Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 pm

I am calling the "I like guns argument" to not be a valid argument for not imposing gun regulations. In the same way that "I like booze' is not a valid argument to limit restrictions on the product. It could be an honest argument, but that's different. Mostly just that folks with direct incentives in this argument are framing this debate in a way that deliberately ignores the negative exernality.
LOL at Troy Loney arguing like Bruen wasn't decided last week. The SCOTUS just confirmed—for the third time—that owning guns is a constitutional right. Don't like that? Too bad. Your view of guns and gun rights lost in Heller, lost in McDonald, and lost in Bruen.

It doesn't matter whether someone owns guns for hunting, or self-defense, or for whatever reason. They have a right to do so. They don't need to explain themselves to you or to anyone else. In fact, the SCOTUS just ruled that you cannot condition public carry on someone having a special need or justification over and above "I want to." The same is certainly going to apply for ownership, so long as someone has no disqualifying conditions, such as a felony conviction.

Neither do "negative externalities" matter. "The Second Amendment is the very product of an interest balancing by the people and it surely elevates above all other interests the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms” for self-defense. Bruen, slip. op. at 17. The people who enacted the Second Amendment already considered the negative externalities of permitting the public to own arms. They concluded it was worth it. If you disagree, I direct your attention to Article V of the Constitution, which explains the process for amendment.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 pm

I am calling the "I like guns argument" to not be a valid argument for not imposing gun regulations. In the same way that "I like booze' is not a valid argument to limit restrictions on the product. It could be an honest argument, but that's different. Mostly just that folks with direct incentives in this argument are framing this debate in a way that deliberately ignores the negative exernality.
LOL at Troy Loney arguing like Bruen wasn't decided last week. The SCOTUS just confirmed—for the third time—that owning guns is a constitutional right. Don't like that? Too bad. Your view of guns and gun rights lost in Heller, lost in McDonald, and lost in Bruen.

It doesn't matter whether someone owns guns for hunting, or self-defense, or for whatever reason. They have a right to do so. They don't need to explain themselves to you or to anyone else. In fact, the SCOTUS just ruled that you cannot condition public carry on someone having a special need or justification over and above "I want to." The same is certainly going to apply for ownership, so long as someone has no disqualifying conditions, such as a felony conviction.

Neither do "negative externalities" matter. "The Second Amendment is the very product of an interest balancing by the people and it surely elevates above all other interests the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms” for self-defense. Bruen, slip. op. at 17. The people who enacted the Second Amendment already considered the negative externalities of permitting the public to own arms. They concluded it was worth it. If you disagree, I direct your attention to Article V of the Constitution, which explains the process for amendment.
Yeah, we get it, you won. Absent some unforeseeable corrective action, we are beholden to this idiotic amendment and the gun industry.

If I were a parent I would actually care more, but for now, I am just rooting for some significant climate displacement in the next ~25 to be the impact event that dissolves the current federal government structure. Honestly hoping it is that rather than the simple right-wing takeover that is the more likely event.

I am fully aware that the argument for comprehensive gun control laws that would actually do something to reduce the volume of guns owned by dumb Americans is absolutely impossible.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 pm

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/polit ... 2206270082

Political terrorism by the state GOP, withholding funds unless Pitt and all other partially state-funded schools (the "semi-private" schools) stop stem cell research from fetal tissue.

Pitt's considering going private due to this. The GOP is too **** stupid to realize how much that is going to affect cost to students.
The dems will just forgive the debt though, so I've heard

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:50 pm

The takeover of the religious right in the last few months makes me think it’s 2002 again

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 pm

"I didn't even know this Cassidy Hutchinson."

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:24 am

Just some random 25 year old person who worked for someone else I didn't know, Mark Meadows.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:28 am

And whose office was next to mine.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 am

Repealing Roe has been a part of the political DNA of the Republican Party for my entire lifetime, because the most motivated voters (and donors) have fixated on this goal. Now that they've got it...... what comes next? They're very much into the 'awesome, wow' phase of this, and could find themselves like the proverbial dog chasing the car that wouldn't know what to do if it ever actually caught it. There seems to be a bit of a concerted effort to now pitch efforts at homosexuals and the whole LGBTQ+ populace, and 'wokeism' in general, but I'm not sure that has quite the emotional pull, despite being cut from the same sinner's cloth.
This is why when supposed libertarians or moderate Republicans say, oh they won’t come for LGBTQ rights or gay marriage, or contraception I roll my eyes. They’re going to need a new rallying cry and they’ve already attacked homosexuality in places like Florida.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 am

I don't see how they'll get the fundraising support for going after LGBQT folks. I find that's one that probably goes across the line outside of the true religious nuts.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:47 am

Repealing Roe has been a part of the political DNA of the Republican Party for my entire lifetime, because the most motivated voters (and donors) have fixated on this goal. Now that they've got it...... what comes next? They're very much into the 'awesome, wow' phase of this, and could find themselves like the proverbial dog chasing the car that wouldn't know what to do if it ever actually caught it. There seems to be a bit of a concerted effort to now pitch efforts at homosexuals and the whole LGBTQ+ populace, and 'wokeism' in general, but I'm not sure that has quite the emotional pull, despite being cut from the same sinner's cloth.
This is why when supposed libertarians or moderate Republicans say, oh they won’t come for LGBTQ rights or gay marriage, or contraception I roll my eyes. They’re going to need a new rallying cry and they’ve already attacked homosexuality in places like Florida.
It’s completely disingenuous to say otherwise. I guess it’s on brand for those to expresss shock when it happens. This is who you voted for :shrug:
Last edited by Viva la Ben on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:47 am

I don't see how they'll get the fundraising support for going after LGBQT folks. I find that's one that probably goes across the line outside of the true religious nuts.
Guess it doesn't matter and I was wrong lol.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/28/alabam ... ealth-care
Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall (R) on Tuesday urged a federal court to drop its block on the state's ban on gender-affirming care for trans youth arguing such care is not protected by the Constitution.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am

Grooming in schools could replace abortion as their #1.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:00 am

Seems like conservative twitter is obsessed with the "trump didn't attack the secret service agent in the limo" thing.

