the IS, she talks about not regretting joining them and her British citizenship is revoked. Now at 24 she’s trying to regain British citizenship but her appeal was denied

I agree that she’s way too risky to be let back in. Kind of hard to come back from joining a terrorist group