Religion Discussion Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Source of the post I have some questions for non-believers: what is the point of human emotion, since it doesn't seem to appear to have any affect on our existence?
well there's no point to literally everything. do you mean why hasn't emotion been left behind as we evolve? chicks dig sensitive guys and sociopaths are usually not that fun to breed with.
In the world of macro evolution, emotion was something that evolved. The first single cell organism probably didn't have emotion. Therefore, somewhere along the line emotion developed and the species continued on with it as it proved to be an essential part of life. But why would hate, worry, stress, etc. be essential? At best the negative benefits of emotions cancel out the good ones.

Or is it your opinion that some things are just there, and have no positive or negative impact on the species?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Source of the post I have some questions for non-believers: what is the point of human emotion, since it doesn't seem to appear to have any affect on our existence?
well there's no point to literally everything. do you mean why hasn't emotion been left behind as we evolve? chicks dig sensitive guys and sociopaths are usually not that fun to breed with.
In the world of macro evolution, emotion was something that evolved. The first single cell organism probably didn't have emotion. Therefore, somewhere along the line emotion developed and the species continued on with it as it proved to be an essential part of life. But why would hate, worry, stress, etc. be essential? At best the negative benefits of emotions cancel out the good ones.

Or is it your opinion that some things are just there, and have no positive or negative impact on the species?
some things are just there because of coincidence. some things aren't eliminated because they don't impact choosing your mate.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I don't think there's such a thing as de-evolution, or at least there's not any evidence of this sort of thing: going back to exactly as it was. But an organism can continue to evolve into what would appear as reverse. For instance dolphins, whales, orcas, etc have evidence that they were once land animals that went back to the sea (where all organisms started).
If DNA can mutate, it should be able to mutate into things that are beneficial and things that are not beneficial. Evolution says the non-beneficial mutations don't make it since only the strong survive. However, if a human de-evolved, meaning went back to the chimpanzee family, it could survive. Therefore, if evolution is plausible, de-evolution must also be plausible. Why isn't it seen? Simple mathematics says it should be there. There should also exist any species in between, as it wasn't like that species wasn't fit for life.
A few things:

1. "Only the strong survive" is completely false. There's a lot of luck involved. For instance, Neanderthals and Humans once co-existed. By all accounts Neanderthals were the superior species. Humans filled the same niche as them and when that happens only one species can win out. Scientists have long wondered how/why humans won that "battle". The most recent evidence suggests it was merely persistence. More and more humans kept migrating from Africa into Europe and over enough time, the Humans won out because they just had more chances to do so.

2. We did not evolve from chimpanzees. Chimpanzees and humans have a common ancestor that is long extinct, but we did not evolve from them.

3. Let's say somehow, someway, this "de-evolution" could happen... how would we see that? Evolution happens over thousands... millions of years. If it were in the fossil record we would say that a species was around before we previously thought, or lived longer than we had previously thought.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

1. "Only the strong survive" is completely false. There's a lot of luck involved. For instance, Neanderthals and Humans once co-existed. By all accounts Neanderthals were the superior species. Humans filled the same niche as them and when that happens only one species can win out. Scientists have long wondered how/why humans won that "battle". The most recent evidence suggests it was merely persistence. More and more humans kept migrating from Africa into Europe and over enough time, the Humans won out because they just had more chances to do so.
Question -- did they not interbreed?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

They, in fact, did.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm

They, in fact, did.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Stress isn't an emotion. Worry is definitely essential, especially if you're some proto-hominid wandering around in lion or snake territory. What we call emotions are highly tuned versions of instincts that still show in other living things. Without them, we wouldn't take care of each other, fear an attacking predator, or be able to relax around a fire to unwind after a hard day of persistence hunting.

