Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:40 am

Ah yes... my good ole hometown of Bedford. :lol:

I've seen some posts about it. And yes... snowflakes is the best way to describe them. I recall in high school a person from one of those psycho independent churches told my gf at the time that she would burn in hell because she was dating me, who at the time was Catholic.

Yup. I was the wrong type of Christian apparently.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am

So you agree it's about power and control.
what? no, it’s about moral outrage and trying to police “sinful” behavior . it always has been

I guess you could argue that that’s a method for control but I don’t think so. They’re trying to pass laws because of what they believe to be immoral behavior, not in an attempt to be puppet masters

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

I rest my case.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:59 am

Seems like mimh worked it out and it only took one post.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:00 am

A drag show scheduled for July 9 in Bedford has sparked heated debate on social media as to the whether or not the entertainment is appropriate for this community. :lol:

The New BROADway Divine Drag Show is hosted by the Bedford Arts Cooperative. The show is only for those ages 21 and older, according to publicity materials. Since announcing the show, some local churches and pastors have decried it as immoral on social media and have urged others to pray and speak out against it.

According to a public post from Breezewood Lighthouse Assembly of God, “The Bedford Arts Cooperative is sponsoring a Drag Show on July 9th to be held in Bedford. Please join in prayer against this event even happening. This is one of the things, as a local church we need to stand against.”

A person posting on the Everett Assembly of God’s Facebook page cited scripture that forbids men from wearing women’s clothing, and vice versa, to specify sin, as well as the church’s moral obligation to fight against it.

Arts Cooperative Program Manager Dawn Ziviello said she has been inundated with messages and colorful voice-mails from self-described Christians speaking out against the drag show. Some of the messages and posts have hinted at protests and violence, she said.

“What I don’t want to do is enflame it. I don’t want to endanger my people. Safety is my absolute number one priority,” Ziviello said of her performers. “I want them to feel like they have a venue where they’ll be appreciated.”

Although the social media posts decry the event, many comments have come out in support of the production, and cite scripture that points to the hypocrisy of judgment. One commenter questioned the mere premise of gendered clothing. “It’s just my clothing. I’m the one who owns it.”

Ziviello, who attends the Bedford Presbyterian Church, said she is challenged by the notion that the hatred directed at her show is rooted in Christian values.

“I would challenge anyone to tell me which population of human beings Jesus didn’t sit with,” Ziviello said, explaining that it was the Pharisees, who were known to be a sanctimonious lot defined by hypocrisy.

The churches are uniting behind a veil of community, Ziviello said, but noted, “I am the community.”

John Wylie, pastor at the Everett Assembly of God, would not say who created the post on the church’s Facebook page, but did not condemn it.

“As Christians, we are commanded in scripture to love our fellow man,” Wylie said, adding, it is “our right to believe the Bible is the word of God and to act on that.”

Clifford Swankler, pastor at the Liberty Independent Baptist Church in Everett, said that as such, “I need to stand where the Bible stands.”

Swankler said the Bible condemns homosexuality and promotes distinct gender differences.

“When God made male and female there is to be a distinction between them and not blur the lines,” Swankler said. “Men pretending to be women, just common sense tells you there’s something wrong there.”

There were no public posts on his church’s Facebook page, but Swankler did speak out against the event on his personal page, and asked others to write to the BAC to withdraw support for their organization.

Ziviello said it was a ridiculous suggestion that Swankler rescind his support for BAC.

“None of these people have ever come to anything,” she said, including her family friendly Christmas shows, children’s shows and other events.

“Just do what you’ve been doing,” Ziviello said. “Nothing.”

As for the show? It will go on, Ziviello said, although she has made authorities aware of the situation.

“I think because of the reach, the backlash, more people want to participate. It’s kind of solidarity,” Ziviello said. “People around here don’t realize how loyal the drag community is. They poked the rainbow hornet’s nest.”

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:02 am

I'd recommend these churchy C(h)ucks try a drag show once before they dismiss it...I get it's not everyone's speed, but man, they throw some ****** parties...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 am

If there was a heaven, I would bet dollars upon dollars that these people would try to convince Jesus himself this is what he wanted for his people.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:08 am

this is a good summation of my political beliefs in a nutshell. I have 0 interest in going to one, but the outrage just rubs me the wrong way. Just ignore it and let them be if it's not your thing. Who cares

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 am

Scotus at it again

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am

I know nothing about this case in the first place, but I must be missing something...

It sounds like this makes it easier to go after someone who is non Indian who committed a crime against Indians. I take it that's not the case.

So what does this ruling actually do?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am

Removes elements of tribal sovereignty that have been in place for centuries

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:41 am

Such as?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am

Such as?
Jurisdiction

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am

I know nothing about this case in the first place, but I must be missing something...

It sounds like this makes it easier to go after someone who is non Indian who committed a crime against Indians. I take it that's not the case.

