Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:12 am

Heard that before
Ehhh... it was dismissed because the "election was stolen" but now they should know that this recipe ain't gonna work.

Worst economy in decades with history on their side and they still couldn't gain the ground they needed as a party. If that doesn't cause a directional shift back to sanity, nothing will.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:15 am

Worst economy in decades?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:15 am

I distrust their self-awareness...or ability thereof...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:21 am

I really hope Trump decides to run for POTUS. I think Trump going nuclear during the primaries is the only way the democrats hold onto the white house in 2024 - unless inflation disappears within the next 12 months, and I sure don't see that happening.
What? I think yesterday's results show the exact opposite. There's no way the dems lose the white house in 2024.

Matter of fact I'm willing to bet DeSantis holds off until 2028 to run because there's no way the trump stink wears off by 2024, so they'll either run trump or some sacrificial lamb.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:22 am

I'm hoping for a Trump 3rd party run for President. Now is the time for the MAGA party.
This is where I'm putting all my election betting odds money.
Yep, not sure people are appreciating how Trump has switched his brand to an influence peddling operation. He has all the leverage in the party negotiations, so mostly likely case is Desantis is forced to wait till 2028

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 am

That didn't take long

Between yesterday and today, DeSantis gained 12% (currently at 27%) as the next President in election betting markets. Trump lost 14% (currently at 18%).

In terms of parties, Democrats picked 2%. Republicans still ahead 57%-40%.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am

I think DeSantis is enough of a polarizing dadhole that once he's in the spotlight he'll help motivate the opposition. Maybe not to the same degree as Trump, but he's still an anti-abortion hardliner who likes to use tax payer money to send migrants to blue states.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am

I'm hoping for a Trump 3rd party run for President. Now is the time for the MAGA party.
This would help the GOP more than the dems. GOP is gonna lose anyway in 2024. That would serve as the Trump divorce for future elections.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 am

For the more traditional republicans/conservatives in this thread that have voted against trump/his ilk - who would you like to see run for president?
IMO, the obvious answer is DeSantis. That dude is going to have a huge following, and everyone's putting to him saving Florida.
Trump motivates democrats and undecideds to go out and vote against him. DeSantis won't elicit that same emotional response from the opposition. I think it's pretty clear if the GOP wants to win the WH, it has to be DeSantis.
I don't know man, desantis is a pretty mean spirited guy and legislates out of spite. He will drum up plenty of motivation from dems

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:27 am

For the more traditional republicans/conservatives in this thread that have voted against trump/his ilk - who would you like to see run for president?
IMO, the obvious answer is DeSantis. That dude is going to have a huge following, and everyone's putting to him saving Florida.
Trump motivates democrats and undecideds to go out and vote against him. DeSantis won't elicit that same emotional response from the opposition. I think it's pretty clear if the GOP wants to win the WH, it has to be DeSantis.
DeSantis flipped miami-dade and other traditionally blue counties in Florida. So that's something. But I don't know enough about his policies to be able to answer the obhave question tbh. For me to vote I'd need somebody that I'm excited about voting for and I don't see that happening any time soon

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:27 am

Mastriano only won Lancaster County by about 5 points. Oz won by 17.
I can't think of a worst candidate for any political office.
Weren't the Dems buying ads to promote him during primaries knowing he'd be an easy win (for the Dems) come yesterday? Or was that someone else.
I seem to recall that in the last couple weeks before the primary, yes.

"Please don't throw me in that briar patch!"

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:28 am

I thought obhave was asking who moderate Republicans want to see on a national ticket. Not which extremist they'll ultimately put there.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:32 am

The only issue is if it's not Trump, it'll just be a Trump 2.0 candidate
Yes, my fear is that the takeaway will be that 'Trump' is the problem, not Trumpism.

It's hard to overcome the sway he holds, because so many of 'his' candidates murder durdured the viable option in the primary process; by and large GOP voters in most of the country still have a favorable view ofTrump. The fudgey middle bit that might vote either way, the 3-5% that's up for grabs in most elections, want no part of Donald John anymore. They were willing to have a laugh and try "what have you got to lose" in 2016, but this is now three elections in a row where the Trumpy stuff has gotten progressively worse results.

