Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:03 pm

How many know that, constitutionally, the Presidential candidate and the Vice Presidential candidate cannot be from the same state?

How stupid is that? Just another reason to scrap this bloody US Constitution and make a new one.
I’m sure Shyster will pretend there’s a good reason for it other than admitting that it’s an antiquated restriction that should be amended

edit: ok after a quick google, it seems like the restriction is that if the Pres and VP are from the same state, they can’t receive electorate votes from that state. So it’s not as restrictive as I first thought

but also apparently Cheney changed his “home state” so that he and Bush could receive electorate votes from Texas

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:05 pm

How many know that, constitutionally, the Presidential candidate and the Vice Presidential candidate cannot be from the same state?

How stupid is that? Just another reason to scrap this bloody US Constitution and make a new one.
Can they be clones from the same manufacturer?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:06 pm

I thought it was a function of an elector's home state? The POTUS and VPOTUS can be from the same state, it's just if they are the electors from that state can't vote for both of them. (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding)

(Didn't see prior post)
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:07 pm

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:17 pm

Ahhh.. TIL.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:10 pm

Kamala is the most attractive VP thus far in our history as a nation.... although, I wouldn't be shocked to hear people argue it was actually Schuyler Colfax who was the most attractive.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:18 pm

hahahahaha I was reading Teddy Roosevelt's wiki about his VP time and I enjoyed this editorialization
In November 1899, Vice President Garret Hobart died of heart failure, leaving an open spot on the 1900 Republican national ticket. Though Henry Cabot Lodge and others urged him to run for vice president in 1900, Roosevelt was reluctant to take the powerless position and issued a public statement saying that he would not accept the nomination.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:37 pm

Speaking of an argument from the other side on why we should support Ukraine. (Hopefully this works)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:08 pm

Not that I disagree, but why would Russia relay on NK for missile tech? That makes no sense and seems ridiculously backwards.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:16 pm

Not that I disagree, but why would Russia relay on NK for missile tech? That makes no sense and seems ridiculously backwards.
Because NK has been making progress on ICBMs for decades, while russia's research has been stagnant. This war has revealed them and their equipment to be either total garbage, or at best very inferior to their claims. It's not that much of a stretch that NK actually has better technology in some areas, which is what happens when you make grandiose claims to scare the world while your defense money is being robbed by oligarchs. There have been laughable discoveries over the last 2 years, such as russian tanks with reactive armor filled with cardboard, MiGs with no GPS system, personal body armor from airsoft suppliers, the list goes on.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:18 pm

cardboard as in ... cardboard ...?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:23 pm

cardboard as in ... cardboard ...?
Sometimes cardboard, sometimes rubber. If it's your job to supply the army with ERA, you can make quite a bit of money by just filling them with trash and pocketing the rest of the budget.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:00 pm

Re Teddy Roosevelt

It's not really an editorialization to say the vice-presidency is powerless, certainly not in 1900. And the backfiring of the plan to neuter TR's Progressive agenda by saddling him as VP is one of the great 'ha ha' moments in American politics.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:01 pm

It was more showing there is an argument from the conservative side to continue helping.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:16 pm

Yeah, that's certainly not a minority opinion. Last I had seen, half or a small majority supported it...it's a war after all, they own tons of defense stocks...I think it's fading a bit now, as folks get ready to jump to the next thing and need to posture "correctly"...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:29 pm

re: weed

Colorado did it in 2012. Just over a decade later, we're at 24 states and counting.

Time to make it federally legal and just be done with it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 pm

https://www.change4norwin.com/

YIKES embarrassing fanfic

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:25 pm

What a loser.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:27 pm

Re: Vice Presidents
The job today is a to help get the president elected, whether that is demographic or geographic.
Harris actually has probably fulfilled the (only) official job duty more than most by presiding over the senate (when she held the tiebreaker vote).

“the vice presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm spit.” - John Nance Garner

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:26 pm

Right Wing School Board Members In Pennsylvania Lose Critical Districts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergreen ... a793671cc7

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:28 pm

You might say they took the 'R' out of 'NORWIN'

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:29 pm

I'll never understand the relevance of political affiliation relative to school board positions

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:55 pm

I'll never understand the relevance of political affiliation relative to school board positions
He rails on pro choice republican women with young kids who moved in from Allegheny county and their limp wristed husbands they brought to vote.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:28 pm

I’m sure Shyster will pretend there’s a good reason for it other than admitting that it’s an antiquated restriction that should be amended

It’s an antiquated restriction that should be amended, if anyone wants to bother. It's easy to change addresses these days, so I'm not sure it would even be worth it to actually spend the time and energy to do an amendment.

I believe the original concern was twofold: (1) electors would be homers and only vote for people from their own states; and (2) a concern that a state could become very populous and therefore dominate the presidency and vice-presidency by constantly voting only for its own candidates. The rise of political parties and their nominated slates of candidates mooted the first concern, and while some states certainly have more people than others, no state has enough electoral votes to control the election, so the second concern is moot.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:29 pm

He rails on pro choice republican women with young kids who moved in from Allegheny county and their limp wristed husbands they brought to vote.
Yeah I think you misunderstood. Why the **** are there school board members pushing a right wing agenda? Why are political affiliations listed next to school board candidate names on ballots?