Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 am

The Pennsylvania secretary of state’s office has released the names of at least 7,000 voters whose ballots have been flagged for errors, but Levine said that number will grow through Election Day as more ballots arrive — and also because some counties have chosen not to review mail ballots, notify voters of errors or share the information with the state.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... p-lawsuit/
Yeah, GOP is saying they don’t have the correct date format on them so they’re invalid. Dems going with the common sense play of something like that being a barrier to vote.

I can’t imagine the founding fathers wanting to invalidate a vote because of something like that but fascists gonna fascist for the power.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:57 am

The problem with it is, it's just a meaningless data point. That date is used for nothing. The only date that matters is the postmark date, so whatever date the person filled out the ballot is not relevant. Again, it's just a pretense to challenge votes, so say the republicans have this challenge in place, what if they are down by just a little, then they can say, wait, we remove our challenge and want those votes counted now.

Cheaters mindset.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:59 am

I think it's silly as well, but if you can't follow the directions that are clear as day when you mail in your ballot, you really don't have any reason to complain for your vote being thrown out. Just follow directions.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:04 am

I think it's silly as well, but if you can't follow the directions that are clear as day when you mail in your ballot, you really don't have any reason to complain for your vote being thrown out. Just follow directions.
Co-sign

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:05 am

Sure. Or we could just make it as easy as possible to vote and remove unnecessary hurdles, as seemingly clear as they may be.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:05 am

Wrote myself in for the one opening that only had an “R” running. It’s the little things.

I voted for "Bob from top gun" in that slot
The stealth pilot? Nice
He deserves it as much as anyone.
His father was President of the United States. Definitely deserves it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 am

Either way, based on the population of rejected ballots from Allegheny county, i support trashing those ballots. It's mostly old people.

I reject the notion in principle because it's a bad faith challenge.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 am

Sure. Or we could just make it as easy as possible to vote and remove unnecessary hurdles, as seemingly clear as they may be.
This is the correct answer. Requiring information that has no bearing on the actual vote is absurd, regardless of the dummy who didn't include it.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:08 am

What hurdles? Reading directions? I just don't get it. If you don't follow directions when you vote in person your vote doesn't count either. At some point people have to take responsibility for being dumb and not reading/following directions.

This is especially true for mail in ballots. You requested to mail it in so you didn't have to go in person. That is fine. By doing that you need to read and follow the directions to have your vote count. That is not a hurdle. That is being a functioning adult.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:09 am

I'm annoyed that we still have to physically go to a polling place to vote. It's 2022 damnit. Why can't I vote from my phone?
I know absolutely nothing about cyber security or IT or whatever. I did, however, vote on my phone for So You Think You Can Dance.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:09 am

Washington Post just gave Biden the "Bottomless Pinocchio" rating one day before elections:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/07/washingto ... pinocchio/

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:13 am

I'm annoyed that we still have to physically go to a polling place to vote. It's 2022 damnit. Why can't I vote from my phone?
I know absolutely nothing about cyber security or IT or whatever. I did, however, vote on my phone for So You Think You Can Dance.
You know if this were the case the voting mechanism would be designed by some CEO of Twitter or other obscure social platform.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:15 am

What hurdles? Reading directions? I just don't get it. If you don't follow directions when you vote in person your vote doesn't count either. At some point people have to take responsibility for being dumb and not reading/following directions.

This is especially true for mail in ballots. You requested to mail it in so you didn't have to go in person. That is fine. By doing that you need to read and follow the directions to have your vote count. That is not a hurdle. That is being a functioning adult.
It's an unnecessary step that is only being used to throw away votes. The date is not used in tabulating at all. So why bother with it? Why put something on the ballot that has nothing to do with how your vote is counted, but CAN disqualify your vote? That's a hurdle that doesn't need to exist.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:15 am

Dude needs to retire.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:16 am

You know if this were the case the voting mechanism would be designed by some CEO of Twitter or other obscure social platform.
In that case, I suggest Tom from Myspace.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:16 am

It's an unnecessary step that is only being used to throw away votes. The date is not used in tabulating at all. So why bother with it? Why put something on the ballot that has nothing to do with how your vote is counted, but CAN disqualify your vote? That's a hurdle that doesn't need to exist.
I'll just agree to disagree :fist:

Edit: I should say I agree that it shouldn't be there. It's not needed. With that said ..it is there now and is part of the rules of filling out a mail in ballot. Since that is the case people need to follow the rules to have their vote counted.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:18 am

Can't wait for fraud claims when votes are still being counted on Friday because Republicans are making it difficult to count them.

It's the dude on the bicycle meme.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:19 am

I'll just agree to disagree :fist:

Edit: I should say I agree that it shouldn't be there. It's not needed. With that said ..it is there now and is part of the rules of filling out a mail in ballot. Since that is the case people need to follow the rules to have their vote counted.
I'm not even arguing if those ballots should be counted as the law currently exists. I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be there, which we agree on it seems. I don't know enough about how the rules are written (shocking I know) to argue that those ballots should be counted regardless.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:24 am

Also, the church smelled like straight piss and I saw multiple old people being led around by a younger person that didn’t even know where they were. Certainly their votes were cast with good cognitive function.
Similar to my mom taking her intellectually disabled adult foster children, who can't speak in complete sentences, out to vote.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am

Just because a rule is a bad rule doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed... and it applies to all voters equally. Idk how the date field debate is a partisan thing

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:26 am

Same applies to voter ID.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:26 am

Source of the post Idk how the date field debate is a partisan thing
My guess is both the GOP and dems believe the majority of mail-ins will go for the democrats. So the GOP are fighting to not count incorrectly/undated ballots while the dems are fighting to count them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:27 am

Same applies to voter ID.
Speaking of - didn't show my ID when asked, no issues. Also saw that my signature on their voting book is basically a legible version of my signature. I haven't signed that way in decades, so my signatures didn't even come close to matching.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am

I think you only have to show it the first time you vote at a new polling place.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:30 am

Yeah I've never been asked to show my ID. I show it anyway because it's easier than spelling my name.