Politics And Current Events

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Since the end of March, Ukraine has taken back more territory than it has lost.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:43 pm

Sounds like our limited intervention was prudent.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Kind of incredible given the political makeup of York that the Governor and Lt Governor are both Democrats who grew up there.

I had two separate girlfriends with the same first name in the early 90s, one went to York College and the other lived there. Neither was deserving of the title of Mrs. Franchise.

Actually one dumped me like hot garbage when we went back to our separate colleges and the other was sleeping with everybody. Facts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:45 pm

Was visiting my folks today in Bedford County. The mail lady dropped off a small package to my dad. He opened it up and it was a couple of Fetterman signs. I asked him why he needed 2. He said “well, the first one is definitely getting stolen. I went through 6 Biden signs before I hung it on the barn instead of in the front yard. Why? You want one?” :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:26 pm

This is honestly an awful idea. Just irresponsible.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/07/30 ... monkeypox/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Also, quotes like these are maddening
“Monkeypox is already suffering from stigma so I think that’s another reason to be very careful with fully associating gay and bisexual men and monkeypox,” said Dr. Jorge Salinas, a Stanford University hospital epidemiologist. “This is an infectious disease that does not discriminate.”
This is politics invading medicine. Something like 97% of cases are gay men. A medical doctor should be strongly advising the event to be canceled. It's reckless and it will likely be a superspreader event

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:29 am

I have no issue with adults making their own choices and living with the consequences of those actions.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:31 am

I can understand the stigmatizing idea, but at the same time, there’s a reality that the disease is largely among that population at the moment.

For instance, I see it no different from when covid hit. My brother planned a visit and I asked him to cancel it. He lives in Manhattan. Good chance he would be infected at the time. Turned out to be correct as he had it right around the time he planned to visit.

At the same time, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think there are people staying away from gay men (even monogamous/married ones) on purpose in areas that the disease haven’t hit yet because of the outbreak in the cities. I’d imagine that’s the stigmatization they’re concerned about.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:09 am

I have no issue with adults making their own choices and living with the consequences of those actions.
Yes. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the event

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:39 am

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:40 pm

“Monkeypox is already suffering from stigma so I think that’s another reason to be very careful with fully associating gay and bisexual men and monkeypox,” said Dr. Jorge Salinas, a Stanford University hospital epidemiologist. “This is an infectious disease that does not discriminate.”
This is politics invading medicine. Something like 97% of cases are gay men. A medical doctor should be strongly advising the event to be canceled. It's reckless and it will likely be a superspreader event

Only popping in to ask this question/raise a point, then I'll pop back out:

Are 97% of cases gay men because only gay men are contracting it, or is it because we're only testing gay men and extreme outliers with the rash due to the early perception of the disease, and not the general population who develop the same symptoms?

Anecdotal evidence, but there was a woman in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago who came down with monkeypox/a monkeypox-like rash, but no one would test her for it because she wasn't a gay man, and those places she went for testing were not prepared to test for monkeypox specifically.

Seems like this is all another public health failure akin to early COVID in terms of unpreparedness to deal with a new-ish virus coming into the population.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pm

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:48 pm

the ultimate bad lie

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:56 pm

heh

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:10 pm

Re: Monkeypox; It’s also fewer people than attend a WNBA game in the grand scheme of things.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:17 pm

Are 97% of cases gay men because only gay men are contracting it, or is it because we're only testing gay men and extreme outliers with the rash due to the early perception of the disease, and not the general population who develop the same symptoms?

Anecdotal evidence, but there was a woman in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago who came down with monkeypox/a monkeypox-like rash, but no one would test her for it because she wasn't a gay man, and those places she went for testing were not prepared to test for monkeypox specifically.

Seems like this is all another public health failure akin to early COVID in terms of unpreparedness to deal with a new-ish virus coming into the population.
Those questions are relevant, but not in this instance. There is very clearly a widespread outbreak in the gay community. The prudent course of action is to not hold events like that. Like others have said, if they want to have a good time and face the consequences, let them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:29 pm

Remember when AIDS was called GRID.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:34 pm

I do not remember that. No.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:07 pm

I do not remember that. No.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:10 pm

I do because I just googled it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:19 pm

Saw a headline the other day that said that heterosexuals now outpace homosexuals in getting HIV.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:22 pm

*flex*

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:52 pm

Guessing more widespread PrEP usage among sexually active homosexuals
and more butt stuff for straighties

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:12 pm

do they include newborns who are infected in the womb into that stat? I wonder how much, if any, sway that has

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:11 pm

None of you schmoes at least saw "And The Band Played On"?