Considering the "hearsay" argument that came up during her testimony, this was I believe an actual hearsay testimony, in that she was testifying to what that Ornato guy told her happened. She isn't saying she witnessed it, so I assume a better attack on her credibility would be from that Ornato guy coming forward and saying she lied.

But, I mean, probably pretty telling that they are only focused on this tantrum when the really damning testimony was her relaying all the bits about Trump being aware that the crowd was armed, and Trump's response basically being, "good, we know who they are going after".

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:07 am

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am

Guess it doesn't matter and I was wrong lol.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/28/alabam ... ealth-care
Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall (R) on Tuesday urged a federal court to drop its block on the state's ban on gender-affirming care for trans youth arguing such care is not protected by the Constitution.
The focus has been and will continue to be on trans people. A group already at risk for their safety.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am

1 in 6 women are victims of sexual assault.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 am

Seems like conservative twitter is obsessed with the "trump didn't attack the secret service agent in the limo" thing.

Considering the "hearsay" argument that came up during her testimony, this was I believe an actual hearsay testimony, in that she was testifying to what that Ornato guy told her happened. She isn't saying she witnessed it, so I assume a better attack on her credibility would be from that Ornato guy coming forward and saying she lied.

But, I mean, probably pretty telling that they are only focused on this tantrum when the really damning testimony was her relaying all the bits about Trump being aware that the crowd was armed, and Trump's response basically being, "good, we know who they are going after".
It's like when Shyster focused on your "hack" term instead of everything you posted. Semantics are a good way to change the convo

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:40 am

It's like when Shyster focused on your "hack" term instead of everything you posted. Semantics are a good way to change the convo
We need a judge here to keep him in check. Where's dodint?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:19 am

Well, they arent “hacks” to him because he just thinks their right. And in some semblance of the word, they are “right”.

We just fundamentally disagree about how the law should work, he is obviously significantly beyond my comprehension on the why it works this way. I just don’t care about the why, I think it’s broken and needs to be rebuilt to deliver better decisions / outcomes

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am

A drag show scheduled for July 9 in Bedford has sparked heated debate on social media as to the whether or not the entertainment is appropriate for this community. :lol:

The New BROADway Divine Drag Show is hosted by the Bedford Arts Cooperative. The show is only for those ages 21 and older, according to publicity materials. Since announcing the show, some local churches and pastors have decried it as immoral on social media and have urged others to pray and speak out against it.

According to a public post from Breezewood Lighthouse Assembly of God, “The Bedford Arts Cooperative is sponsoring a Drag Show on July 9th to be held in Bedford. Please join in prayer against this event even happening. This is one of the things, as a local church we need to stand against.”

A person posting on the Everett Assembly of God’s Facebook page cited scripture that forbids men from wearing women’s clothing, and vice versa, to specify sin, as well as the church’s moral obligation to fight against it.

Arts Cooperative Program Manager Dawn Ziviello said she has been inundated with messages and colorful voice-mails from self-described Christians speaking out against the drag show. Some of the messages and posts have hinted at protests and violence, she said.

“What I don’t want to do is enflame it. I don’t want to endanger my people. Safety is my absolute number one priority,” Ziviello said of her performers. “I want them to feel like they have a venue where they’ll be appreciated.”

Although the social media posts decry the event, many comments have come out in support of the production, and cite scripture that points to the hypocrisy of judgment. One commenter questioned the mere premise of gendered clothing. “It’s just my clothing. I’m the one who owns it.”

Ziviello, who attends the Bedford Presbyterian Church, said she is challenged by the notion that the hatred directed at her show is rooted in Christian values.

“I would challenge anyone to tell me which population of human beings Jesus didn’t sit with,” Ziviello said, explaining that it was the Pharisees, who were known to be a sanctimonious lot defined by hypocrisy.

The churches are uniting behind a veil of community, Ziviello said, but noted, “I am the community.”

John Wylie, pastor at the Everett Assembly of God, would not say who created the post on the church’s Facebook page, but did not condemn it.

“As Christians, we are commanded in scripture to love our fellow man,” Wylie said, adding, it is “our right to believe the Bible is the word of God and to act on that.”

Clifford Swankler, pastor at the Liberty Independent Baptist Church in Everett, said that as such, “I need to stand where the Bible stands.”

Swankler said the Bible condemns homosexuality and promotes distinct gender differences.

“When God made male and female there is to be a distinction between them and not blur the lines,” Swankler said. “Men pretending to be women, just common sense tells you there’s something wrong there.”

There were no public posts on his church’s Facebook page, but Swankler did speak out against the event on his personal page, and asked others to write to the BAC to withdraw support for their organization.

Ziviello said it was a ridiculous suggestion that Swankler rescind his support for BAC.

“None of these people have ever come to anything,” she said, including her family friendly Christmas shows, children’s shows and other events.

“Just do what you’ve been doing,” Ziviello said. “Nothing.”

As for the show? It will go on, Ziviello said, although she has made authorities aware of the situation.

“I think because of the reach, the backlash, more people want to participate. It’s kind of solidarity,” Ziviello said. “People around here don’t realize how loyal the drag community is. They poked the rainbow hornet’s nest.”

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:34 am

trans folk are an easy target of mobilization for republicans. They had a field day with the What is a Woman? documentary

it’s amazing how much people who want the government off their back want to dictate other peoples lives

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am

**** snowflakes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:36 am

So you agree it's about power and control.