Every indication - even the betting odds! - was that 2022 was going to be a big deal, and it ended up being a raindrop.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:32 am

I thought obhave was asking who moderate Republicans want to see on a national ticket. Not which extremist they'll ultimately put there.
That was what I was going for. DeSantis doesn't seem like the candidate for the Republicans that voted democrat because of MAGA. His policies are very similar to Trump or what the MAGA people want. He just has more political cunning, from what I've discerned

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:33 am

I don't know man, desantis is a pretty mean spirited guy and legislates out of spite. He will drum up plenty of motivation from dems
For people who have been following, yes absolutely. Trump is on another level. The democrats will have to do some work to put the spotlight on DeSantis. With Trump they'd just sit back and let his reputation do the work.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:34 am

The only issue is if it's not Trump, it'll just be a Trump 2.0 candidate
Yes, my fear is that the takeaway will be that 'Trump' is the problem, not Trumpism.

It's hard to overcome the sway he holds, because so many of 'his' candidates murder durdured the viable option in the primary process; by and large GOP voters in most of the country still have a favorable view ofTrump. The fudgey middle bit that might vote either way, the 3-5% that's up for grabs in most elections, want no part of Donald John anymore. They were willing to have a laugh and try "what have you got to lose" in 2016, but this is now three elections in a row where the Trumpy stuff has gotten progressively worse results.

Every indication - even the betting odds! - was that 2022 was going to be a big deal, and it ended up being a raindrop.
To support this MTG is to get more political power with her re-election, which means trumpism is not dead.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:36 am

**** face trump blaming his wife on the losses is pure gold. We're back baby
haha is this true? Why has nobody on the red side ever pointed out that Trump blames everything and anyone else before him. I don't know how people handle that, but man that has to be tiring.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:38 am

That was what I was going for. DeSantis doesn't seem like the candidate for the Republicans that voted democrat because of MAGA. His policies are very similar to Trump or what the MAGA people want. He just has more political cunning, from what I've discerned
I know it doesn't work this way as 8 years would've elapsed, a very turbulent 8 years, but this was the 2016 GOP Primary field:

Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Ben Carson
Jeb Bush
Rand Paul
Mike Huckabee
Carly Fiorina
Chris Christie
Jim Gilmore
Rick Santorum
George Pataki
Lindsey Graham
Bobby Jindal
Mark Everson
Scott Walker
Rick Perry

Out of that group I was most behind Kasich, but he's 70 now. Nobody else jumps out at me anymore, so I imagine it has to be a completely fresh face that is also not smeared in Trump feces. That's going to be tough. Maybe The Rock? :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:38 am

Fetterman may be flawed but he is a Real Pennsylvanian.
Unlike that poser Ben Franklin. He was born in Boston!!!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:39 am

Solid point.

When you're right you're right, what can I say.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 am

I know it doesn't work this way as 8 years would've elapsed, a very turbulent 8 years, but this was the 2016 GOP Primary field:

Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Ben Carson
Jeb Bush
Rand Paul
Mike Huckabee
Carly Fiorina
Chris Christie
Jim Gilmore
Rick Santorum
George Pataki
Lindsey Graham
Bobby Jindal
Mark Everson
Scott Walker
Rick Perry

Out of that group I was most behind Kasich, but he's 70 now. Nobody else jumps out at me anymore, so I imagine it has to be a completely fresh face that is also not smeared in Trump feces. That's going to be tough. Maybe The Rock? :lol:
Give me Mark Cuban

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 am

Source of the post Give me Mark Cuban
Is he even a Republican?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 am

But yeah that's the thing. It's been so trumpy, there haven't been many normal candidates to really think of at the moment

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am

Source of the post Give me Mark Cuban
Is he even a Republican?
I think he's independent. He's made some comments he'd align with republicans if they weren't crazy. I think

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:46 am

I'd have a hard time backing anyone with no political experience on a presidential ticket. We tried the 'a businessman could do it better' and that was a complete shitshow. How much of that was the person being ****, I'm not sure, but reloading with a different rich guy with no experience would be a tough pill.