Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 am

What does Cruz want? Harris as POTUS? On account of her being even more un-re-electable than Biden?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:46 am

what does Cruz allege that Biden has done to deserve impeachment?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:51 am

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 am

So Brave

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am

what does Cruz allege that Biden has done to deserve impeachment?
Cruz alleged that it could be anything. They're just going to even the score because they felt Trump was impeached for things that didn't matter.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:37 am

What does Cruz want? Harris as POTUS? On account of her being even more un-re-electable than Biden?
I suspect if GOP takes house and Senate. They'd impeach him and then not convict him, only to tarnish his record. Because the Harris as prez thing would be them accepting their own fears.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 am

even Ohio. Jordan's gerrymandered control is nonsense.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm

I know the hope is that Omicron steamrolls through, doesn't kill a ton of people, and gives us all immunity from COVID while drowning out all other variants, but it's a little too soon to say that's guaranteed, isn't it? I feel like it's early to adopt a, "Man, **** the vaccine" attitude.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Someone I know got into a car crash and died. wtf is the point of a seatbelt?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm

It means Democrats do illegal stuff and they don't want the GOP to call them out on their illegal stuff in retaliation for the Democrats calling out the GOP on their illegal stuff. This way they both get to continue to do illegal stuff.
Honestly it's either this. Or the DEMs are basically admitting that the Jan 6th investigations are a sham, and they don't want the GOP to do sham investigations on them. Sham in that they know nothing they find will stick, and it's being used as a negative news piece for the cycle because people genuinely hope for justice.

You've got dudes like Cruz already saying as soon as they gain control of congress, they're gonna impeach Biden no matter what. So it's warranted, but the Dems could really stop being afraid on sunlight anytime they go outside.

GOP disgusted me when Trump was in office, and they still do, but honestly the Dems are just soft babies, who haven't don't anything of consequence.
It's what nocera said. They all have a pretty sick gig and would never do anything to jeopardize that. They might be against each other but at the end of the day they're all on the same team

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Calls for Trump to add JFK Jr to the ticket in 2024:
FLORENCE, Ariz. — Ray Kallatsa is a die-hard Trumper who “definitely” wants to see former President Donald Trump run for office again in 2024.

So it was natural that he’d travel from Tucson to see Trump’s first rally of 2022. But as Kallatsa stood there on Saturday, pondering whom he would like to see as Trump’s next veep — from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, to former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, to onetime national security adviser turned ardent conspiracy theorist Mike Flynn — an unorthodox idea came to him.

“JFK Jr.,” he said, referencing the son of the 35th president who died in a plane crash in 1999. Kallatsa realized he might have come off a bit odd with the suggestion. “I don’t want to sound too much like a conspiracy theorist, but he’s coming back,” he explained. “He’s supposed to reveal himself on the 17th if he’s truly alive. I think we’ll see him.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/1 ... 024-527253

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:29 pm

I'd go with Abe Lincoln if I were him

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 pm

I'd go with Abe Lincoln if I were him
I feel like WWN died because it couldn't keep up with the stuff people actually believed.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:11 pm

FLORENCE, Ariz. — Ray Kallatsa is a die-hard Trumper who “definitely” wants to see former President Donald Trump run for office again in 2024.

So it was natural that he’d travel from Tucson to see Trump’s first rally of 2022. But as Kallatsa stood there on Saturday, pondering whom he would like to see as Trump’s next veep — from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, to former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, to onetime national security adviser turned ardent conspiracy theorist Mike Flynn — an unorthodox idea came to him.

“JFK Jr.,” he said, referencing the son of the 35th president who died in a plane crash in 1999. Kallatsa realized he might have come off a bit odd with the suggestion. “I don’t want to sound too much like a conspiracy theorist, but he’s coming back,” he explained. “He’s supposed to reveal himself on the 17th if he’s truly alive. I think we’ll see him.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/1 ... 024-527253
I could be wrong on my Q lore, but what are they saying about the other how many times JFK Jr was supposed to show up somewhere and still hasn't?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm

I could be wrong on my Q lore, but what are they saying about the other how many times JFK Jr was supposed to show up somewhere and still hasn't?
No idea. Kind of like the religious groups that have said the world will end on a certain day and then it doesn't. Well, it will end next week.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:08 am

Why on Earth would people want to elect a person who was dumb enough to fly VFR into IMC conditions, at dusk/night, over water, and not only without an instrument rating, but also without being fully trained on the new-to-him aircraft he had just bought (JFK Jr. likely didn't know how to work the autopilot on his Piper Saratoga, for example). And not only that, but when a flight instructor offered to fly along, JFK Jr. refused and said "I want to do it myself." If someone were actually trying to commit suicide by spatial disorientation, all they'd need to do is do everything that JFK Jr. did.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am

Why on Earth would people want to elect a person who was dumb enough to fly VFR into IMC conditions, at dusk/night, over water
because most people, including me, have no idea what the hell this means

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 am

Anyone flying this week? 5G rollout could be problematic:

https://apple.news/AWxrBE52xSZO4j1L2okKCcA

A whole lot of nothing? They've delayed it a few times already. Another Y2K type nothingburger, hopefully.

Maybe, maybe not. There are airlines that have already canceled flights or switched up hardware (substituting other aircraft for 777s or 787s, for example) including Emirates, Air India, All Nippon Airways, and Japan Airlines.

