Politics And Current Events

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:15 pm

The adoption angle is **** laughable. With IVF, adoption is absolutely positively the last option in 99 percent of peoples eyes. Everyone wants their own child and it can be done for almost everyone now.

This isn’t 1945 when penicillin was just produced.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:16 pm

The adoption thing also strikes me as funny cause there is no shortage of kids already in need of adoption and not enough people to adopt them.

There are plenty of older children in the foster/adoption system who need homes. But if we're talking about infants, then there is absolutely a shortage of adoptable infants, and prospective adoptive parents prefer infants over older children.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... rd/620258/

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:22 pm

I was not trying to impute goodness or badness to the options—merely report them. I would note, however, that not wanting to raise a(nother) child is a problem that can be solved by adoption.
Oh can you share some stats on how quickly kids get adopted?
Around 62% of infants put up for adoption are adopted within the first month after birth. Again, there's a big difference between the adoption rates for infants and the adoption rate for older children.

https://adoption-alliance.com/the-proce ... -in-texas/

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Uvalde Chief claiming bodycam footage has been corrupted by a server and is unusable.

So they probably shot a kid didn’t they.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:27 pm

Send those HDDs to a forensic analyst.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm

Bad news for you, outlawing abortion is going to increase that population of those older kids seeking adoption and have probably very little impact on the infant adoption numbers.

Just not sure you are able/willing to consider the range of life experiences these women are in when making the decision to terminate the pregnancy. It’s not like these are all 20 something’s that dont want kids. These are all women that are pressed in any number of ways that would make the burden of raising a child heavy. If you remove the option to abort, they aren’t all eager to just hand the baby over, they will want the kid, and in plenty of cases, years down the line, those kids end up in foster care because life.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Bad news for you, outlawing abortion is going to increase that population of those older kids seeking adoption and have probably very little impact on the infant adoption numbers.

Just not sure you are able/willing to consider the range of life experiences these women are in when making the decision to terminate the pregnancy. It’s not like these are all 20 something’s that dont want kids. These are all women that are pressed in any number of ways that would make the burden of raising a child heavy. If you remove the option to abort, they aren’t all eager to just hand the baby over, they will want the kid, and in plenty of cases, years down the line, those kids end up in foster care because life.
Any cites for those assertions?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:39 pm

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:44 pm

The impact of carrying a baby to term is impossible to quantify. As is the impact of having a baby that is then given up for adoption. Not everything has a stat to go with it.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:48 pm

I was not trying to impute goodness or badness to the options—merely report them. I would note, however, that not wanting to raise a(nother) child is a problem that can be solved by adoption.
Oh can you share some stats on how quickly kids get adopted?
Around 62% of infants put up for adoption are adopted within the first month after birth. Again, there's a big difference between the adoption rates for infants and the adoption rate for older children.

https://adoption-alliance.com/the-proce ... -in-texas/
That’s a very low number… so what’s happening to the 38% that aren’t adopted within a month?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 pm

It’s a hard knock life for them

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 pm

Please Shyster, I want some more.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:04 am

given how obviously terrifying the idea that this brand of fanaticism could very well soon be sitting in the pennsylvania governors chair i plan on casting my vote for :checks notes:
matt ****ing hackenberg

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:15 am

I believe the other 38% are adopted shortly. I have not been able to find any reports indicating that there is a surplus of adoptable infants in the United States. To the contrary, I see many news reports saying there is a shortage of adoptable infants in the US. Would that situation change under the new state of abortion laws? Perhaps. We'll have to see.

There is a surplus of adoptable older children. Parents looking to adopt appear to strongly prefer newborns, and there are tens of thousands of older children in the foster-care system will never be adopted.

And, yes, carrying a pregnancy to term, having the baby, and giving it up for adoption is serious and potentially traumatic event that is difficult to quantify. So is aborting a pregnancy. Who the heck knows which would be worse.

I merely note that according to a pro-abotion organization's own surveys, the leading reason for abortion in this country is "I don't want to parent a(nother) child." But no woman has to parent or otherwise be legally responsible for any child in this country; every state has a safe-haven law that permits mothers to relinquish infants to the state without being liable for child endangerment, abandonment, or neglect (interestingly, the same does not apply for fathers). While abortion fulfills the same objective (i.e., not becoming a parent), it is not the exclusive remedy to that particular problem.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:30 am

We know which is worse, the one where a ten year old would have to give birth.

it’s only a dilemma for people with brain poisoning

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:01 am

None of the statistics really matter at all, of course.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:46 am

Neither does it matter under what circumstances or at what age a woman is forced to have a child.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 am

These last two pages... woof.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:26 am

I say we pass a law that requires someone to adopt a child in order to buy a gun. :slug:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:29 am

Sam over here trying to get the accidental child/gun death count to go up...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:36 am

And, yes, carrying a pregnancy to term, having the baby, and giving it up for adoption is serious and potentially traumatic event that is difficult to quantify. So is aborting a pregnancy. Who the heck knows which would be worse.

I merely note that according to a pro-abotion organization's own surveys, the leading reason for abortion in this country is "I don't want to parent a(nother) child." But no woman has to parent or otherwise be legally responsible for any child in this country; every state has a safe-haven law that permits mothers to relinquish infants to the state without being liable for child endangerment, abandonment, or neglect (interestingly, the same does not apply for fathers). While abortion fulfills the same objective (i.e., not becoming a parent), it is not the exclusive remedy to that particular problem.
How about letting the person who is going to have to carry the child to term for 9 months...decide which is worse for them in their specific situation? That is what it boils down to for me.

You keep seeming to think that carrying a child for 9 months is some walk in the park, let alone if there are extenuating circumstances like health issues, or the real awful stuff like being forced to carry a child to term after being raped or abused.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:39 am

I don't know why this conversation is even happening. We have no right to dictate any of this. None.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:47 am

I think it’s just complete nonsense to pretend this is a complicated issue. Either you think abortion is murder and would criminalize it in all circumstances, or you don’t. There is no equivocating, the pregnant ten year old is not some straw man, it’s what happens when you make abortion a crime. Putting eligibility criteria around elective abortions is just normal ****, and if that is 15 weeks in France or whatever, that’s great, I don’t really have interest in debating that point, health organizations can make that call.

But that’s just a completely different thing than the criminalizing and making exceptions thing. Forcing women to prove they were raped, making miscarriages suspicious, and various other things related to reproduction make this reality gross.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:49 am

This is the kind of **** that gets me furious, knowing that my daughter may have to someday deal with some group of NTP66s trying to tell her what she can and cannot do with her body.