Shaving and Grooming

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Just ordered a Weishi razor and some Feather blades.

redwill

Shaving and Grooming

Postby redwill » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:11 pm

No clue what you folks are talking about.

I haven't shaved in ten years and haven't had a haircut in twenty.

Well, that's not exactly true. I do shave my mustache once in while for an Amish look. I like the double-takes I get. But the main reason is that it's a lot easier to eat soup.
Heathen.
Funny you should say that. The last haircut I got was by a self-described Wicca high priestess in the remote woods of Kentucky.

No lie.

She was worried about my split ends.

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Shaving: Clean shave (Trac II) about once a week - change blades every other month. I stocked up on Trac II blades when I heard Gillette was stopping production. I should be good for at least another 10 years.
When you run out in 10 years, I believe other companies have stepped in to fill the Trac II void:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personn ... _2063.html
Actually, I may have stocked up for no reason. The original Gillette cartridges are still available at a reasonable $2 each.

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

:lol:

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 pm

This is the #1 best seller on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/VIKINGS-Chieftai ... +razor+men

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 pm

This is the #1 best seller on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/VIKINGS-Chieftai ... +razor+men
The "Swedish materials" line on that razor is bunkum. The folks over at the badgerandblade.com forum say that razor is made by Bali—a Chinese razor company—and its of no higher quality than a Weishi razor. $37 is way too much. One can buy the exact same razor on Amazon under the "Wellkage" name for $13, and if one digs around the razor is sold under other names too (I see it being sold under the Bigfoot Shaves, Elkaline, and GoBetter names, among others):

https://www.amazon.com/WELLKAGE-Double- ... QWVHA?th=1

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Shaving and Grooming

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 am

ive been using proraso shaving soap for the last 4 years or so with a brush from a shop in NYC. i tried about 6 or 7 other soaps. for me it is the best balance of cost effectiveness and performance. it sells for about 8 bucks on amazon. i stocked up on a bunch for 2 euro when we were in italy and i am on my last container unfortunately. (they also sell a tube which performs well that i used while abroad but was confiscated by customs).
in terms of razors, i was using astra safety razors for a while but have switched the the target brand replaceable head.

Dickie Dunn

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am

I have a Merkur safety razor and Feather blades, Proraso pre-shave cream, Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream, and Pacific Shaving Company caffeinated cream/aftershave.

My biggest issue (thanks to 100% to shaving practices in boot camp) is ingrown hairs. I've used every method of shaving (standard razor with anywhere from 1 blade to 85 blades, foil electric razor, rotary electric razor, double edged safety razor, etc.) to try to combat the issue and everything works for a bit but the issue always comes back. The closeness of double edged safety razors actually made the issue worse once it came back and I had actually considered laser hair removal on my face. At this point I've given up on being clean shaven and go with a trimmed beard/stubble that I put a million things to keep the hair as soft as possible.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Shaving and Grooming

Postby meow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am

What kind of beard cream do you bearded beauties use? I'm in the market for a change

Dickie Dunn

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 am

What kind of beard cream do you bearded beauties use? I'm in the market for a change
Grave Before Shave beard oil and beard balm. I prefer the Bay Rum and Head Hunter scents.

robbiestoupe

Shaving and Grooming

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I use Dorco Pace 6 blades after getting frustrated with trying every single Gillette blade known to man. I found that disposable Bic's were more comfortable, and lasted longer, than Gillettes. The Dorco's last an amazing long time for me. I can go 2-3 months before needing to change the blade. Blades are also much cheaper than Gillette.

I prefer to use shaving gel due to the cost, but I've used soap in the past. Soap is marginally better, but not worth the extra cost IMO. I will also endorse the horse hair brushes.

Aftershave gel after the shave is a must for me as well.

Jim

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:01 pm

I dry shave with an old Gillette Sensor. Replacement blades are getting hard to find. I usually leave the blade on until it starts pulling instead of cutting and then replace it. If I haven't shaved for a few days I will go over with my electric Norelco first to make the hairs shorter and easier for the razor to cut. I shave before I shower so no aftershave.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 pm

ive been using proraso shaving soap for the last 4 years or so with a brush from a shop in NYC. i tried about 6 or 7 other soaps. for me it is the best balance of cost effectiveness and performance. it sells for about 8 bucks on amazon. i stocked up on a bunch for 2 euro when we were in italy and i am on my last container unfortunately. (they also sell a tube which performs well that i used while abroad but was confiscated by customs).
A good inexpensive shaving soap is Arko. It's a Turkish-made tallow-based soap that comes either in small sticks or in pucks in screw-top plastic containers. A lot of people buy the sticks, slice them up, and mush them down into their soap bowls. I bought a puck/container to use when traveling, and it's actually a great soap that forms nice slick lather. The only downside I see is that Arko has a sort of artificial lemony scent that smells to me like a lemon-scented floor cleaner or furniture polish, but the scent doesn't linger all that long. It's super cheap. One can buy a dozen 90 g sticks on Amazon for 12 bucks, and that's an amount equivalent to something like 8 pucks of a shaving soap like Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat.

https://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Sti ... =arko+soap

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

So I got the Weishi razor and some feather blades. Even with 2-3 days growth, it was incredibly smooth on my cheeks. One pass, all good. My problem is the neck and chin area. I'm cutting the hell out of myself. I assume it's just a matter of the angle and practice?

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Pretty much, yes. That's probably the biggest adjustment from most cartridge razors: you have to maintain the angle yourself, and it does take practice. Some tips I can offer:

Work on the angle by pressing the top of the razor flat against your face, and then tip the razor down until the blade just barely touches the skin. That's around the angle you want.

Don't apply much pressure to the razor. Just let it glide over the skin. In my experience cuts get more likely the harder you press.

Shorter strokes work best in curvy areas.

MWB

Shaving and Grooming

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. I've certainly noticed that very little pressure is needed.

columbia

Shaving and Grooming

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 am

I've got some pretty terrible itching going on with my current beard. It's sometimes enough to keep me awake and it gets pretty uncomfortable at times during the day but I'd much rather find a solution than shave it off. I grew a pretty nice beard in August, shaved in Sept, then grew a pretty good one from then until January with little issue. And I've even taken better care of it now than I did then but I don't know what changed. Last time I shaved in January I did notice some skin irritation in spots that went away after a few days. But now I take a look under the hairs and theres spots on my face that look absolutely terrible, so I don't think I can even shave anyway until that gets cleared up or my face will look awful. Is this some condition or am I just not taking care of a beard properly?

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am

Beard oil

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am

I've got that and the beard cream but even whether using every day which I heard is a mistake, or every few days nothing changes. The oil sucks right now because if Im scratching so much it ends up all over my hands.

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

I've used a eucalyptus oil based product that worked great, but it smells like vapo rub

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 am

I make my own beard oil... 3 parts jojoba oil, 1 part sweet almond oil, few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of peppermint essential oils and boom, you've got beard oil. Smells like a minty pine forest.

NailedPenguin

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 am

Okay Ron Swanson

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

Ron Swanson typically doesn't have a beard... just a stash. And fine, go buy the same thing pre-mixed for you at a 4x mark-up.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Shaving and Grooming

Postby meow » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

NailedPenguin has fleas