Shaving and Grooming

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

I got a Bevel kit for Christmas. Tried using it twice. The second time, I sliced my neck to ribbons trying to use the fcking thing, and I could not get a close shave at all.

Decided to try Schick Hydro today, and loved it. Super close shave, no irritation. I even shave against the grain to get it completely down to the surface. As much as I hate paying that kind of money for razors, I have never gotten a good shave with the off-brand clubs and such.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am

Thought you'd be a Gillette guy...

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am

I was :wink:

I had thought about trying Schick for a while and decided to give it a go. I am really impressed with their razor. Conforms to my face way better than the Fusion.

dodint

Shaving and Grooming

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 am

I use Harry's. It works.

I only shave once a week though.

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 pm

I was :wink:

I had thought about trying Schick for a while and decided to give it a go. I am really impressed with their razor. Conforms to my face way better than the Fusion.
Did you switch to Schick because of the commercial, at least in part?

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 pm

It’s fusion or gtfo, those things last forever.

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm

\Did you switch to Schick because of the commercial, at least in part?
I had been thinking about trying a different razor for a while, and then I got the Bevel for Christmas. I am not really a fan of boycotts at all, but the furor over the commercial definitely got me at least thinking about what other brands are out there since I've been with Gillette going back almost two decades. Plus, they sponsor the Pats stadium.

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 pm

I still use a Mach3 and didnt even realize the Fusion is also a Gillette product as I basically tune that advertising out after being an early adopter of the mach 3

Is the Fusion really much better for those that went from the mach 3 to the fusion

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:55 pm

I am a Mach 3 guy myself.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Shaving and Grooming

Postby meow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm

I use a Fusion, but my vote shouldn't carry full weight because I only shave about 30% of my real estate. Perhaps 3/5 of a vote, if you will

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm

The fusion has a single trim blade for where your nose and upper lip meet. It does a much better job than the 5-7 blades on the face shaving side.

blackjack68

Shaving and Grooming

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm

The fusion has a single trim blade for where your nose and upper lip meet. It does a much better job than the 5-7 blades on the face shaving side.
Hmm...always thought that was for sideburn maintenance.

blackjack68

Shaving and Grooming

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm

I still use a Mach3 and didnt even realize the Fusion is also a Gillette product as I basically tune that advertising out after being an early adopter of the mach 3

Is the Fusion really much better for those that went from the mach 3 to the fusion
I like the Fusion better because I have sensitive spots just below my chin and the Fusion doesn’t irritate them.

blackjack68

Shaving and Grooming

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Oddly enough, I just realized I also drive a Fusion and it too is smooth.

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

7 blades??? Love to shave my face with an engine fan from a 767

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:37 pm

I tried one of those 5 blade razors - one time. Not easy to get used to. I'll stick to my Trac II, thank you.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm still using my collection of safety razors, as well as the Leaf razor I bought last year. Shaf, I would advise giving the Bevel some more time. It does take time to get the hang of using a safety razor, especially around the nose and chin, and two shaves is not going to be enough to get it down. The transition can be especially hard if one is used to a razor with a pivoting head. With a safety razor, you have to maintain the right blade angle yourself, and it takes time (and blood) to intuit what that should be.

I have a product I want to NOT recommend: Cremo Shave Cream in the "Bourbon" scent. I bought the cream to use when traveling so I didn't have to pack my soap and brushes. The cream itself works fine and gives a decent shave, but the "Bourbon" scent smells like a combination of brown sugar and stale cigarette ashes. Not only is the smell pungent and revolting, it is extremely powerful and long-lasting. I would try to scrub the smell off my face with soap and water after shaving, and I could still smell it hours later. I threw the cream out.

the wicked child

Shaving and Grooming

Postby the wicked child » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I use Harry's. It works.

I only shave once a week though.
That was my issue... The razor worked... Maybe twice and then was junk and I have to shave every day.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Shaving and Grooming

Postby iamjs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 pm

I switched over to Schick about a year ago. Ended up getting a free sample pack from some survey that I filled out. Coincidentally I was on my last razor when the box from this sample company arrived. The Gillette that I was using had some high mileage on it so I decided to jump to this Schick and hasn't looked back to Gillette.

I tried to jump to Harry's last month. To say that their razors suck is an understatement. I forgot my razor when I drove up to our office up north and ran to Target. Saw the big Harry's display and thought "sure, why not?" It felt like it was pulling every bit of hair out of my face, and that was only going 2-3 days without shaving. I had to tough it out through that shave and didn't shave until I returned home.

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 pm

The transition can be especially hard if one is used to a razor with a pivoting head. With a safety razor, you have to maintain the right blade angle yourself, and it takes time (and blood) to intuit what that should be.
And that goes both ways. I think that was the worst part of trying that 5-blade pivoting head monstrosity. I had no control...
Last edited by Willie Kool on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Safety razor took some time, but I got used to it and definitely gives the best shave. I have a beard, so just use it for neck when I’ve not shaved in a few days or if i want a really close shave. For daily quick shaves I use Harry’s. No issues. Only use water.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Shaving and Grooming

Postby LITT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 am

i used safety razors for a few years. there is something elegant about the process, however, i have been using shitty target brand 5 blade razors now and its much easier.

i posted this last page but would like to include another endorsement for https://blackshipgroomingco.com/

the guy is based out of beaver. the best shaving soaps i have used. a tub of soap last me about 6 months with an every day shave

NTP66

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:08 am

Source of the post I use Dorco Pace 6 blades after getting frustrated with trying every single Gillette blade known to man. I found that disposable Bic's were more comfortable, and lasted longer, than Gillettes. The Dorco's last an amazing long time for me. I can go 2-3 months before needing to change the blade. Blades are also much cheaper than Gillette.
Quoting an old post because it's still accurate. Dorco Pace 6's are a better, lower cost alternative to those of you using a Fusion or similar (coming from an ex-Fusion guy). I also vote for using Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream.

robbiestoupe

Shaving and Grooming

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 am

:thumb:

Still slicing with the Dorco's. Probably haven't bought any since that post either.

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 am

Safety razor took some time, but I got used to it and definitely gives the best shave.
I dunno. With a Schick, I just shave against the grain both ways. Very little irritation if at all, and my skin is literally baby-smooth afterwards. And only takes me a few minutes. I do like the after shave balm, nicer shaving cream, and I use a brush now, but I'm drawing the line at the safety razor. I get a really, really close shave with the 5-blade Hydro.