Politics And Current Events

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am

But that's not the court's fault that congress has failed to act. I think that's why I'm OK with this ruling. You don't just get to punt forever, continue to asking for funds for attaining re-election, and then act angry when a third party gets rejected because it highlights your ineffectiveness because you've given power to a third party.

I don't know. It's time to do something in congress, hopefully this is the gear needed to get people to act, or even do something.
People love their congresspersons, though, and while maybe not as much as previously forecast, current state of the economy is only going to make it more red in 6 months. The D's squandered their chance.

I keep my trap shut for the most part as an employee in the industry but- I'll be shocked if any coal generation comes back over this. Worst case closures of plants slows down. Former plant sites I used to work at in PA and Ohio are already being bulldozed or are rotting to the point of not being usable. A few lucky ones got converted to natural gas.

Regardless of the ruling WV still needs to find something else to be good at.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:56 am

Yeah I mean it’s tough because the Court could be making these decisions from a purely legal perspective. Like I remember reading that RvW, while precedent, was flimsy legally. Same thing with the EPA thing; the court may have made the right decision in terms of what the constitution provisions

That said, it’s clear that government is broken in the country. If it takes the power of congress to do a lot of this stuff and congress is famously incompetent at passing new legislation, then things have to change. But things can only change if congress passes new legislation…

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:59 am

But that's not the court's fault that congress has failed to act. I think that's why I'm OK with this ruling. You don't just get to punt forever, continue to asking for funds for attaining re-election, and then act angry when a third party gets rejected because it highlights your ineffectiveness because you've given power to a third party.

I don't know. It's time to do something in congress, hopefully this is the gear needed to get people to act, or even do something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air ... ed_States)

There is a law.
My understanding is that it's the EPA's job to carry out the Clean Air Act. Not make, enforce, and create new laws regulations. They need to be enforcing what already exists today. Biden can't go in there and say "I say x, make it so."

This is just one I feel differently about compared to RvW. The problem is congress.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:01 am

Yeah I mean it’s tough because the Court could be making these decisions from a purely legal perspective. Like I remember reading that RvW, while precedent, was flimsy legally. Same thing with the EPA thing; the court may have made the right decision in terms of what the constitution provisions

That said, it’s clear that government is broken in the country. If it takes the power of congress to do a lot of this stuff and congress is famously incompetent at passing new legislation, then things have to change. But things can only change if congress passes new legislation…
That is their sole job. Not to let feelings get in the way (even though they do).

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air ... ed_States)

There is a law.
My understanding is that it's the EPA's job to carry out the Clean Air Act. Not make, enforce, and create new laws regulations. They need to be enforcing what already exists today. Biden can't go in there and say "I say x, make it so."

This is just one I feel differently about compared to RvW. The problem is congress.
What are the chances you think that this court would find laws it didn't like unconstitutional? I'd say 100%.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 am

SCOTUS can be partisan hacks and the dems in congress can be terrible at their job at the same time. It’s not an either or.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:06 am

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/2 ... t-00042478

See SCOTUS and the voting rights act. This is about priorities, not legality. We've granted authority to individuals assuming they'd behave impartially. This is not the case, the remedies are bad. The conservative movement does not have a problem dismantling our system of government to achieve their ends.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:10 am

SCOTUS can be partisan hacks and the dems in congress can be terrible at their job at the same time. It’s not an either or.
Heyyy.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 am

And here we go. Just burn it down

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am

I case we need to spell that out

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 am

So when do the dems actually do something? We all know Republicans to their credit, are pretty cut-throat. At what point do we start pointing fingers at the people in charge?

I really believe RBG should go down in history as someone who put her EGO first, helping cause this slide now.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am

So then stop talking about it, and do it. Put unreal pressure on your congress folk to get things moving. Figure out a way to get Manchin/Sinema on board - or start burning bridges there, because if they're not going to help, the worst they're going to do is flip R and take control back sooner.

All this talk, all this fundraising. Actually. Do. Something. There are things they could do for their base, to help keep them in control, and they seemingly don't do anything about it because of x, or z, but they never really show any fight.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:34 am

Completely feckless, their only hope was the ditch the filibuster and standardize election laws across the country with that bill they failed on earlier.

One party government by 2024.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am

IMO, it's already a one party government. You just have two "teams" playing sides. As long as people keep getting rich, it don't matter.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:28 pm

Kinda supplements what we've been talking about RE: geriatrics running the country.
This is depressing to see graphically laid out like this on a couple levels. One, my perception has always been that the GOP was the party of stodgy olds, but for pretty much my entire adult life it looks like the opposite has been the case. And two, it brings to bear the notion that the only real tangible skill the olds have is keeping the youngs in check.

In the case of the former, I wonder what has fed that mistaken impression. Just plain ignorance on my part? That the policies favored by the GOP seems more in line with stodgy olds, and vice versa?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 pm

Kinda supplements what we've been talking about RE: geriatrics running the country.
This is depressing to see graphically laid out like this on a couple levels. One, my perception has always been that the GOP was the party of stodgy olds, but for pretty much my entire adult life it looks like the opposite has been the case. And two, it brings to bear the notion that the only real tangible skill the olds have is keeping the youngs in check.

In the case of the former, I wonder what has fed that mistaken impression. Just plain ignorance on my part? That the policies favored by the GOP seems more in line with stodgy olds, and vice versa?
My favorite analogy that I heard is that we are ruled by two unique groups of octogenarians. One that thinks that the sixties were rad, and the other, the opposite.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm

Our country is doing gr8 keep it up

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:19 pm

I don't really understand what that means. What is classroom instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity?

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm

And what would be considered "sexually explicit content"?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:22 pm

And what would be considered "sexually explicit content"?
It is what geniuses like Stephanie Borowicz say it is.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm

Anything that they don't like.

As with "Don't Say Gay" in Florida, the vagueness is the point. They want teachers to be afraid of saying the wrong thing, as opposed to knowing exactly what is and isn't allowed, so that they just avoid talking about it altogether.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:25 pm

This is that push shyster says the gop isn’t making.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:26 pm

It's the "Teachers get back in the closet act"

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm

Does that mean no sex ed classes? lol

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:30 pm

This is that push shyster says the gop isn’t making.
and the one tif says there isn't support for. maybe not in CA