So what does this ruling actually do?
It looks like in 2020 the SC rules that since reservation land was not state land, crimes committed by American Indians in reservation land was under federal jurisdiction

I think Oklahoma was somewhat upset by this ruling: "The state claimed that tribal and federal law enforcement officials did not have the capacity to handle the number of crimes in considering this authority aspect; while the state authorities may hand over such crimes to federal and tribal ones, many of these remain unprosecuted, according to an FBI agent working in Oklahoma.[1] The state feared an increase in the rate of crime due to the lack of capacity to enforce the law from the tribal and federal site. The state further was concerned that federal courts were more lenient than state courts.[2]"

so they tried to increase their jurisdiction by challenging the idea that a non-American indian committing crimes against American Indians on reservation land was a non-state matter

I'm curious what the argument against this is (ie why a state shouldn't have jurisdiction). Not saying there isn't one but I just don't know enough about everything ti understand it

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:48 am

So before today, I go onto Indian land and do A, B, and C. The only oversight on me being punished for those is by the Tribe? So if I run, how can they get me? I cross back into non Indian land, can I say neener neener and they can't do squat?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:50 am

I'm curious what the argument against this is (ie why a state shouldn't have jurisdiction). Not saying there isn't one but I just don't know enough about everything ti understand it
Same reason TX doesn't have jurisdiction over parts of Mexico, or NY has jurisdiction over part of Canada.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:52 am

Same reason TX doesn't have jurisdiction over parts of Mexico, or NY has jurisdiction over part of Canada.
this comparison breaks down so quickly as the federal government DOES have jurisdiction on reservations (but obviously doesn't have jurisdiction in Mexico)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:54 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal_so ... ted_States

Yes, rulings like today continue to reduce what sovereignty they have.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am

I do think the sovereignty of reservations is important. But it’s all complicated by the legal status of the reservations as semi sovereign nations

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 pm

I am calling the "I like guns argument" to not be a valid argument for not imposing gun regulations. In the same way that "I like booze' is not a valid argument to limit restrictions on the product. It could be an honest argument, but that's different. Mostly just that folks with direct incentives in this argument are framing this debate in a way that deliberately ignores the negative exernality.
LOL at Troy Loney arguing like Bruen wasn't decided last week. The SCOTUS just confirmed—for the third time—that owning guns is a constitutional right. Don't like that? Too bad. Your view of guns and gun rights lost in Heller, lost in McDonald, and lost in Bruen.

It doesn't matter whether someone owns guns for hunting, or self-defense, or for whatever reason. They have a right to do so. They don't need to explain themselves to you or to anyone else. In fact, the SCOTUS just ruled that you cannot condition public carry on someone having a special need or justification over and above "I want to." The same is certainly going to apply for ownership, so long as someone has no disqualifying conditions, such as a felony conviction.

Neither do "negative externalities" matter. "The Second Amendment is the very product of an interest balancing by the people and it surely elevates above all other interests the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms” for self-defense. Bruen, slip. op. at 17. The people who enacted the Second Amendment already considered the negative externalities of permitting the public to own arms. They concluded it was worth it. If you disagree, I direct your attention to Article V of the Constitution, which explains the process for amendment.
This has been my point through the last 10+ years. Like it or not, you're talking about an enumerated constitutional right.

I disagree with the SCOTUS presentation of the history of the debate regarding the 2A (they affirmatively made the decision to leave concepts like self-defense to state criminal codes), but the conclusion they arrived at puts 2A on a very high plateau. And before you consider any actions restricting the free exercise of that right, you would be wise to translate that action (be it the specific restriction or the method that restriction is enacted) to some other enumerated constitutional right and ask yourself if you'd be okay with that other right being limited in that fashion.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:50 pm

this is a good summation of my political beliefs in a nutshell. I have 0 interest in going to one, but the outrage just rubs me the wrong way. Just ignore it and let them be if it's not your thing. Who cares

"Because they are here to convert your children and grand children into trans people."

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:56 pm

I love these people who are so worried about things other people are doing that don't affect them. You're more than free to think something is weird, if it's not victimizing someone else wtf do you care? If your religion says they're going to hell, well I guess if your religion is right that's on them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:03 pm

I'd recommend these churchy C(h)ucks try a drag show once before they dismiss it...I get it's not everyone's speed, but man, they throw some ****** parties...
Drag shows are the f**king best. :thumb:

Early job in the record business, we put out a Shirley Bassey tribute album, all like remixes and club versions of her songs. Came out at around the same time as her official Greatest Hits record. The release party was at a drag club in West Hollywood, and the only requirement of the show was that the runway part be to Bassey's music. Bassey herself was a judge iirc.

Jesus f**king s**tballs, tell me that wasn't a great time.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:04 pm

I love these people who are so worried about things other people are doing that don't affect them. You're more than free to think something is weird, if it's not victimizing someone else wtf do you care? If your religion says they're going to hell, well I guess if your religion is right that's on them.
But what if their religion also tells them they have an affirmative obligation to preach the word of Big G and to gain converts?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Leave me out of it.