Politics And Current Events

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Starting to really believe he is toast as a political candidate. There are enough GOP folks coming out to these hearings to really make Trump look like a derange psycho.
I'm less certain. No Trumpers are watching the hearings, and whatever snippets they hear via social media, the news, etc. they write off as a witch hunt.
:thumb:

I'm not seeing DeSantis going after Trump specifically on this issue. Maybe Chris Christie or Larry Hogan.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:05 pm

Starting to really believe he is toast as a political candidate. There are enough GOP folks coming out to these hearings to really make Trump look like a derange psycho.
I'm less certain. No Trumpers are watching the hearings, and whatever snippets they hear via social media, the news, etc. they write off as a witch hunt.
It's a potential interparty fight between "serious" conservatives and trump idiots.

The problem for the Republicans is that Trump still wants all that money, so if he's not the presidential candidate, he might cause lots of trouble to fight for that.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm

has anything with the hearings come out that has been revelatory in terms of Trump’s character? I haven’t been paying attention to them but I feel like if you’re surprised by any of this then you haven’t been alive for the last 6 years. We knew he was unhinged in 2016

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:19 pm

Prior to some of this, I was still convinced it was all just a sham. I was convinced that Trump & Co. didn't actually think he was going to still be president, but were just putting on a show. That's no longer the case. He and his group actually thought it would work and he was pissed that people stopped him from doing anything further. It's insane.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:26 pm

has anything with the hearings come out that has been revelatory in terms of Trump’s character? I haven’t been paying attention to them but I feel like if you’re surprised by any of this then you haven’t been alive for the last 6 years. We knew he was unhinged in 2016
Who gives a ****? We all knew his character was trash. This is about the actions he took to instigate and direct a mob of armed supporters to storm congress.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm

In the car after the speech: The president was under the impression that he would be taken to the Capitol following his rally speech, Hutchinson said.

When he learned there were no security assets and Trump would have to return to the White House, Trump grew "irate" and attempted to grab the steering wheel of the car, she testified. Hutchinson was not in the car, but heard it from others with no one correcting the record, she said.

" 'I am the effing president, take me up to the Capitol now,' " Hutchinson testified that the president said.

Trump talked about walking to the Capitol, where he might give a speech or enter the House chamber. And when staff stopped those plans, Trump attempted to grab the steering wheel of the presidential limousine to drive there, she said.
lol respect muh authority
I mean, I know there's a lot of smoke here, and I'm interested in learning what happened leading up to the riot, but honestly just about every account of testimony I've read or heard is...

Objection, Hearsay. Foundation? Speculation?

I'm aware that this isn't a court of law, but testimony like that isn't really.....valid? I dunno. I know I'll be accused of pooh-poohing the whole thing, but it comes off a bit like Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm

The extent to which he actually thought he could thwart the electoral process is both new information and still somewhat old hat.

This is the guy. He is, to put it mildly, just about the absolute worst of us.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:32 pm

Let's give that guy another shot, I think he will learn from any mistakes he made. Should be real good for the country.
It was good for my 401k…
Dad, is that you?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 pm

Let's give that guy another shot, I think he will learn from any mistakes he made. Should be real good for the country.
It was good for my 401k…
Dad, is that you?
I can’t be your father and son at the same time I don’t think

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Ignoring the LP moniker. IIRC this was exactly how he talked and manipulated people during the Russian investigation. He wouldn't say anything directly, but he'd use others to say he knew they were loyal etc.

What scum.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:58 pm

Who gives a ****? We all knew his character was trash. This is about the actions he took to instigate and direct a mob of armed supporters to storm congress.
But is any of it outside of our imagination of what we thought he was capable of? Like we all agreed back in January 2021 that he was responsible for what happened. It’s like if more news about Charles Manson comes out; “yeah, we already knew he was a sociopathic criminal”

Again, unless actual charges are filed, the hearings feel like point-in-time MPG measurements in a car: purposeless and masturbatory

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:01 pm

But is any of it outside of our imagination of what we thought he was capable of? Like we all agreed back in January 2021 that he was responsible for what happened. It’s like if more news about Charles Manson comes out; “yeah, we already knew he was a sociopathic criminal”

Again, unless actual charges are filed, the hearings feel like point-in-time MPG measurements in a car: purposeless and masturbatory

You're not paying attention to it so keep it up.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:02 pm

It was good for my 401k…
Dad, is that you?
I can’t be your father and son at the same time I don’t think
You can, but future you hasn't come back and explained things to you yet. Soon enough my son/father.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:05 pm

Actually agree. If nothing comes from this - it's nothing what people already knew and the people that believe it already do. MAGA faithful don't care, and actually support it.

The damage seems to be who in the middle can they sway to avoid Trump - and general polling shows it's not good for him, so far.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Hack Supreme Court making it known what they think of the voting rights act and lower court judges actions to try and make states abide by it

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:19 pm

Conservatives just can't stop winning.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:07 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:13 pm

I wonder if he failure to codify RVW as well as the impending recession will be Biden’s legacy. I don’t know if there has been any other defining moments

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:18 pm

Abandoning Afghanistan. Failure to codify RVW is more on Obama, isn't it?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:42 pm

History will say Afghanistan. It's the one thing he did on his own that he was responsible for. Infrastructure locally may be remembered, but he's failed on BBB, loan forgiveness, etc that were campaign promises.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:48 pm

I think Biden is gonna get hit with the RVW thing - unrightfully so. They had 60 years to do something. But it doesn't matter who gets the blame for that.

He should be tied to what CBear3 said.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 pm

Uh oh, there's going to be some very sour howards here about that...then again, it probably all depends on the messenger when someone delivers a message you don't like in this arena...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:59 pm

I don’t think anyone here but maybe vlb that will defend the democrats

I don’t like when people conflate political party with political ideology