Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:27 am

Yeah it has nothing to do with Kelce. It’s all because she encouraged her fans to register to vote, which lead to about 33k people registering that day, a 1,226% increase. Like MR25 said, the post was just about registering and said nothing about who to vote for. But republicans see young(er) people registering to vote as a threat so here we are. MAGA vs Swifties is an interesting matchup. MAGA is ****.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:42 am

I was at a wedding yesterday and we were sitting with a local Lutheran pastor. He said that he tends to monitor their neighborhood’s FB group for posts where they can help their neighbors out. Said a couple weeks ago there was an old lady asking for help as her lawnmower that she just bought wouldn’t start because the previous owner left it out, uncovered all winter.

Somehow the comments ended up being full of MAGA chuds taking about how this is Joe Biden’s America.

Moral of the story: avoid Facebook comments. It’s all crazy people.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:09 pm

I don't recall any lawnmower issues during the W regime...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:21 pm

Actually I think they strung up the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner between two lawnmowers to illustrate the victory of American tenacity over the terror.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:12 pm

Yikes.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:18 pm

So where did Russia get the intel? Mar a lago.

Apparently some of the classified info related to defense intel of a US ally.

Again: I have no faith in this line of thinking, but that’s a story line I’m seeing on the TikToks.
You don't want to give any oxygen to wacko conspiracy theories. Because most conspiracy theories require an enormous leap of logic somewhere in the chain; faked moon landing requires the belief that 400,000 NASA employees and god-knows-how-many contractors, plus the entire Soviet government are all in on the joke.

But...... that's not really the case here.

There's no proof, of course, I'm not saying I agree with it. There just isn't a super obvious logical hurdle that demands immediate skepticism.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:34 pm

What a **** **** **** time to be alive.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:43 pm

I love that this conspiracy theory has legs ITT...hmmm, I wonder why, I wonder why...haha

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:48 pm

Anyone that writes it’s “a conspiracy theory” should just be immediately discredited.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:53 pm

While we're putting on the tinfoil hats, I wouldn't be surprised if Netanyahu knew about the attack but let it happen ala FDR and Pearl Harbor in order to consolidate power/silence the opposition.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:08 pm

I love that this conspiracy theory has legs ITT...hmmm, I wonder why, I wonder why...haha
Oh,it doesn't. Just a joke that 99.9% of these dribblins can be dismissed at the first challenge (see: FDR & Pearl Harbor). This one at least passes the "I would be unsurprised if this turned out to be true" marker.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:15 pm

Meanwhile, on FB, the MAGA crowd on my feed is saying that Biden released the $6B to Iran specifically so Iran could give them money to Hamas to attack Israel. Because the democrats are "No friend to Israel" and to "destroy all of hard work President Trump did."

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:18 pm

See… this is the kind of thing where we just can’t take you seriously here. No one has said “yup…. This is legit.” No one.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:35 pm

Meanwhile, on FB, the MAGA crowd on my feed is saying that Biden released the $6B to Iran specifically so Iran could give them money to Hamas to attack Israel. Because the democrats are "No friend to Israel" and to "destroy all of hard work President Trump did."
Yeah, saw a lot of that on twitter after the attacks, too.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Tim Scott, failing to get any traction in the GOP presidential race, tweeted out a bunch of nonsense blaming Biden for the attack on Israel. I mean, that's so unbelievably ridiculous. Who is believing that? Actually, I know who...but yikes.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:47 pm

JD Vance, senator from Ohio was pushing some of this stuff. I’m guessing what they’re actually talking about is the money that Iran had frozen in South Korea which was released to Qatar to act as the overseer so that Iran could use the money only for essential items like food and all spending has to be reviewed before it’s done. It’s money from Iran’s oil sales. Additionally Iran has yet to spend a dime of that.

But yes, Biden giving money to Iran to support hamas is a better story.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:17 pm

**** joke

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:30 pm

I suppose that’s one way to look at it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:02 pm

Do I have this right for the GOP

Supporting Ukraine: Don’t subsidize a foreign war.

Supporting Israel: Subsidize a foreign war.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:17 pm

Wars,plural. Israel fights a lot of wars, as you might expect given, you know, all of it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:20 pm

Wars,plural. Israel fights a lot of wars, as you might expect given, you know, all of it.
Oh the more than one thing at a time. Gotcha.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:40 pm

Do I have this right for the GOP

Supporting Ukraine: Don’t subsidize a foreign war.

Supporting Israel: Subsidize a foreign war.
In the same way that if you watched someone hit a lady on the internet, you wouldn't drive to their house and kick their dick off...but if you saw someone hit your wife, you would react rather harshly...

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:18 am

That seems….not applicable here.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:47 am

As a libertarian, I am generally supportive of open borders and free migration. The problem is that open borders are incompatible with a welfare state. If immigrants have no ability to make financial demands upon me (whether directly or indirectly through taxation), then I don't care how many come in, where they go, or what they do. But if those immigrants have the ability to demand services that come out of my paycheck (again, directly or indirectly), then I care very much not only how many people enter the country, but who they are in terms of whether they have the ability to support themselves and not be a financial burden. So long as immigrants can demand things like housing, transportation, etc. from the government, then the US should control its borders.
This x 1000

I very much want to control the borders to ensure that no criminals are admitted and that the volume is managable. Hint - the volume has not been managable in Sweden during the last 10 years.

You also need to take the change in culture into account. Malmö had one of the largest populations of jews after the second world war. This weekend, there were a lot of people celebrating and waving Palestinian flags...

It is a very cynical approach, but I would welcome people with skills in demand, for example dentists and doctors. Analphabets without skills, that will cost the taxpayers much more money than they put into the system, not so much.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:50 am

Well, we definitely don't want to go down the road of having a violent America by allowing immigrants to enter.