Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:37 am

Seems like blue states that elect “normal” republicans all seem very happy with their govs.

Did the democrats do anything to boost mastriano? And if so, is there daylight between him and whoever he was ip against?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:42 am

I mean, I don't read that thinking Mikey is wrong at all. Roe Vs. Wade was a boogeyman used by both parties to capture votes. One side finally won and cashed in on it. The democrats had chances throughout the years to figure it out and they couldn't.
Nope, I used a synonym...Democrats are absolved. Hooray! Suck it, ladies...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:42 am

I mean, this is just ****, but it is fodder for the centrist media to get all worked up about.
God forbid guys like him and Mastriano actually win. Gambling on there not being that many stupid voters seems like a fool's errand.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:46 am

with the lockdown cornerbacks of Manchin and Sinema I can’t see anything being codified
Like I said... until they can get their sh*t together. It'll take getting a few more seats to not have to worry about what Manchin or Sinema think.
Did the democrats do anything to boost mastriano? And if so, is there daylight between him and whoever he was ip against?
The republican primary had a handful of people that ran the range of semi MAGA to full normal. At the last minute there was some effort to combine efforts behind Lou Barletta who was less psycho than Mastriano. He, in fact, said he'll put his full support behind Mastriano. I believe Corman dropped out just so that Barletta could have a chance as he backed him at the last moment.

As far as the Democrats and "boosting" mastriano. I don't know what that means. If you mean that very normal people find him to be an evil individual and the MAGA crew loves being heels, then sure.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:48 am

@Troy Loney - were we talking about Gun Free Zones? Looks like it's only designated to court-houses etc, in most states. Making the "gun-free zone" mall, essentially useless, and someone could carry there. As it's unenforceable.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-polic ... e%20public.

Park City Center - was a 'gun free policy'

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/ ... 43656.html
At the news conference Friday, Adams acknowledged that the mall, which is privately owned, has a policy that prohibits firearms on the premises.

“However, that is a policy only,” she said. “Any civilian that can legally possess a firearm, has a license to carry, is not violating a criminal law by being in the mall with a weapon.”

“No Firearms” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in state law as being off limits to those with permits to carry a concealed firearm.

“Enforcing the policy is the responsibility of Park City,” said Sean McBryan, a spokesperson for the district attorney's office. “If an individual who is in violation of the policy refuses to comply or refuses to leave the premises, law enforcement would be notified of the trespass.”

McBryan added that it would be up to other privately owned businesses to enforce their no-firearm policies and those who don't comply could face trespassing charges.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:56 am

(to use a favorite phrase of my grandfather) a fart in a windstorm.
i can see why you find remy amusing

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:57 am

@Troy Loney - were we talking about Gun Free Zones? Looks like it's only designated to court-houses etc, in most states. Making the "gun-free zone" mall, essentially useless, and someone could carry there. As it's unenforceable.

At the news conference Friday, Adams acknowledged that the mall, which is privately owned, has a policy that prohibits firearms on the premises.

“However, that is a policy only,” she said. “Any civilian that can legally possess a firearm, has a license to carry, is not violating a criminal law by being in the mall with a weapon.”

“No Firearms” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in state law as being off limits to those with permits to carry a concealed firearm.

“Enforcing the policy is the responsibility of Park City,” said Sean McBryan, a spokesperson for the district attorney's office. “If an individual who is in violation of the policy refuses to comply or refuses to leave the premises, law enforcement would be notified of the trespass.”

McBryan added that it would be up to other privately owned businesses to enforce their no-firearm policies and those who don't comply could face trespassing charges.
Right, I mean, I think this just get's into the public versus private property thing. It's not illegal to carry a weapon somewhere that has a private policy barring them. But a sporting event or concert can not allow you to enter with a gun. Is that a "gun free zone"?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:00 am

I look at that as an event more than a public place I guess. It's a gun-free zone as they have detectors that won't let you in, and the business can say so there.

A mall, has basically no say, because they can't really control who comes in and out at the point of entry.

I don't think an arena matters in the scenario that just happened though..

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:03 am

with the lockdown cornerbacks of Manchin and Sinema I can’t see anything being codified
Like I said... until they can get their sh*t together. It'll take getting a few more seats to not have to worry about what Manchin or Sinema think.
The republican primary had a handful of people that ran the range of semi MAGA to full normal. At the last minute there was some effort to combine efforts behind Lou Barletta who was less psycho than Mastriano. He, in fact, said he'll put his full support behind Mastriano. I believe Corman dropped out just so that Barletta could have a chance as he backed him at the last moment.

As far as the Democrats and "boosting" mastriano. I don't know what that means. If you mean that very normal people find him to be an evil individual and the MAGA crew loves being heels, then sure.

