Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 pm

These hacks were elevated to deliver this specific outcome.

If you have a different definition of hack, great, don't care. But to pretend this is some deliberative process? Then you're probably just a hack too.

It's fine to be biased, we're all biased. But we are not parading around in robes pretending to be the most authoritative body in the country.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 pm

If a judge presented one line of thinking in order to get confirmed and then decided cases differently from that stated line of thinking when it was time to decide cases, is that how a judge should act?

They were very careful in their words.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 pm

If a judge presented one line of thinking in order to get confirmed and then decided cases differently from that stated line of thinking when it was time to decide cases, is that how a judge should act?

They were very careful in their words.
Yeah, Thomas especially. Coming for marriage equality and contraception next.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:44 pm

Yeah, Thomas especially. Coming for marriage equality and contraception next.
I'm referring to their hearings where they were well trained on how to answer questions about roe vs wade.

Thomas is a shithead. His confirmations hearings were the first big political event that I followed.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 pm

Muh freedom and self defense!

https://apnews.com/article/florida-acci ... 4fe568e507
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed a 1-year-old girl and injured a 2-year-old girl at a Florida motel on Sunday, authorities said.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 pm

Justice Thomas disagrees with the notion of substantive due process, and his references to cases such as Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell is because those cases are based on substantive due process, which, again, Justice Thomas disagrees with. No other justice holds that view of the Court's substantive-due-process jurisprudence.

That Thomas disagrees with substantive due process does not necessarily mean that he would reject same-sex marriage, or contraception, or the other rights announced in those cases. Rather, Thomas believes that if those rights exist, they should be grounded in the Privileges or Immunities Clauseof the 14th Amendment, which of course all of you know was basically turned into a dead letter in the Slaughter-House Cases in 1873. Thomas pretty clearly believes Slaughter-House was wrongly decided, as evidenced from his concurrence in McDonald. That doesn't mean that the Court is "coming" for any of those precedents.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Right, they just tee it up for some group to make the case

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 pm

Muh freedom and self defense!

https://apnews.com/article/florida-acci ... 4fe568e507
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed a 1-year-old girl and injured a 2-year-old girl at a Florida motel on Sunday, authorities said.
The boy’s father returned to the room, took the gun and what investigators believe were drugs and left the room again, Simmons said. He is charged with being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, two counts of culpable negligence by storing a firearm within easy of a minor resulting in injuries, tampering with evidence and failure to store a firearm in a required manner.
I notice you didn't quote the part that explained why it was already illegal for that gun to be in that room.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 pm

All these illegal guns spread across the country is definitely a strong argument against gun control laws.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 pm

Right, they just tee it up for some group to make the case

Groups did make the case. In McDonald. And no justice other than Thomas agreed. No one else has any interest in reviving the Privileges or Immunities Clause.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 pm

All these illegal guns spread across the country is definitely a strong argument against gun control laws.

Yes, they are. Because they demonstrate that the hundreds of laws already on the books didn't do jack squat to prevent that convicted felon from still having a gun in that motel room.

This argument is ironic given the numerous tweets I've seen over the weekend where people angry at the Dobbs decision are saying that back-alley abortions will still take place. Huh, yeah, passing a law against something doesn't stop that thing from happening... I have a feeling that I've heard that before.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:18 pm

Yes, they are. Because they demonstrate that the hundreds of laws already on the books didn't do jack squat to prevent that convicted felon from still having a gun in that motel room.

This argument is ironic given the numerous tweets I've seen over the weekend where people angry at the Dobbs decision are saying that back-alley abortions will still take place. Huh, yeah, passing a law against something doesn't stop that thing from happening... I have a feeling that I've heard that before.
It’s odd that New Zealand passed a sweeping law after one incident and it hasn’t occurred again. Australia reduced any occurrences to single digits since they took the guns away.

Bury your head in the sand if you want but mass banning has been proven to work.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 pm

Justice Thomas disagrees with the notion of substantive due process, and his references to cases such as Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell is because those cases are based on substantive due process, which, again, Justice Thomas disagrees with. No other justice holds that view of the Court's substantive-due-process jurisprudence.