Emotions are emotions, they don't cancel each other out. They're all part of what has been passed to you through the ages, and just because some of them don't feel good, doesn't mean they aren't useful.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I’m watching “Meth Storm” and a preacher referred to doing drugs as a sin. While shooting drugs is generally not a good idea (although shouldn’t be illegal, imo), I don’t recall that sort of thing from Sunday School. Extension of Baptists being against the sauce?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:30 pm

I’m watching “Meth Storm” and a preacher referred to doing drugs as a sin. While shooting drugs is generally not a good idea (although shouldn’t be illegal, imo), I don’t recall that sort of thing from Sunday School. Extension of Baptists being against the sauce?
I've never really gotten that interpretation either. Corinthians 6:19 (among other verses) refers to treating our bodies well, but hey, we all eat things that are bad for us. I agree with you, I think it becomes sinful when it starts to take over one's life, or it has a detrimental impact on the person's behavior, ability to be a good parent/spouse, etc. JMO.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Drug policy reform has poor support among the faithful. It’s one of their many adorable quirks.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Drug policy reform has poor support among the faithful. It’s one of their many adorable quirks.
I would argue this is more correlation than causation, as I'm sure the percentage identifying themselves as such skew older. Older folks tend to be more conservative regardless.

There's this.

http://www.christiansforcannabis.com

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

PFIDC says hold my joint...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Also: please un-ban him. :)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

I would argue this is more correlation than causation, as I'm sure the percentage identifying themselves as such skew older. Older folks tend to be more conservative regardless.

There's this.

http://www.christiansforcannabis.com
It’s not a hot take to say there’s a correlation between republicans, theists and old timey views on social issues.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

The interest in contemporary “country” might be the worst offense.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 pm

The interest in contemporary “country” might be the worst offense.
:thumb: d

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 pm

I just saw a diagram showing that Jesus, the father, and holy spirit are NOT the same thing as each-other, but are all God. There are 3 of them, who are not the same, but together make Voltron God, who is simultaneously all 3 of them, and one God only.

Am I getting that? It's the first time I've seen it laid out that way.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 26, 2018 6:44 am

In a sense, sure.

Three persons, one essence.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Voltron God is a bit of a stretch, but yes, they are 3 separate persons. Think of 3 persons acting in perfect unity as to basically be one being.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Moe, Larry and Curly? Which makes the pope Shemp...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Go read Athanasius or Gregory of Nyssa on the Trinity, it will make more sense.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Freddy, I'm sure you love this guy...what a clown (but sadly, a very wealthy and successful clown).

http://www.nola.com/religion/index.ssf/ ... e_jet.html
In the video, Duplantis says God told him, "I want you to believe in me for a Falcon 7X." He tells viewers: "Pray about becoming a partner to it."

Duplantis' solicitation comes four months after another televangelist, the Newark, Texas-based Kenneth Copeland, announced he had bought a new Gulfstream V jet. That aircraft, when first sold in 1998, carried a $36 million price tag, The Christian Post reports.

In 2015, Duplantis and Copeland defended their use of private jets. In a segment on Copeland's television program, they argued that commercial planes were full of "a bunch of demons" that will bog down their busy schedules with prayer requests, The Washington Times reported.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Also: please un-ban him. :)
Ha, what a post.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Couple (with children) at our Church broke up. She was on the track to become a Pastor, he was unhappy and fooling around. They tried to save the marriage after he was caught (she was clueless he was unhappy, he couldn't believe she didn't notice). They get a divorce. She moves about 40 minutes south where she's been assigned a rural church but still comes up and participates in Mom's Group and other activities at our Church.
He still lives in town, and couldn't find a church he was comfortable at. After much deliberation, he decided to come back this weekend for the first time. Our normal pastor was out of town, so the Youth director gave the message to the group of about 200.

The Passage was The Story of the Adulterous Woman (John 7:53-8:11). I was squirming for him. Sure, it's a story of God's grace and forgiveness, but it's also pretty on point for the occasion. I mean, we're all sinners and that, but luckily looking at pron on the internet and cussing like a sailor weren't specific Bible stories. It feels like the Grace in the teaching could just as easily be misused as a spotlight on the sin.

Turns out he said he felt very comfortable, and that the kids were happy, and everything was hunky dory.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 pm

None of that is good for either the couple involved or the church. I agree that one of the major problems in the church today is that Grace is seeing as a license to sin and that sin in and of itself it's really not that big a deal.

Adultery is automatic grounds for dismissal from office in our denomination.

It should be understood that yes we're all Sinners and all fall short of the glory of God but the Bible shows us that some sins make us unqualified for office within the church.

Though I bet someone would bring up David and his adultery with Bathsheba as a reason that this is okay. However I'm not sure any of us are David.