From what I understand, 5G isn't just a single band of frequencies. 5G phones operate over a mix of frequencies, some of them designed for long-range but slower speeds, some for short range but very high speeds, and some in the middle. What we have now is a new band of 5G signals coming on line that hasn't been used before. And the concern is that the new cell signals are close to the frequencies that aircraft use for their radio altimeters, which are basically like police speed guns that point forward and down. Unlike the barometric altimeters, which tell you how high you are in relation to sea level, the RA gives to a real-time distance down to the ground. If you've ever watched a video of an aircraft landing and you hear a computer voice count down "50, 40, 30, 20, 10," that's the RA at work.

If the RA gets scrambled signals close to the ground, that could be very bad. Instrument landing systems depend heavily on the RA both for touching down property and for telling you when you've reached "decision height" where you need to either see the runway or execute a go-around. When doing something like an autopilot CAT III ILS approach in limited visibility where the autopilot basically flies the aircraft the whole way down to the runway, the RA tells the autopilot when to start the flare for landing. If the autopilot gets bad data due to interference, it could fail to flare and essentially slam the aircraft into the runway. Or the aircraft could flare way too soon, retard the engines, and end up stalling and crashing way short of the runway. And the autopilot also uses the RA to set the autothrottles and retard thrust at the right height. Not only all of that, but RA also play into the GPWS, TCAS, and windshear-alert systems. This is a list of the ways that a commercial aircraft factors in RA data:

- The Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) control panels supply radio minimums values to the Display Processing Computer, which calculates radio minimums alerts that show on the display units.
- Each Flight Control Computer (FCC) uses radio altitude from its on-side RA transmitter unit.
- Each Flight Control Computer uses RA in the approach control and low-altitude flight calculations.
- The Autothrottle (A/T) uses Radio Altitude in the Takeoff/Go Around (TO/GA) calculations and A/T flare calculations.
- The Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS) uses Radio Altitude in its ground proximity alert and warning logic calculations.
- The Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) computer uses RA to set the sensitivity levels for intruder advisory calculations and to determine if an intruder aircraft is on the ground.
- The Digital Flight Data Acquisition Unit (FDAU) records RA values.
- The Weather Radar uses RA to turn on or off the Predictive Wind Shear (PWS) function.

I certainly do hope this turns out to be nothing, but this is a serious potential threat to aviation safety that needs to be fully investigated. A 787 plowing into the ground and killing a couple hundred people isn't something that anyone wants to see. The thing that surprises me is that it got to the point where the 5G towers are being turned on without ensuring that they prevent no threat to aviation.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 am

because most people, including me, have no idea what the hell this means
VFR = visual flight rules. It means you are flying/navigating by looking outside of the aircraft and making visual reference to the ground, horizon, and landmarks. You must be able to see where you are going. A pilot flying VFR from Pittsburgh to Cleveland, for example, might navigate by looking down and following highways. A pilot rated for VFR-only flight cannot fly into clouds, for example, because in a cloud you lose reference to the ground/horizon. VFR pilots must always be able to see where they are going.

IMC = Instrument meteorological conditions. It means that weather conditions (e.g., fog, rain, low clouds, haze, snow, etc.) are such that the pilot physically cannot see where he is going and must fly/navigate using instruments only.

Another important definition: IFR = instrument flight rules. Means you are flying/navigating by using instruments. A pilot who is "instrument rated" has passed a certification to fly under IFR. One may fly IFR in perfectly fine weather even when VFR flying is available. All commercial airliners fly under IFR at all times, that is, they are always navigating using various types of electronic waypoints (GPS coordinates, ground-based navigation beacons, etc.) and not by looking down and following landmarks on the ground. A pilot flying IFR from Pittsburgh to Cleveland would fill out and file a flight plan where they proceed to fly from waypoint to waypoint until they reach their destination.

Flying VFR into IMC means that one flies into bad weather with no visibility without the training necessary to actually control and navigate the aircraft under those conditions because you've only been trained to fly by making reference to the stuff you see outside the window, and you can't see anything in IMC. It's a really, really, good way to quickly kill yourself. That's how JFK, Jr. died.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:35 am

Just seen on twitter: covid protestors think antifa hacked Google Maps because they've been going around in circles for an hour. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:34 am

Thanks, @Shyster ! Very informative.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:45 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 am

Tucker Carlson pushes blatantly false InfoWars conspiracy theory that white people are being denied monoclonal antibodies because of their race
https://www.businessinsider.com/tucker- ... reddit.com

Airing a shorter version of a clip that was first shared by InfoWars host Harrison Hill Smith and later posted to the conspiracy site's page, Carlson omitted the latter portion of the video where Smith is told he can't receive monoclonal antibody treatment because of his lack of underlying health conditions.

"If you were 65, you'd be good," the nurse tells the InfoWars host in a portion of the video Carlson didn't air. "But nope, you're healthy and [have] no medical conditions, so research shows that you should be able to fight off COVID."
When can we cancel Tucker?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 am

Nothingburger except when it comes to racing to the bottom for his primary. Also, if she can ask him the question then she's old enough to be able to handle the response from a true Alpha like Dan. Being kind and understanding her confusion would have been such a Beta move, :slug: