Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:54 am

Electric cars aren't the only advancement towards less oil usage. Our company is working on a fully electric locomotive. Semis are on their way as well.

Thing is, we still need to do better than electric. In 50 years we are going to have to send shuttles into space with payloads of dead batteries. The electricity needed to charge the batteries needs to get cleaner, etc.

We're moving in the right direction, at least.
Agree with all of this. :thumb:

Fire trash directly into the sun! :lol:

Totally nerdy space trivia that no one asked for: Unless one is willing to wait for many, many years*, it is actually staggeringly difficult to fire anything into the Sun, or to even get anything all that close to the Sun. It would actually take less energy to send something on an escape velocity out of the Solar System entirely than to send something into the Sun. it takes roughly 29 km/s of deceleration to hit the Sun. While it takes 42 km/s of acceleration to hit solar escape velocity, the Earth is already traveling 30 km/s, so for something launched from Earth, you only need to add 12 km/s of acceleration to leave the Solar System.

* In the tiny chance that anyone cares, the "many years" option is a bi-elliptic transfer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-elliptic_transfer).
I'm an idea guy, here, not so much an execution guy. So the best we can hope for is to create a number of small trash satellites that will orbit in extremely close proximity to the sun? These satellites, can we make them out of some material that will burn up and destroy the trash in the ensuing conflagration?

I must confess, I've been sort of taken with the idea of space trash since I first learned about the accumulating manmade junk in low orbit when I was a kid. Package all that s**t up and get it out of our neighborhood. Send it to Space New Jersey.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:04 am

Why not put it on Mars if it isn't habitable? We can get there.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:38 am

“Loudermilk” is one of those last names that make you wonder how it originated

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:41 am

“Loudermilk” is one of those last names that make you wonder how it originated
https://www.houseofnames.com/loudermilk-family-crest

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 am

Sir Francis Younghusband...?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:12 pm

Fetterman vs Oz is going to be an interesting midterm election for sure, but I think an even more interesting one is going to be Warnock vs Walker in Georgia.

You've got Warnock who seems (and I want to emphasize... SEEMS) like a pretty standard dude. Wife reported him for running over her foot while he was trying to leave the house from an argument, but beyond that I'm not sure there's much on him.

And then there's Herschel Walker. Evolution isn't real, MAGA all the way, history of abusive nature toward loved ones, has a TikToker son who is gay but not gay (he said he's attracted to men but will not accept being called gay), blatant lies about his businesses and it's success, and of course the hypocrisy...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/herschel- ... secret-son
For years, former football star turned Republican senatorial candidate Herschel Walker has expressed an enormous pride and love for his adult son, while taking a principled stand against fatherless households and deadbeat dads—specifically in the Black community.

“And I want to apologize to the African-American community, because the fatherless home is a major, major problem,” Walker said in a September 2020 interview, adding that he had been “like a father to some of those kids that had never had fathers.”
Turns out he has a son that he's estranged from. Go figure.

But at the same time he's a former football star, so it's gonna be close.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Don't forget about him lying about working with the local police and FBI.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:15 pm

Evolution isn't real, MAGA all the way, history of abusive nature toward loved ones, has a TikToker son who is gay but not gay (he said he's attracted to men but will not accept being called gay), blatant lies about his businesses and it's success, and of course the hypocrisy...
It’s sad that if you remove the name it becomes indistinguishable from both Trump and everyone else towing the MAGA line

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:22 pm

Fetterman vs Oz is going to be an interesting midterm election for sure, but I think an even more interesting one is going to be Warnock vs Walker in Georgia.

You've got Warnock who seems (and I want to emphasize... SEEMS) like a pretty standard dude. Wife reported him for running over her foot while he was trying to leave the house from an argument, but beyond that I'm not sure there's much on him.

And then there's Herschel Walker. Evolution isn't real, MAGA all the way, history of abusive nature toward loved ones, has a TikToker son who is gay but not gay (he said he's attracted to men but will not accept being called gay), blatant lies about his businesses and it's success, and of course the hypocrisy...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/herschel- ... secret-son
For years, former football star turned Republican senatorial candidate Herschel Walker has expressed an enormous pride and love for his adult son, while taking a principled stand against fatherless households and deadbeat dads—specifically in the Black community.

“And I want to apologize to the African-American community, because the fatherless home is a major, major problem,” Walker said in a September 2020 interview, adding that he had been “like a father to some of those kids that had never had fathers.”
Turns out he has a son that he's estranged from. Go figure.

But at the same time he's a former football star, so it's gonna be close.
local Warnock ads are now using Herschel's pitching the anti-COVID "mist" machine, you walk through the machine and it coats you with something that kills the COVID on your body. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Bleach?

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:38 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Or about graduating from UGA (as easy as that probably is) in the top 1% (he didn't even graduate) and being valedictorian of his high school.

Sorry if you're a UGA fan @shoeshine boy. I couldn't resist taking a shot at them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Pretty much.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:11 pm

I think Elon saw how easily Trump was able to take control of the republicans party and thought to himself “I could do better”

how long until he proposes an amendment to allow non-US born citizens to run for President?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 pm

He'd probably first try and allow people whose names are Pissbaby to serve more than two terms.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:29 pm

Or about graduating from UGA (as easy as that probably is) in the top 1% (he didn't even graduate) and being valedictorian of his high school.

Sorry if you're a UGA fan @shoeshine boy. I couldn't resist taking a shot at them.
indeed I am. my father and sister were/are alums. back in 1980, UGA was the "easy school" in the state. not so much these days. the lottery funder scholarship program changed all that in the 90s. it's now pretty hard to get in. well, unless you can throw or hit some kind of ball or run or swim very fast. :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:48 pm

The natural-born requirement for POTUS is one of several things that made sense to the Framers in the context of 1790 and the struggles they had endured for the preceding decades and foresaw for the nation's immediate future. But I doubt it would really float their boat so much if you dropped them into 21st century America and gave them a do-over.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:58 pm

I want my presidents native born.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:15 pm

The Fed has really screwed the pooch on this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... uxbndlbing

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:25 pm

I agree the Fed had done a poor job, but was this problem really fixable? Inflation is up around the world.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... ng-higher/

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:28 pm

I honestly don’t mind the idea of a foreign born president (its not like natural born citizens have an innate loyalty to the country. Hell, *I* don’t have any loyalty to the country)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:34 pm

I agree the Fed had done a poor job, but was this problem really fixable? Inflation is up around the world.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... ng-higher/
No doubt, but I think the brakes could have been pumped months ago.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:34 pm

The Fed can be blamed for being slow, but this isn’t entirely on them. And it’d have been worse had they not raised the rates as high as they did. The market would have reacted very poorly, very quickly.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 pm

Early polling, Fetterman up 8.6% on Oz, Shapiro up 3.8 on Jesus Mastrumpano.

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/ ... al-battle/

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:41 pm

I do not trust polls. Never will again.