Shaving and Grooming

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm

In the past when I had a beard, I just maintained it as I would the hair on my head: shampoo it daily and maybe hit it with some conditioner.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 pm

My skin gets super dry, especially in the winter, so the oil helps with that + itching.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Shaving and Grooming

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:59 am

i could never deal with a beard

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 am

Unless I do the just for men dye job, my beard is too weird.
I've grown a full beard twice...the last two cup wins.

columbia

Shaving and Grooming

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am

My beard is half grey, which is one of the reasons I don't have one.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:58 am

My grey now grows out as my beard grows. I've always hated being clean shaven, always done the 5oclock shadow look, but now when its that length its a ton of grey. So I'm screwed either way now.
Last edited by NailedPenguin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Shaving and Grooming

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 am

I don't have a particularly great beard, but it beats shaving everyday, and I'm also not looking to impress anyone, so I roll with it.

slappybrown

Shaving and Grooming

Postby slappybrown » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am

I've tried; I get to 6 or 7 days without shaving and can't deal with the itching at that point.

Viva la Ben

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:00 pm

My twins turned 11 in January, I'll need to teach them them very soon how to shave the ridiculous mustaches they are growing.

TobiasFunke

Shaving and Grooming

Postby TobiasFunke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:29 pm

My grey now grows out as my beard grows. I've always hated being clean shaven, always done the 5oclock shadow look, but now when its that length its a ton of grey. So I'm screwed either way now.
You ever try that Just for Men stuff? I've heard mixed things, but I've also heard you need to really learn how to apply it in order for it not to look like you took a sharpie to your beard lol.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Shaving and Grooming

Postby meow » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 pm

I've tried; I get to 6 or 7 days without shaving and can't deal with the itching at that point.
I've found that if you get to about day 10, the itching pretty much disappears

Gaucho

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Gaucho » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 pm

My twins turned 11 in January, I'll need to teach them them very soon how to shave the ridiculous mustaches they are growing.

TobiasFunke

Shaving and Grooming

Postby TobiasFunke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I've found that if you get to about day 10, the itching pretty much disappears
You really need to moisturize.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

Update: I had an infection. On antibiotics. Good news is I can keep my beard.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Shaving and Grooming

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am

does anyone use an electric shaver

NailedPenguin

Shaving and Grooming

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 pm

I don't know wtf happened but in the Fall of last year I the best beard of my life that began around this time. Smooth, all went in one direction, using beard creams and/or oils made it look even better. Now I cant get anything to sit down, I've got those flyaway hairs all over the place going in every direction. Creams or wax doesn't control it too well. Is there any other way to deal with that other than trim them individually, which doesn't really work anyway? First thing in the morning it seems to lay pretty nicely, but that goes out the window by the time I get to work. It looks more like I just haven't shaved, rather than I have a beard for the look.

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Could it be frizz from the summertime humidity? According to the covers of women's magazines I've read while in line at the grocery store, that seems to be a thing.

dodint

Shaving and Grooming

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 pm

hahaha

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Product review/recommendation. I backed the Leaf razor (https://leafshave.com/) when it was a Kickstarter project, and I've been using it for about a month now. The Leaf razor is a hybrid that is designed to mimic the look and feel of a cartridge razor but use inexpensive double-edged blades. You snap the double-edged blades in half and then load the half blades into the razor's pivoting head. The head has three blade slots that vary in aggressiveness, and you can load any combination of slots. I've been experimenting with blades in the different positions.

I like this razor. It gives a very nice shave, and the pivoting head makes chin and neck areas easier than a conventional double-edge razor. The razor appears to be of quality materials, and the design works. There are nice touches, such as magnets that hold the half-blades in place during loading. A matching stand is available, and it works well. As a Kickstarter backer, I got the stand and 100 blades as part of my package.

The only downside I've encountered is that it's difficult to do the upper lip and under the nose. The head of the Leaf is on the large size vis-à-vis most cartridge razors becuase it has to accommodate the larger double-edged blades, so I've found that I have to shave sideways rather than up and down to get under my nose. Still, this is a razor that acts like a cartridge razor but has the low costs of a double-edge razor. I can definitely recommend it.

Finally, a big factor that led me to back the Kickstarter is that the company is based in Pittsburgh. Here's a story from the P-G:
http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fashio ... 1607170022

shafnutz05

Shaving and Grooming

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm

I dunno...I hate giving my money to Gillette, but I don't trust any other razor. My wife got me a membership to DSC for my birthday one year, and I absolutely hated the blades. Thought they were dull and irritated the hell out of my skin.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

I shave my cheeks and a little bit of my throat with warm water and and a Walmart brand razor that's it every morning.

I will never ever not have a beard ever again.

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:08 pm

hipster

Willie Kool

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 pm

I don't trust any other razor.
Trac II 4 lyfe

Shyster

Shaving and Grooming

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm

I dunno...I hate giving my money to Gillette, but I don't trust any other razor. My wife got me a membership to DSC for my birthday one year, and I absolutely hated the blades. Thought they were dull and irritated the hell out of my skin.
Well, for the Leaf you can use whatever brand of double-edge blades you want to, and there are many brands to choose from. Same goes for any razor that uses disposable double-edge blades. If you don't like the way a certain brand/model of blade is performing, there are many other options to try.

LITT

Shaving and Grooming

Postby LITT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

got a shaving kit from black ship grooming company for christmas: https://blackshipgroomingco.com/

the shaving soap is the best i have used. excellent lather and aroma. would recommend.