I believe the Democrats provided ads to boost Mastriano so he'd win the primary. A friend (and local Green Party candidate) just tweeted these articles:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/1 ... e-00046423

https://billypenn.com/2022/05/17/shapir ... nor-trump/
During the primary, Shapiro’s campaign paid for an ad spotlighting Mastriano, sharing views like the retired colonel’s support for complete abortion bans and his advocacy for an audit of the 2020 election. The ad paints a pretty clear picture, stating, “If Mastriano wins, it’s a win for what Donald Trump stands for.”

That tactic has been unsuccessful for several past Democratic candidates who believed they could wield anti-Trump sentiment to their benefit, including Hilary Clinton in 2016 and Terry McAuliffe’s losing 2021 campaign to Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:17 am

I look at that as an event more than a public place I guess. It's a gun-free zone as they have detectors that won't let you in, and the business can say so there.

A mall, has basically no say, because they can't really control who comes in and out at the point of entry.

A mall is not really a "public" space though. And right, the mall isn't going to install the necessary means to enforce a "no gun" policy. But, they can say no guns and kick you out if someone see's you carrying.

So I think this went into more of an enforceability question, and I don't think that "gun-free zones" have been deemed unconstitutional, because clearly some places bar you from being armed.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 am

I believe the Democrats provided ads to boost Mastriano so he'd win the primary. A friend (and local Green Party candidate) just tweeted these articles:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/1 ... e-00046423

https://billypenn.com/2022/05/17/shapir ... nor-trump/
During the primary, Shapiro’s campaign paid for an ad spotlighting Mastriano, sharing views like the retired colonel’s support for complete abortion bans and his advocacy for an audit of the 2020 election. The ad paints a pretty clear picture, stating, “If Mastriano wins, it’s a win for what Donald Trump stands for.”

That tactic has been unsuccessful for several past Democratic candidates who believed they could wield anti-Trump sentiment to their benefit, including Hilary Clinton in 2016 and Terry McAuliffe’s losing 2021 campaign to Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin.
[/quote]

So yes, this is bad.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:27 am

Shocking, GOP making moves to save themselves from this court

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:36 am

I mean, this is just ****, but it is fodder for the centrist media to get all worked up about.
I get the strategy, but this may be the most obvious 'be careful what you wish for' of all time. You want those people out of politics, not 1 step from power. Shapiro vs. Mastriano is not a slam dunk...538 has it 'leaning democrat' with projections around Shapiro 52% of the vote. That's basically one Shapiro misstep from a tossup...in a mid-term where economy and crime may be the top 2 issues. That's...uncomforable.

They basically just pushed for a Trump vs. Hillary matchup, so.......yeah.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:05 am

A mall is not really a "public" space though. And right, the mall isn't going to install the necessary means to enforce a "no gun" policy. But, they can say no guns and kick you out if someone sees you carrying.

So I think this went into more of an enforceability question, and I don't think that "gun-free zones" have been deemed unconstitutional, because clearly some places bar you from being armed.
Right but if it's concealed carrying, unless someone spots you, they can't do anything about it. Much less, they could get you for trespassing if you don't leave, but they can't do anything about the gun. So it doesn't really deter anyone from not carrying.

Where you couldn't even conceal into an arena or event with metal detector.

Open carry is a different animal, and you get what you get if you're dumb enough to do it.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:55 am

NBD amirite

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:57 am

see, the problem is that people who legit care about carbon pollution etc and would like to actually do something about it spend too much time making symbolic gestures at faux protests - simulating the arrest of women by putting their hands behind their backs- thereby committing what's otherwise known as 'political fallacy'
Last edited by crusherstasiak on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 pm

I'm pretty much at the point where I know we are genuinely **** and nothing will get done about it, so might as well take off work, go swimming and play videogames with the kids and be happy. Sure there are a few people in government that would really like to do some good, but they get pushed to the back from those who already figured out how to keep control as is so they benefit from it. It's pretty silly to think this government is watching out for me anymore. They can all get ****.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 pm

until our federal congress can get their sh*t together
:lol: :lol: :lol:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:11 pm

If they would have had a stronger policy I bet that shooter would have followed it

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Yinz are soft in the head if you think they were faking being cuffed.
They were not cuffed. So I'm not sure what the hands-behind-the-back posture was meant for other than to imply that they were.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Yinz are soft in the head if you think they were faking being cuffed.
They were not cuffed. So I'm not sure what the hands-behind-the-back posture was meant for other than to imply that they were.
Maybe the officers told them to put their hands behind their back?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Normal behavior IMO. Very strong message and showing. Hopefully they do more of that

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:38 pm

I have wasted five minutes of my life trying to game out the "faking being handcuffed" thing.

Granted, it looks their hands are cuffed, until of course they move them and are clearly not handcuffed.

So, we're to assume the explanation is that they conspired to adopt that pose for the visual, that was going to be clearly debunked by all the people taking pictures and photos?

So yes, Meow was quickly correct in pointing out the level of mental abilities needed to accept that notion.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:56 pm

Chalk another one up to ya boy