Politics And Current Events

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:12 pm

religion plays a big part in all of it too. somehow american Christianity is just used as an excuse to hate others and I think many conservatives realized they lost the "war" of gay marriage so they turn their sights to an even more vulnerable population under the guise of their love for Jesus (who, again, would never say these things about trans people because he, you know, actually loved people)
I'll never understand why some people need to create a Jesus that doesn't exist. Jesus condemned sexual immorality en mass. He talks about Hell and judgment more than any other person in the Bible. He only picked men to lead His church. He calls people snakes, vipers, idiots, etc...

He's not the Dali Lama or whatever.

You don't have to like Jesus. It's not required to formulate a Jesus you can stand and just so happens to agree with whatever 2024 DNC politics are.

For an example "love your neighbor" is a direct quote from Leviticus. Christ is confirming all the hate-filled moral laws of the Old Testament. If you love your neighbor you will want your neighbor to conform to the Ten Commandments. He tells the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more. The only reason He doesn't condemn her to be stoned is because the law would have required the guys to kill their buddy as well, and they were cowards who refused to go to the actual civil authorities with their discovery.

TLDR
The f***? Basically confirms what mimh said.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:25 pm

What we know about Jesus comes from the new testament and was written a generation after his death by four people who never witnessed it for themselves. Maybe he only picked men to lead his church because the gospel authors wanted to lead a church.
We don't "know" that. You may have heard that on the History Channel or read it on Wikipedia, but that Historical Jesus stuff is basically Ad Lib hogwash which has had to change constantly. Every time there is a new archaeological discovery and younger and younger manuscripts are found the Search for the Historical Jesus "conclusions" have had to mold themselves all Voltron-like into the newest "scholarly consensus" which last about as long as a Pirates rebuild.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 pm

from what I know about Jesus, he above all preached “love thy neighbor”. Judging “immorality” is god’s job, not humans’

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:29 pm

What we know about Jesus comes from the new testament and was written a generation after his death by four people who never witnessed it for themselves. Maybe he only picked men to lead his church because the gospel authors wanted to lead a church.
We don't "know" that. You may have heard that on the History Channel or read it on Wikipedia, but that Historical Jesus stuff is basically Ad Lib hogwash which has had to change constantly. Every time there is a new archaeological discovery and younger and younger manuscripts are found the Search for the Historical Jesus "conclusions" have had to mold themselves all Voltron-like into the newest "scholarly consensus" which last about as long as a Pirates rebuild.
I have to admit, you lost me here. What I'm saying is we don't know exactly who or what Jesus was or what he taught or how he lived because we have no direct accounts of his life from anybody who was around to witness it (much less from the man himself). Are you saying that's not correct?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm

Yeah, take it to the religion thread.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Why do we need labels?
Because 75% of mikey's post count in NHR would evaporate otherwise.

:wink:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:57 pm

Would've put this in the non-political thread but given that the GOP turned vaccines into a political issue, here it goes
There was a similar outbreak here in LA in the Before Times. Centered on some of the most affluent and solidly D ZIP codes in CA; crunchy lib moms refusing to get their kids vaxxed because Jenny McCarthy said 'autism'. Population dropped below herd immunity, and there was an outbreak (tied to Disneyland). 2/3 of the vaccine-eligible patients were voluntarily unvaxxed because of parental beliefs. Laws were changed, and now you can't just check a box and claim an exemption and still send your kids to public schools.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:00 pm

Potential very small bright side of Iowa: In 2020 running as an effectively unopposed (Bill Weld lol) true incumbent, Trump got 97% of the vote. So given an option, half of the most engaged Republican stalwart voters chose 'other'.

I'm struggling here.

*shrug*

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 pm

Here, I'll give you a viewpoint.

I'm not very religious but I get upset when people in here bash religion. Both at those people and at the people who are politicizing (undermining) religion. Faith provides something different to everyone. For me, as a casual at best church goer, it's being part of a community that has served my family for 100 years and proliferating that among my own kids. Which is why I drive 45 minutes to church when I do go. I don't agree with my own church when it comes to things like marriage or birth control. I don't agree with some of the practices. I can see both sides on the topic of tax law with regard to religious institutions.

How would you label that?
it depends on how you define "bashing religion"
See PB's post lol

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:42 pm

Make sure you stick up for Islam, Mormons, and Scientologists too.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:45 pm

This is probably my favorite recurring Leftist meme on Twitter. Yes, the people who elected her governor were totally unaware she was Indian because she used her Punjabi middle name. 🤣

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:51 pm

Gonna go out on a limb and say that there would probably be a few more eligible voters in a presidential election. Certainly plenty who absolutely would not vote for a name like that.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm

Would you say white rednecks in South Carolina are more or less representative of MAGA voters generally?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:03 pm

Would you say white rednecks in South Carolina are more or less representative of MAGA voters generally?
Who is the question for?

I've been there visiting for 20 years but have no idea it that's true.

Weird question.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:06 pm

Her name is no biggie. Her middle name is Nikki and she went by that since she was little. She took on the name Haley in marriage.

The story of her husband going by Bill before she met him and her saying “you don’t look like a Bill, you look like a Michael. You’re Michael now.” is wild, though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:15 am

For normal people, sure.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:48 am

We're talking about the same people who made it a point to mention the 44th President's real name was "Barack HUSSEIN Obama".

She's not big enough yet for it to be a factor, but if she makes a push it will 100% be pointed out by that crowd

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 am

If she gains enough momentum, it’ll certainly be a trump and MAGA talking point.

Essentially it doesn’t matter until it does.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:48 am

She can't help herself. She just can't break free of the GOP MAGA hivemind. She goes on to a major "news" program and says the US isn't a racist country and has never been a racist country. That boggles the mind. She's even talked about being bullied growing up for being Indian in rural SC.
Speaking on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday, hours after her third-place finish in the Iowa caucuses was finalized, former ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley was asked to respond to comments made by MSNBC host Joy Reid on Monday night: Was the Republican Party racist?

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.
“No, we’re not,” Haley replied. “We’re not a racist country. We’ve never been a racist country.” She did not address the actual question, instead adding that the United States wasn’t perfect and that she had experienced racism. But her goal, she said, was to “lift up everybody, not go and divide people on race or gender or party or anything else.”

Intentionally or not, Haley in those quotes succinctly summarized the often surreal race politics of the GOP.

We can start with the claim that the United States has “never been” a racist country, a claim that no serious person could defend...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... publicans/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:08 am

Didn't Trump already make a Truth social post about her heritage? He's already clued in on her name, etc.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:10 am

Haley's claim is sorta the American history version of the Black Knight refusing to believe his arms and legs have been served.

Edit: 'Blank Knight' lol, same difference
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 am

What’s the current esoteric definition of racism for conservatives?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:18 am

This was front and center on my X feed today lmao. It appears this account paid for position in trending topics too.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 am

From the things I've seen/read on FB it's largely 3 fold:

1. Urban (read: black) crime still a huge issue, and it has nothing to do with systemic racism, it has everything to do with black culture celebrating fatherlessness, joblessness, drugs, rap music, sports over books, etc.
2. Need more white immigrants, less brown ones (mostly southern border complaints)
3. Diversity and inclusion initiatives = hiring people that aren't qualified and are bad.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:32 am

Also Vivek backing Trump now.