Viva la Ben

Religion Discussion Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 am

#RessurectionChallenge

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:53 pm

@Freddy Rumsen

Kind of a fun question that I wonder if it is discussed behind closed doors at the Presbytery. Would you say there is an unwritten etiquette for the prayer request portion of the service? Hypothetically, do you think a woman droning on for nearly five minutes about every little detail of her cousin's great aunt health issues? :lol:

I swear some people use that part of the service just to hold the mic for a while.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:02 pm

@Freddy Rumsen

Kind of a fun question that I wonder if it is discussed behind closed doors at the Presbytery. Would you say there is an unwritten etiquette for the prayer request portion of the service? Hypothetically, do you think a woman droning on for nearly five minutes about every little detail of her cousin's great aunt health issues? :lol:

I swear some people use that part of the service just to hold the mic for a wh@Freddy Rumsen
Yep. I've been known to play people off...also why I never give up the mic. ;)

Far too often prayer meetings end up as organ recitals.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Can I get a tldnr on what a jehovas witness is? Like where does their belief structure fall in with the rest of em?

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Can I get a tldnr on what a jehovas witness is? Like where does their belief structure fall in with the rest of em?
Welp
I'll skip the ontology and go for some anecdotes. Thirty years ago a whole bunch of JW's moved from Long Island to where we live and erected a Kingdom Hall. Never met a Witness who wasn't super pleasant which given that they believe **** is going to blow up any day now is a really remarkable.

A lot of them strike me as overly fatalistic. One dude used to be a dentist. He now washes storefront windows. Another guy was an attorney. Now he owns a couple riding mowers and cuts grass. No sense pursuing the American dream since Satan (who has been here here since 1914) is verging on a lethal strike.

If you tell them up front you're not interested in their spiel they will at some point give it one more shot, but if you're a decisive no the 2nd time around they'll leave you alone for good.

Also, you'll never be invited to a JW Christmas party...and they won't come to yours.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Anti-Trinitarian

Rewrote the Bible so it magically lines up with what the believe.

Started by a woman.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 am

https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-an ... sity-54897

"One possibility [is] that people use their religious beliefs [to obtain] self-enhancement, a sense of empowerment, and better self-regulation... extensive research evidence that more intelligent people already benefit from higher self-evaluation, a higher sense of control, and more efficient self-control. As such, more intelligent people have less of a need for religiosity"

:pop:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm

https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-an ... sity-54897

"One possibility [is] that people use their religious beliefs [to obtain] self-enhancement, a sense of empowerment, and better self-regulation... extensive research evidence that more intelligent people already benefit from higher self-evaluation, a higher sense of control, and more efficient self-control. As such, more intelligent people have less of a need for religiosity"

:pop:
Here's another interesting one. So can we draw another correlation that black people are dumber than white people? :pop:

The pastor of my church is an extremely intelligent dude. He's my age, has done his PhD, and his level of knowledge (not just theological, but historical, etc) is really impressive. This hasn't been the first study to come out that basically labels religious people as a bunch of dumb sheep, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

For the record, I don't like Young Earth Creationism and I belong to an Evangelical Presbyterian Church. I don't like that science and religion always have to be at odds. I firmly believe that the universe was created, and didn't just appear as something from nothing. That said, I also believe that the Earth is five billion years old, evolution, dinosaurs, etc. So maybe I'm not a very good evangelical then <shrug>

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm

I was more just poking fun. Obviously when there is a study on a group of people, making any particular claim about that group of people will be met with "Well, what about Pastor Dave? He's a smart fella!" along with "What about that stoner dude down the street that isn't religious? He's a dumb dick..." You try to put any people in a box, people are going to break out of it.

That said, on average... ;)

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:36 pm

I think you can draw a correlation between people being poor and uneducated with being religious.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:39 pm

No, I know it wasn't meant in a mean-spirited way.

And that's the reason why I posted the Pew study. Combining those two studies, you can make a pretty good hypothesis that black millennials, on average, are less intelligent than white millennials, as they are much more religious. Now of course, putting out a study like that would be met, understandably, with outrage. Religious people have been a target for these kinds of studies going back years, but then again they are not a "protected class" either.

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Whatever gets one through the day and helps them sleep at night. As long as that doesn’t include trying to convince others of your beliefs.

And as long as big government is feeding at the rest of our troughs, remove the tax-exempt status.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:25 pm

That seems unconstitutional.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:41 pm

They'll be graded on substance and relevance instead, so they should still get zeros.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Coincidentally, I saw this today:

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/o ... o-religion
See? I hate this stuff. It makes me cringe and honestly be embarrassed.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:52 pm

For the record, I don't like Young Earth Creationism and I belong to an Evangelical Presbyterian Church. I don't like that science and religion always have to be at odds. I firmly believe that the universe was created, and didn't just appear as something from nothing. That said, I also believe that the Earth is five billion years old, evolution, dinosaurs, etc. So maybe I'm not a very good evangelical then <shrug>
I'd say it makes you typical of someone who believes in creation but also didn't apply armor plating over their brain to prevent learning.

God doing a big bang to create the universe is a perfectly acceptable explanation, as far as tying them together with what we know so far. The biggest problem I have with it is that with everything we know about this universe, the events of the Bible (or any other holy book) just seems like small potatoes. The more we examine the scale of our actions, even within just this local star cluster, combined with the possibilities of Hilbert space and the amount of galaxies, it's a tough sell to come back to caring what the pre-toilet dead people had to say about the sky.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I'd say it makes you typical of someone who believes in creation but also didn't apply armor plating over their brain to prevent learning.

God doing a big bang to create the universe is a perfectly acceptable explanation, as far as tying them together with what we know so far. The biggest problem I have with it is that with everything we know about this universe, the events of the Bible (or any other holy book) just seems like small potatoes. The more we examine the scale of our actions, even within just this local star cluster, combined with the possibilities of Hilbert space and the amount of galaxies, it's a tough sell to come back to caring what the pre-toilet dead people had to say about the sky.
At least half the Bible was written during the times of the Romans, which had running water a Latrines... :pop:

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Unless that half of the Bible was about the creation, who cares.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Unless that half of the Bible was about the creation, who cares.
The other half had the Indus Valley civilization (Pakistan) which also had toilets... :pop:

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:29 pm