That Thomas disagrees with substantive due process does not necessarily mean that he would reject same-sex marriage, or contraception, or the other rights announced in those cases. Rather, Thomas believes that if those rights exist, they should be grounded in the Privileges or Immunities Clauseof the 14th Amendment, which of course all of you know was basically turned into a dead letter in the Slaughter-House Cases in 1873. Thomas pretty clearly believes Slaughter-House was wrongly decided, as evidenced from his concurrence in McDonald. That doesn't mean that the Court is "coming" for any of those precedents.
You'll have to excuse some of us for still having those concerns, as it was repeatedly said by people like yourself (below) that the right had already lost these battles of abortion and gay rights. These "loses" have proven to not be set in stone by any measure.
On the other hand, I view the right as less of a threat because, for the most part, they've already lost all of their big battles. Abortion? It's been legal for 50 years. Same-sex marriage? Law of the land, and not changing. Drug legalization? There are only six states left where marijuana is not legal in some form or another, and a few days ago the House voted to legalize marijuana for the first time ever. Protections for LGBT folks? Just affirmed by SCOTUS, with Trump appointee Gorsuch writing the opinion. For the most part, the religious right has lost every battle they've picked. And the few they have won, such as religious exemptions for business practices, are areas where I as a libertarian think the government shouldn't have any say anyway.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:10 am

Concerns are perfectly legitimate, and I was in fact wrong about Roe. But I think Roe differs from the other topics. The case not only was immediately opposed as soon as it was announced, but that opposition did not diminish over the years. There's been a March for Life every year in Washington DC since 1974. There are no similar annual mass movements or demonstrations to reverse gay marriage, for example.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:34 am

Concerns are perfectly legitimate, and I was in fact wrong about Roe. But I think Roe differs from the other topics. The case not only was immediately opposed as soon as it was announced, but that opposition did not diminish over the years. There's been a March for Life every year in Washington DC since 1974. There are no similar annual mass movements or demonstrations to reverse gay marriage, for example.
So public sentiment does matter

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:50 am

I should ban you for this. I have a very sensitive stomach.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 am

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:27 am

Oh, wait, no it doesn't matter.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 am

On the 1/6 hearing today:
Cassidy Hutchinson, a top aide to Mark Meadows when he was White House chief of staff in the Trump administration, is expected to testify Tuesday at the latest hearing by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.
She's the one who was listing the reps who asked for pardons.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:56 am

I recall prayer being a regular part of school. Teachers, classmates, coaches, they all lead prayers from time to time in some form or another. Most of the time I'd just stand there in silence. I don't think I ever felt that I was forced into the prayer, but perhaps if the person asked us all to say a prayer like the our father or something, then it'd be a little different.

Now just because I was (seemingly) not impacted by this doesn't mean that no one is ever troubled by this situation. I agree with what most have said already. The moment you step into that kind of role, your belief in some boogey man should be checked at the door. Heck, in Florida, you can't talk about some kid having two dads because it might cause them to become gay. But talking about a dude impregnating a teenager and then killing the kid later in life is a-okay for some reason.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am

Turns out the actual story to that coach prayer thing was that players were punished for not participating. So not surprising that the court chose to ignore reality to arrive at their preferred outcome.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:07 am

Yes, because the answer when the laws are ineffective in stopping the undesired outcomes, is to eliminate all the laws. Actually, we should fix the laws because they are feckless and there are too many guns.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 am

Turns out the actual story to that coach prayer thing was that players were punished for not participating. So not surprising that the court chose to ignore reality to arrive at their preferred outcome.
There is a photo on the dissent showing players huddled around him. There have been many other photos of him including one where he is holding one helmet from each team while he preaches.
he offered his prayers quietly while his students were otherwise preoccupied

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:32 am

On the 1/6 hearing today:
Cassidy Hutchinson, a top aide to Mark Meadows when he was White House chief of staff in the Trump administration, is expected to testify Tuesday at the latest hearing by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.
She's the one who was listing the reps who asked for pardons.
So is the Sergeant of Arms dead, or no? He was somehow magically shot and killed last night, if he's really dead.