Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:59 am

I think the Fox News stuff confirms what I had already assumed... it's a huge grift. Beyond closed doors, these are actually sane people. I've never been too confident the Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh, Crowder, etc. but the Fox News people? Yeah... they simply grifters that know better, but want that money.
It's worse, they're all entertainers. This is all the rushification of politics, and of course, this isn't unique to republicans (see John Stewart, Rachel Maddow, Al Franken).

But it's just funnier with Republicans, sorry it just is. They cultivate defective people. the idiots, the morons, people that watch Law and Order SVU when it premiers, think that Sons of Anarchy is the best modern TV drama, etc.

Just look at Project Veritas, James O'Keefe is a theater kid, part of the reason he got kicked out of his organization was because he spent thousands of dollars for the staff to travel to some community theater to watch him be in Oklahoma. Politics is the outlet for people hat couldn't make it in hollywood, probably why so many of them are so obsessed with celebrities.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am

Republicans will probably introduced a bill to eliminate weekends.
"Real Americans want to work 7 days a week!"

Even when I was in school, I was always baffled by the notion that working tirelessly/60+ hours a week to achieve the American Dream and set your lineage up for a better life seemed like the biggest load of horse manure around. I guess I've always been a lazy mofo though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:16 am

...the morons that think that Sons of Anarchy is the best modern TV drama, etc.
Poor PFiDC, not even here to defend himself.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:17 am

I'm fine some of these idiots wanting to work 60+ hours per week to prove themselves to absolutely nobody. Burn out early, clowns.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:31 am

When I was in college I did a couple days shadowing my uncle who works in Investment Banking. Honestly couldn't handle it. He makes an insane amount of money, but his Monday to Friday was wake up at 4, quick workout at home because otherwise there's zero time in the day, get to the office around 6 depending on how long the drive thru at Starbucks was, basically spend all day sitting at his terminal because otherwise you miss market moves, start wrapping **** up around 6, home by 7, eat dinner, sit down to watch TV, pass out on the couch around 9, wake up and go to bed around midnight, and then do it all over again. At this point he was senior and experienced enough to do "less" time. The kiss ass summer intern they had was usually in around 4 and no one knew what time he actually left for the day but it was after everyone else. Took me one day to say no thanks to that life no matter the money. Now he wants to retire (turns 60 this year) but can't stand the thought of being with my aunt all day every day lol.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:32 am

the worst possible life

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:36 am

...the morons that think that Sons of Anarchy is the best modern TV drama, etc.
Poor PFiDC, not even here to defend himself.
It's a great show.

I think there is a sort of evident difference between the like elite prestige TV content mills. I think like showtime and FX have a similar thing going, AMC has their thing, and the kings at HBO have a whole other level for elite TV.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 am

My dad's cousin was an engineer and a workaholic, putting in 60+ hours a week, travelling to mine sites several states away for long durations, etc. I suppose it paid off financially. He's a millionaire many times over, but I can't help but wonder the cost. He missed out on most of his kids growing up. His marriage is pretty much on paper only. He never took vacations. He recently retired at 72 or 73, but only because the owner sold the company, otherwise I'm pretty sure he would have worked until he died. I just don't see the point.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:42 am

It's a great show.

I think there is a sort of evident difference between the like elite prestige TV content mills. I think like showtime and FX have a similar thing going, AMC has their thing, and the kings at HBO have a whole other level for elite TV.
I enjoyed SOA for what it was. SOA, Animal Kingdom, Yellowstone, all seem like solid B-tier shows to me. They have a very specific formula and do it well, but they're mostly interchangeable. Just swap out the second act motorcycle chase for a surfing montage, or several minutes of horses running, stopping, and sliding. They're all entertaining, but the predictability of the the formula keeps them from hitting that upper echelon, imo.

Edit: One thing I've learned as a writer that boggled my mind is that most genre readers (and presumably tv and movie viewers) crave that predictability. They seek out those tropes and many don't venture far from a very limited comfort range. Anything that moves even a little too far from what they know and expect disappoints them.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:58 am

It's a great show.

I enjoyed SOA for what it was. SOA, Animal Kingdom, Yellowstone, all seem like solid B-tier shows to me. They have a very specific formula and do it well, but they're mostly interchangeable. Just swap out the second act motorcycle chase for a surfing montage, or several minutes of horses running, stopping, and sliding. They're all entertaining, but the predictability of the the formula keeps them from hitting that upper echelon, imo.

