Weather Thread

blackjack68

Weather Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 am

I am on the only direct flight into Pittsburgh at 1:30pm today. Got stuck in Philly last night after having to connect here since Charlotte canceled my flight to Pittsburgh. I'm hoping the snow holds out but am worried I'll have to spend another night here.

This has been an awful trip.
If you get stuck again, I’m 20 minutes away and up for a beer once I get done plow duty.

But it looks like this storm is tame enough that you’ll get out today.

dodint

Weather Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Clear blue sky here all day in beautiful Allison Park.

Morkle

Weather Thread

Postby Morkle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Made it home late. Cleared up around Somerset.

shafnutz05

Weather Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:37 pm

It was a delayed onset, but really nice snow today. Still coming down, sitting probably about 3.5" now. Beautiful outside. Took a while to stick on roads but it sure is now.

willeyeam

Weather Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm

It's been nice in Buffalo

Sam's Drunk Dog

Weather Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37 pm

We definitely got a lot of snow here. Even the main roads aren't in the best shape

Gaucho

Weather Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 am

shoeshine boy

Weather Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am

My friend in Atlanta says it snowing there now.
true story. we only had about 2" of snow at my house in Decatur (just east of downtown) but friends on the West and Northwest side of town got hit with 6-8 inches of snow. the main difference between this and most other Winter storms we get is that this was pretty much pure snow rather than the snow/ice mixture that we usually get. it also didn't get cold enough to freeze until early Saturday morning.

willeyeam

Weather Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 am

It's been nice in Buffalo
the drive back was not nice

Willie Kool

Weather Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Lake Effect Snow Warning for Southern Erie County, Pennsylvania
Issuing Office: Cleveland
Source: National.Weather.Service
1:42pm EST, Mon Dec 11

... LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT... * WHAT... HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW EXPECTED. TRAVEL WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 16 INCHES ARE EXPECTED, WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE. * WHERE... SOUTHERN ERIE AND CRAWFORD COUNTIES. * WHEN... FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS... NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING AS HIGH AS 30 MPH WILL CAUSE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. BE PREPARED FOR NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS IN SNOW BANDS. WIND CHILLS WILL FALL TO NEAR ZERO TUESDAY NIGHT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD, AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. THE LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION WEB SITE.

More Information
... WIDESPREAD SNOW TONIGHT FOLLOWED BY HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY... .A CLIPPER SYSTEM WILL TRACK ACROSS THE LOWER LAKES TONIGHT ACCOMPANIED BY LIGHT SNOW. LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING. SNOW WILL PICK UP IN INTENSITY BEFORE THE MORNING RUSH HOUR TUESDAY, CONTINUING THROUGH THE MORNING. THERE MAY BE A RELATIVE LULL IN INTENSITY TUESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON BEFORE THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ORGANIZES FOR TUESDAY LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY. HEAVY BURSTS OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE WITHIN WELL-DEVELOPED LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS. THE HIGHEST SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST OHIO. LOCATIONS UNDER THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY WILL STILL RECEIVE BURSTS OF HEAVY SNOW. THIS MAY LEAD TO THE NEED FOR A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING. WINDS BEHIND THE CLIPPER WILL SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH ON TUESDAY. THIS WILL DEVELOP LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS THAT REACH WELL INLAND. THE WINDS WILL ALSO LEAD TO AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY TUESDAY REACHING THE TEENS BY LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. WIND CHILLS WILL BE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS.

shafnutz05

Weather Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Ahh...December. It's lake effect snow season.

Willie Kool

Weather Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Ahh...December. It's lake effect snow season.
If you left now, you could still make it... I have extra shovels...

I pulled up the last of the solar lights and started the snowblower again. Brought the roof rake up from the basement. Insulated jeans, boots, and wool long underwear are laid out. Even stopped at the store on the way home for milk and bread. :lol:

I think I'm about as prepared as I can be...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Weather Thread

Postby meow » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 am

Mmm. Milk sandwiches

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 am

I've got a plow for my lawnmower and I am ready for all the snow.

robbiestoupe

Weather Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:37 am

My boss is travelling to Erie today. Don't know why he risked it.

DigitalGypsy66

Weather Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 am

My dad was telling me about how way back in the 80s, after two miserable years of record snowfall in Massachusetts, he went out and bought an expensive gas snow blower. It didn't snow enough to use it the last two years we were there. :lol: They sold it when we moved to Pittsburgh, and ended up getting pounded the first two years we were there. Bought another one, used it about three times, and then we moved to SC...Pretty DG66 family typical.

Morkle

Weather Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am

I am in that boat right now. I have a big driveway now and bought a snowblower. I used it once when there were 2 inches of snow because I was pissed that I haven't been able to use it yet. That being said if the investment for was $600 for it to not snow, then I've paid my dues.

shafnutz05

Weather Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I am in that boat right now. I have a big driveway now and bought a snowblower. I used it once when there were 2 inches of snow because I was pissed that I haven't been able to use it yet. That being said if the investment for was $600 for it to not snow, then I've paid my dues.
That's where I'm at...I bought a Cub Cadet when Home Depot had one of their 0% APR through 12 months deals, a couple of months ago. It's a damn nice snowblower, and I'll probably lose it if there's any more than 2" in the driveway. This past snowfall, we had 5.5" in the grass but it barely stuck to the driveway...naturally :lol:

dodint

Weather Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I have an electric plug in snowblower that I like. Worked fine in Wisconsin if I kept up with the falling snow. My problem at the new house is that the driveway is fairly steep and I think it's going to be a giant pain in the ass if it gets slippery. I might end up paying the guy that does all of my neighbors lawns to do the snow removal. I'm not sure how that works when you have a retaining wall that goes up the driveway on both sides.

Morkle

Weather Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm

That's where I'm at...I bought a Cub Cadet when Home Depot had one of their 0% APR through 12 months deals, a couple of months ago. It's a damn nice snowblower, and I'll probably lose it if there's any more than 2" in the driveway. This past snowfall, we had 5.5" in the grass but it barely stuck to the driveway...naturally :lol:
Tomorrow seems like it might be prime time for me - we're "supposed" to get 3-5 inches. Maybe I'll get to bust it out for the second time in three winters.

Viva la Ben

Weather Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 pm

All the forecasts for Pittsburgh I’ve seen say 1-3 inches wed night.

shafnutz05

Weather Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm

It's all about the timing of the snow. For light to moderate snowfalls, if it falls through the peak of the day, you just won't get a lot of stickage on the roads unless it is REALLY cold. The sun angle, even though it is quite low this time of year, still has an impact.

Morkle

Weather Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm

All the forecasts for Pittsburgh I’ve seen say 1-3 inches wed night.
Probably more accurate, mine is showing 2-4 from 4PM on Wednesday night.

Viva la Ben

Weather Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:57 pm

I adjusted my schedule to go as far as new castle today and it wasn’t really bad out. Looks like they were right on about today... >1”

MR25

Weather Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm already sick of snow