Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 pm

Back from vacation, caught up on the thread. Conclusion?

Let's all huddle and use our collective network to get MiMH a job. He's as politically deranged as my retired boomer parents.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Why would a federal district judge's stance on abortion matter now? The federal judiciary just got out of the abortion-regulating business.

Now, what might matter is what state judges think of abortion, especially state high-court judges. In fact, I would imagine that we just entered an era of voters caring about state judicial candidates at a level never seen in US history.

For example, there are nine judges on the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, which has original jurisdiction over "all civil actions or proceedings ... [a]gainst the Commonwealth government, including any officer thereof, acting in his official capacity...." So if you want to, say, sue the PA attorney general in his/her official capacity to block enforcement of a new abortion law that, for the sake of argument, Governor Mastriano just signed, the Commonwealth Court would sit as a trial court over that case. Can anyone here--without Googling--name me one of the nine Commonwealth Court judges? We elected two new ones just last fall.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:01 pm

Great work from 3YL here

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 pm

Kinda supplements what we've been talking about RE: geriatrics running the country.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 am

Everybody ready for the death of the EPA today?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:26 am

Obviously daily show, but some interesting bits in this. Vascectomies up 15% in Texas already. But mostly the part about how this issue is seen through only the womens right to choose. But this should be more of a universal issue, but lots of men want to enjoy sex and not have babies, and the mechanisms we use (withdrawal, condoms) don’t always work.

Even without getting into issues like rape and ectopic pregnancies, it’s just baffling for republican states to do this. I guess just make sure you vote against mastriano, that is the only thing preventing PA from joining the third world part of America

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:27 am

And basically the ability of all executive agencies to regulate

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:15 am

Trump is 'dangerous,' living in 'cloud cuckoo land' :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/filmmaker-wh ... 50617.html
A British documentary filmmaker who recently testified behind closed doors to the House Jan. 6 select committee said that former President Donald Trump is living in “cloud cuckoo land,” and is incapable of ever acknowledging that his claims about voter fraud are “delusional.”

“Donald Trump is not a rational player. I mean, he just isn’t,” Alex Holder said in an interview with the Yahoo News podcast, “Skullduggery.” “You can't have a conversation with him in the same way that you can have a conversation with most other people. He is somebody that lives in a different reality.”

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 am

I listened to that interview on my dog walk yesterday night.

I don't really understand what the technical legal exposure for Trump is, but hear a lot about intent and whether or not Trump knew his claims of fraud were bullshit. But if this whole debacle about investigating and indicting is predicated on whether or Trump truly believed that the election was stolen....then this whole legal framework we're operating under? Just throw the thing in the trash and start over.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:37 am

I think we're going to be feeling the "throw it in the trash." Is there even a smoking gun yet in this whole committee hearing that the DOJ could use?

This reads like the Russia investigation that Barr has heavily redacted/altered. A lot of hearsay, a lot of mafia speak, but nothing direct.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:42 am

I think we're going to be feeling the "throw it in the trash." Is there even a smoking gun yet in this whole committee hearing that the DOJ could use?

This reads like the Russia investigation that Barr has heavily redacted/altered. A lot of hearsay, a lot of mafia speak, but nothing direct.
I mean, there has to be right?

Between the actual things that he did to attempt to get election results overturned (call to Raffensburger and demand on DOJ to make statements about election fraud) and the recent testimony that sheds a light on inciting and directing the mob.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 am

Trump is delusional? You don't say.....

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:44 am

I would think the only real crime or potential crime is happening in Georgia, but I have no faith that any investigation would be a real investigation.

To me, he proved that a president really is above the law, and having a massive following makes you practically untouchable.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:51 am

I would think the only real crime or potential crime is happening in Georgia, but I have no faith that any investigation would be a real investigation.

To me, he proved that a president really is above the law, and having a massive following makes you practically untouchable.
I believe there are also crimes related to the fake electors scheme and bogus documents that were submitted to the national archive.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/30/-suprem ... lants.html

And there it is.

Obviously the environmental impact will be massive, probably a 2-3 decades left for life as we know it now. But this of course is going to open up the flood gates on the authority of all the executive agencies.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:20 am

Honestly is there even a United States anymore? The SC just essentially thinks that every state is it’s own country.

It’s literally backwards of what thr country should be despite whatever the **** the 250 year old document says

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 am

At this point I'm probably just gonna make a list of better countries and find out how to move to them.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 am

This is what happens when you do f*ck all in the legislative body and allow everything to run through either the executive branch or just do nothing and hope. You want laws surrounding these things at the federal level? Then write some f*cking laws and get them through congress.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 am

At this point I'm probably just gonna make a list of better countries and find out how to move to them.
My good friend packed up and moved to Ecuador because of this **** hole country. Loves it down there.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 am

This is what happens when you do f*ck all in the legislative body and allow everything to run through either the executive branch or just do nothing and hope. You want laws surrounding these things at the federal level? Then write some f*cking laws and get them through congress.
Agreed. This is a massive failure because the chuckle heads kept punting and doing fake shame everywhere.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:38 am

From Justice Roberts:
“But it is not plausible that Congress gave EPA the authority to adopt on its own such a regulatory scheme” under the law in question.

“A decision of such magnitude and consequence rests with Congress itself, or an agency acting pursuant to a clear delegation from that representative body,” he wrote.
I actually agree. I understand these agencies are experts etc. They maybe shouldn't have unilateral control when it comes to the shape of the nation.

Legislature actually needs to do something.

Who has "control" right now? Sure are doing a lot to get their members on board etc.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:40 am

It's a multi-front war being waged by the right-wing movement against all national institutions that they don't believe are sufficiently under heel.

I don't think there's a better way to understand this, especially where the court is clear on the things they say the legislature needs to act, and a legislature that has devolved into absolute comic absurdity. When was the last time congress passed a substantive law?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 am

But that's not the court's fault that congress has failed to act. I think that's why I'm OK with this ruling. You don't just get to punt forever, continue to asking for funds for attaining re-election, and then act angry when a third party gets rejected because it highlights your ineffectiveness because you've given power to a third party.

I don't know. It's time to do something in congress, hopefully this is the gear needed to get people to act, or even do something.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 am

But that's not the court's fault that congress has failed to act. I think that's why I'm OK with this ruling. You don't just get to punt forever, continue to asking for funds for attaining re-election, and then act angry when a third party gets rejected because it highlights your ineffectiveness because you've given power to a third party.

I don't know. It's time to do something in congress, hopefully this is the gear needed to get people to act, or even do something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air ... ed_States)

There is a law.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am

This is the discretion we are living under. Scotus is not acting in an impartial way.