Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:55 pm

That report is awful. I can't understand why the people who are close to Biden didn't push him to not run for re-election. He could have announced in 2022 that he was only serving 1 term, make it out that his plan all along was to undo the damage caused by Trump, etc. and set up an heir apparent.

The quotes about him not remembering when he was VP, not remembering when his son died, are going to be used nonstop in campaign ads and, unfortunately, they should be. This almost feels like we're watching a presidential election version of Weekend at Bernie's.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:01 pm

This is setting up for Trump to take back the White House, clear himself of all wrongdoing and killing investigations.

To think this chain of events all started back when the dems rigged it for Hilary originally.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:03 pm

How much does it actually hurt? Serious question. I don't think this sways many on the fence people.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:05 pm

Guys, Trump is not going to take back the White House.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:05 pm

I absolutely think independants might be swayed. I wouldn't be surprised if people abstained from voting because of it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:05 pm

So at this point, the only difference between Trump/Biden with respect to document case was that Biden didn't go out of his way to try them?

Second, that report really comes across as negative for Biden, if they're going for the feeble absent minded defense.
"He did not remember when he was vice president, forgetting on the first day of the interview when his term ended ('if it was 2013 — when did I stop being Vice President?'), and forgetting on the second day of the interview when his term began ('in 2009, am I still Vice President?')," the report said.

Biden also had difficulty remembering the timing of his son Beau's death, as well as a debate about Afghanistan.

"He did not remember, even within several years, when his son Beau died," the report said.
Pretty much should be written everywhere and used against Biden at all costs if you're the GOP.
I believe trump deliberately defied the act (considered all the documents his and neglected the premise that he was not permitted to take classified documents). Biden’s team just didn’t do a full review to ensure compliance and verify that they didn’t pack away classified documents).

Pence and Biden sound like more similar test cases and is a more relevant comparison. Biden just had the **** sitting for 12 more years so it was more difficult to account for.

Trump’s offenses are pretty brash here, and just because Biden is a doddering old fool does not really change that.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:06 pm

Again, Biden sees himself as the only person that can defeat Trump, and as such doesn't want to risk somebody else taking a shot at him. He's said that if Trump wasn't running he likely wouldn't either.
I've started replies with rhetorical questions similarly, and then launched into an explanation. If he said that and then paused because he honestly couldn't remember than that's something different. I doubt he's as bad as they make him sound, but he is obviously not as sharp mentally as he was 10 years ago.

Whitmer or Klobuchar are still my favorites to take the torch, and I similarly wish Biden wasn't trying to pull an RBG here. They managed to totally derail Pete's political momentum by putting atop the DoT.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:07 pm

I absolutely think independants might be swayed. I wouldn't be surprised if people abstained from voting because of it.
This. It isn't whether people are suddenly going to vote for Trump instead, its about people staying home.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:10 pm

Yes, could be a very low turnout election.

Which is now actually good for Biden. The lib base is the most enthusiastic to go out and vote against Trump and abortion restrictions. The trump base is the majority of the primary electorate, but much smaller than the urban and suburban lib base.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:18 pm

Maybe we can stop putting up people in their 70’s and 80’s for President. That’d be nice.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:37 pm

Yes, could be a very low turnout election.

Which is now actually good for Biden. The lib base is the most enthusiastic to go out and vote against Trump and abortion restrictions. The trump base is the majority of the primary electorate, but much smaller than the urban and suburban lib base.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I feel like the Trump base is gonna be mobilized to vote. A lot of it is going to be for dumb issues like immigration or “trans concerns” but it’s not like the Dems have been building any momentum since 2020. And I know the troglodytes don’t understand how polling/election odds work on here but Trump is both favored in odds and generally winning in polling

I think Biden has some work to do

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:44 pm

I will vote for Biden's handlers over Trump.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 pm

I don't see many people voting for Biden this time around, especially if this report gets legs. They'll vote against Trump or for abortion rights/left-leaning causes, but not for Biden. I really, really worry that the "Biden has Alzheimer's" thing will keep some of those people home. Biden's margin of victory in the swing states was small last time. He can't afford to lose votes.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:58 pm

I don't see many people voting for Biden this time around, especially if this report gets legs. They'll vote against Trump or for abortion rights/left-leaning causes, but not for Biden. I really, really worry that the "Biden has Alzheimer's" thing will keep some of those people home. Biden's margin of victory in the swing states was small last time. He can't afford to lose votes.
Little weird that it’s a big deal all of a sudden. I say this because Trump multiple times hasn’t been able to remember when he was in office or when things happened. He famously said there were airports during the revolutionary war.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 pm

I'll vote for the formerly intelligent dementia patient over the never intelligent dementia patient.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:36 pm

Yeah, I just don’t see how this sways things. I’m definitely trying to make myself feel better, but if this is what sways you to vote for pissbaby, you were always voting for pissbaby.

I know plenty of people who are voting against pissbaby and not for Biden, and that’s fine with me. I’m partially in that boat myself.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:44 pm

That’s what I was getting at. This isn’t swaying anyone. We have the options of 2 old as dirt people that probably should have been put out to pasture long ago.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:49 pm

Also, I’m with CB in that I’d be in favor of Klobuchar running.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:53 pm

Little weird that it’s a big deal all of a sudden. I say this because Trump multiple times hasn’t been able to remember when he was in office or when things happened. He famously said there were airports during the revolutionary war.
I don't think it gains Trump any votes, I just worry that it will cost Biden votes from people who were on the fence between voting/not voting. I could see some of them staying home if this gets much coverage.

Trump voters will still vote for him if Don Jr. has to spoon feed him pureed steak and ketchup shakes. They've proven again and again that there's nothing he can do that will stop them from voting for him. And the R leaders will support him too.

I am, of course, voting for Biden regardless.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:54 pm

Yup. I’m voting against pissbaby. Who ever that may be come November.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:56 pm

That will still be Trump.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:56 pm

Also, I’m with CB in that I’d be in favor of Klobuchar running.
I like Klobuchar too. I worry she won't get as much of the Black vote as she needs to win, but I'd certainly vote for her. I still really like Buttigieg, but I feel like he's DOA between being gay and his cabinet position.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:33 pm

What would happen if Trump and Biden both get the nom and both die before the election?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:43 pm

Parties are thrown all across the country.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:57 pm

So Tucker's interview went well.