Religion Discussion Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 am

It's interesting that even back then with the three major branches of Judaism with different ideas/interpretations of their faith anyone can say with any confidence that their interpretations are the "correct" ones. Or I guess a better way to say it is that anyone can say with confidence that someone else's interpretation is incorrect (provided the interpretations aren't nut-job crazy). In his interview, Ehrman seemed to take the position that even if you ascribe to interpretations that aren't similar to his, he's not going to go out of his way to try to correct you, provided you're not doing harm in your expression of faith. Then again, what defines "harm". He said that he was emotionally scarred by the concept of Hell as a kid, and many other are scarred by it as well, and he considers that to do psychological harm to many.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:49 am

I didn't listen to the podcast, but in general fire and brimstone preaching is a bad way to proclaim the Gospel. I don't know if that was the gist of it or not, but there is no "good news" in declaring a heaven/hell scenario. Jesus himself did not go around preaching hellfire, so no reason for anybody to do so today.

This is not to say there isn't a heaven or a hell. Point is, no sinful human is going to be the judge of man's fate when the time comes, so why pretend to be one now?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:58 am

What is GSS?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 am

What is GSS?
The General Social Survey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Social_Survey

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:02 pm

I caught part of Deborah Feldman on Fresh Air today at lunch. She wrote a memoir about leaving the ultra-orthodox Satmar Hasidic community in Brooklyn. Netflix's "Unorthodox" was inspired by her work. She said something that kind of caught me off guard. She said that compared to other developed countries, the USA has far more religious sects that people "escape" from. Whether that be he with the Hasidic Jewish community like her, or people leaving the Amish community, Mormonism, Scientology (and I know... is that a "religion"? Kinda...) or even to an extent the Southern Baptist style of Christianity.

Groups that when you leave, you're cut off from family and the community, or worse sometimes where they bankrupt or even threaten your life. I'm curious if maybe @Gaucho could weigh in a bit, or anyone with familiarity to religions in other "developed" countries... is truly that more prevalent here than other places?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:14 pm

I can't imagine that is true.

There are like a zillion Hindu breakoffs in India that make the Amish look like Haight-Ashbury.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Yeah... I would imagine in places like the ME, India, Africa, etc there are more cases of that occurring.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:21 pm

And I imagine we either don't hear of/count all instances in India, ME, etc. because of the religious hold on those cultures. "The West" is probably an easier culture to run from.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:36 pm

She did say "developed" countries, I think... When I hear that, I tend to overlook India and some of the middle east. Perhaps "The West" is a better descriptor?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:01 pm

Unorthodox was a heck of an eye opener about that community. It's amazing they can operate businesses, or even dress themselves in the morning.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:50 pm

Unorthodox was a heck of an eye opener about that community. It's amazing they can operate businesses, or even dress themselves in the morning.
I've learned a lot about the Hasidic community in recent years. In a lot of ways, to paraphrase Freddy, they make Amish/Mennonite folks look like unitarian universalists.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:04 pm

I've learned a lot about the Hasidic community in recent years. In a lot of ways, to paraphrase Freddy, they make Amish/Mennonite folks look like unitarian universalists.
if the show was accurate...it's like if you take a bunch of toddlers and teleport them into adulthood with zero information or guidance. they didn't even seem intentionally cruel. it was more like the behavior of the brain damaged/drug addicted.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:22 pm

if the show was accurate...it's like if you take a bunch of toddlers and teleport them into adulthood with zero information or guidance. they didn't even seem intentionally cruel. it was more like the behavior of the brain damaged/drug addicted.
Their most prominent town (in Orange County, NY, so southern Hudson Valley), I believe has the highest rate of poverty in the country. There are quite a few Hasidic enclaves in that area north of the city.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/chu ... -time.aspx
Americans' membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup's eight-decade trend. In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm

You have to wrap it up quicker than the bible if you're going to bullshlt todays kids.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm

In the decades after the American Revolution church attendance was somewhere around 7%.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm

time for a third great awakening

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:31 pm

In the decades after the American Revolution church attendance was somewhere around 7%.
and a new McDonald's is rat free.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 pm

In one of our big all hands calls at work, they decided to have one of the attendees do a little presentation on Islam? I guess Ramadan or something is coming up so this was like a “Muslims...just like you!” Thing.

It’s whatever. I did something else during the presentation.

But how long is this going to be tenable where the deists and atheists can coexist with some degree of peace on this stuff? I didn’t mind since I could choose to ignore it but a professional institution with contracts...data....metrics...scientific studies - and here we are talking about imaginary entities that demand servility or else!

I think religion needs to and will become increasingly personal over the next couple decades. Aside from the weird mushing of world views in mixed company (I extend this to any state policy regarding religion), it’s just going to be a minority of Americans who believe in any of it and we’ll all look around one day and decide...yeah that was weird. Follow God if you want but we’re gonna move on.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:17 pm

...and yeah maybe there was an element of “my company is giving air time to someone explaining a book that thinks i should be murdered for not agreeing with it” that I didn’t care for.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:19 pm

In one of our big all hands calls at work, they decided to have one of the attendees do a little presentation on Islam? I guess Ramadan or something is coming up so this was like a “Muslims...just like you!” Thing.

It’s whatever. I did something else during the presentation.

But how long is this going to be tenable where the deists and atheists can coexist with some degree of peace on this stuff? I didn’t mind since I could choose to ignore it but a professional institution with contracts...data....metrics...scientific studies - and here we are talking about imaginary entities that demand servility or else!

I think religion needs to and will become increasingly personal over the next couple decades. Aside from the weird mushing of world views in mixed company (I extend this to any state policy regarding religion), it’s just going to be a minority of Americans who believe in any of it and we’ll all look around one day and decide...yeah that was weird. Follow God if you want but we’re gonna move on.
Fwiw, I'm in a weekly book club with my church, a pretty conservative denomination. Last week, there was a discussion on secularism and to a person (including the pastor), everyone agreed that church and state should be completely separated. The vast majority of Christians, I'm sure, agree. The only thing the state should do is protect our right to practice as long as it doesn't harm others.

There is really only one world religion in which a sizable percentage of adherents want to live in a theocracy, and want their religious beliefs to dictate every aspect of dally life. Oddly, it's the one religion that everyone in the West kowtows to.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:27 pm

Orthodox Judaism?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:15 pm

And we kowtow to all religions except the ones that were invented more recently.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Orthodox Judaism?
Big time. Their treatment of women is disgusting.