Edit: One thing I've learned as a writer that boggled my mind is that most genre readers (and presumably tv and movie viewers) crave that predictability. They seek out those tropes and many don't venture far from a very limited comfort range. Anything that moves even a little too far from what they know and expect disappoints them.
Good acting can cover for weak writing in a lot of these shows. That's what's so fascinating about SOA to me. There is some solid work from Pearlman on that show, and I buy Peg Bundy in that role, but my god, Jax's performances are a sight to behold. I'd love to see some outtakes, there must be a Christopher Walken type behind the camera demanding "more strutting" after every cut.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 pm

Since we veered into TV in the political thread, how about Corey Matthews for Congress?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/08/politics ... index.html

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Only if Topenga comes with him.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:45 pm

Politics is entertainment

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:58 pm

He tried and failed to get a seat on the West Hollywood City Council? Lol

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:59 pm

All three of the other declared candidates for Schiff's seat come from varying levels of entertainment/theater backgrounds prior to politics.

But considering the locale, I'm not sure that's all that alarming.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:42 pm

Interfaith… This country is definitely fine. We’re doing great.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:53 pm

Wonder if that'll apply to a Methodist marrying a Presbyterian, or if they only want to prevent Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and Hinduists from marrying "good Christians".

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:40 pm

Interfaith… This country is definitely fine. We’re doing great.
I don't see anything in the bill that would permit county clerks to refuse to certify marriage licenses. The bill says that "A person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person's conscience or religious beliefs." From the existing statutes, most particularly, Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 36-3-301 to 36-3-305, it is crystal clear that the act of "solemnization" is the performance of the wedding ceremony itself and not the issuance of a license.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:42 pm

So a justice of the peace, or whatever could refuse to do their job? You'd have to go find somebody else to do it?
Last edited by CBear3 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:02 pm

So a justice of the peace, or whatever could refuse to do their job? You'd have to go find somebody else to do it?
Yes, some other member who falls into one of these classes:

All regular ministers, preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis and other spiritual leaders of every religious belief … all members of the county legislative bodies, county mayors, judges, chancellors, former chancellors and former judges of this state, former county executives or county mayors of this state, former members of quarterly county courts or county commissions, the governor, the speaker of the senate and former speakers of the senate, the speaker of the house of representatives and former speakers of the house of representatives, members and former members of the general assembly … law enforcement chaplains duly appointed by the heads of authorized state and local law enforcement agencies, members of the legislative body of any municipality in this state, the county clerk of each county, former county clerks of this state … notaries public, and the mayor of any municipality in this state, [including] the several judges of the United States courts, including United States magistrates, United States bankruptcy judges, and federal administrative law judges, who are citizens of Tennessee….

Tenn. Code Ann. § 36-3-301.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:03 pm

Okay so then what does this bill solve? Religious figures in Tennessee can already refuse to "solemnize" if the wedding conflicts with their religious beliefs. This bill would extend that anybody who is legally allowed to solemnize including elected officials, judges, county clerks, and notary publics. They already banned online ordained ministers in 2019, though that's currently in a legal battle.

If you think this isn't being done with the intention of circumventing the respect for marriage act, you have way too much faith in the republican party.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:18 pm

As someone who hangs my certificate of ordination as a minister of the Universal Life Church on the wall (next to my ABCD - employee of the month - award from a video game publisher I once worked for), and who was myself married in a ceremony officiated by another ULC minister, I find the banning of such services from secular marriage administration to be an affront to good and decent things.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:19 pm

And did this 'solemnizing of marriage' stuff come about after that clerk in Kentucky stood her ground?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:27 pm

ohhhh, "solemnizing"

I thought you said...never mind

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:29 pm

I suppose the bill would solve the question of whether non-religious officiants would be required to officiate a ceremony when they don't want to. Is this a response to the respect for marriage act? Most certainly. Do I have faith in the Republican party? Pretty much none.

I'm not saying that the bill is necessary or a good idea. But the New Republic article says, "The bill could allow county clerks to deny marriage licenses to same-sex, interfaith, or interracial couples in Tennessee." I do not believe that is an accurate statement. I note that in making that claim the article links to an article from the Memphis Flyer (a local free "alternative paper" that seems akin to the Pittsburgh City Paper), and that article in turn quotes a local activist for the assertion that the bill would permit clerks to refuse to issue licenses. So the basis for that assertion is not, for example, some legal analysis from a lawyer or legislator, but rather the say-so of some guy who is opposed to the bill.