Weather Thread

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am

Can confirm, cheap rock salt doesn't work when it is brick.

I salted my sidewalk with a bag of Morton's the day after Christmas, and the ice just laughed at me.

dodint

Weather Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

My wife wanted to learn how to use the snowblower today. In case I'm out of town on business she can dig herself out of the driveway. Feels weird just sitting here at my desk listening to her work. :lol:

She has a box coming from Thirty-One today which may also plays a part in this, she's scared the UPS guy won't walk up virgin snow to get to the porch.

I shoveled the walk at least.

robbiestoupe

Weather Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Source of the post he's scared the UPS guy won't walk up virgin snow
You laugh, but I had a package that was supposed to come Saturday get delayed. I'm pretty sure it was because the UPS guy didn't want to get his awesome brown pants cuffs wet.

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 pm

You laugh, but I had a package that was supposed to come Saturday get delayed. I'm pretty sure it was because the UPS guy didn't want to get his awesome brown pants cuffs wet.
USPS lady in our neighborhood is a trooper. Our sidewalk was buried, so she just cruised right through the grass and onto our front porch.

robbiestoupe

Weather Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Our USPS guy is a wuss. If there's a car parked in front of our mailbox, he won't deliver the mail. It's like his gluteus is stapled to the seat.

Funny thing is, since UPS cancelled the Saturday shipment, they offloaded the work to USPS who delivered it on Sunday. Go figure.

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Whoever delivers packages in our 'hood from the USPS on Sundays is a dick, and we've had to call and complain twice. Our mailboxes are all on one side of the street (opposite our house) and he/she was leaving packages on the stand between the neighbors and ours, instead of walking them to our porch.

Viva la Ben

Weather Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

According to the 5 day forecast all this snow should be gone and melted Sunday.

robbiestoupe

Weather Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Whoever delivers packages in our 'hood from the USPS on Sundays is a dick, and we've had to call and complain twice. Our mailboxes are all on one side of the street (opposite our house) and he/she was leaving packages on the stand between the neighbors and ours, instead of walking them to our porch.
Given our proximity, perhaps he's one and the same.

Morkle

Weather Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Apparently Peduto got wind that we're pissed.
"The City clearly needs to do a much better job addressing snow and ice on streets across Pittsburgh. Our workers did their best, working around the clock for days, but we need to give them and our residents the tools to provide better service and support in the future.

My administration will immediately take four actions to address this situation.

First, we will invest in more road salt and liquid calcium chloride, and study ways to improve the chemical composition of the ice-fighting materials that the Department of Public Works is placing on roadways. Most streets throughout the city were treated with salt and chemicals this past weekend but due to low temperatures and other factors the materials did not clear streets nearly well enough.

Second, we will work with our Department of Innovation and Performance to increase our public presence on nights and weekends and ensure that resident complaints are efficiently received, responded to, and routed to the appropriate City officials.

Third, my administration will meet with DPW partners to explore ways to get more drivers onto streets, particularly on weekends, nights and holidays similar to last weekend. Our employees performed at their best the last four days – working back to back 12-hour shifts responding to a nightmare scenario of rain, freezing rain, snow and ice – but we need to find new ways to send more of them onto the streets and provide Pittsburgh residents the services they deserve.

Finally, we will issue a request for proposals for a redesign of our snow removal routes to make sure they are being addressed in the smartest, most efficient and most productive manner.”
http://pittsburghpa.gov/press-releases/ ... ml?id=1385
Peduto hasn't seen a situation yet where he can't release a stupid PR about it.

tifosi77

Weather Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Do not get me started on delivery policies for USPS carriers.

DigitalGypsy66

Weather Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm

We get excellent service from our USPS driver - we give her a gift card to a local coffee shop each Christmas. Those two things must be correlated.

robbiestoupe

Weather Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

live feed from tif's basement:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Weather Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:31 pm

The longtimers that are union will literally fight for every inch if it doesn't fall within guidelines.

I have a story from when I was doing RCA sub-carrier work on the side that involves one old union carrier holding somebody's mail because their mailbox was three inches too low. Like the lady actually got out of the car, measured from ground to the bottom of the box, wrote up a slip saying she won't deliver until it was corrected, and held their mail for a week until they corrected it.

I subbed in on her route on a Saturday and had no idea what was going on or why several days worth of mail was in the office without any type of hold notice from the customer, so I delivered it. She ended up literally yelling at me because i delivered the person's mail.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Weather Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Apparently Peduto got wind that we're pissed.
"The City clearly needs to do a much better job addressing snow and ice on streets across Pittsburgh. Our workers did their best, working around the clock for days, but we need to give them and our residents the tools to provide better service and support in the future.

My administration will immediately take four actions to address this situation.

First, we will invest in more road salt and liquid calcium chloride, and study ways to improve the chemical composition of the ice-fighting materials that the Department of Public Works is placing on roadways. Most streets throughout the city were treated with salt and chemicals this past weekend but due to low temperatures and other factors the materials did not clear streets nearly well enough.

Second, we will work with our Department of Innovation and Performance to increase our public presence on nights and weekends and ensure that resident complaints are efficiently received, responded to, and routed to the appropriate City officials.

Third, my administration will meet with DPW partners to explore ways to get more drivers onto streets, particularly on weekends, nights and holidays similar to last weekend. Our employees performed at their best the last four days – working back to back 12-hour shifts responding to a nightmare scenario of rain, freezing rain, snow and ice – but we need to find new ways to send more of them onto the streets and provide Pittsburgh residents the services they deserve.

Finally, we will issue a request for proposals for a redesign of our snow removal routes to make sure they are being addressed in the smartest, most efficient and most productive manner.”
http://pittsburghpa.gov/press-releases/ ... ml?id=1385
Peduto hasn't seen a situation yet where he can't release a stupid PR about it.
Bike lanes must not have been cleared.

tifosi77

Weather Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 pm

The longtimers that are union will literally fight for every inch if it doesn't fall within guidelines.

I have a story from when I was doing RCA sub-carrier work on the side that involves one old union carrier holding somebody's mail because their mailbox was three inches too low. Like the lady actually got out of the car, measured from ground to the bottom of the box, wrote up a slip saying she won't deliver until it was corrected, and held their mail for a week until they corrected it.

I subbed in on her route on a Saturday and had no idea what was going on or why several days worth of mail was in the office without any type of hold notice from the customer, so I delivered it. She ended up literally yelling at me because i delivered the person's mail.
We lived on the second floor of an apartment, and the mailbox was at ground level. One day, we noticed the rain cover thing had broken and was no longer attached. So I moved the box up four stairs to the landing, where it was under cover. They stopped our mail without notice or explanation. After a week or so of no mail and not knowing why, I went to post office where the postmaster explained to me that each step a letter carrier takes is calculated and cannot be altered without permission. I said, "I moved it four steps," and the PM said, "Actually, you moved it eight: Four up, four down."

:|

That's the closest I've ever come to committing assault. All the more frustrating because I had to put the replacement mailbox back in the original location in order to have service restored.

MR25

Weather Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Peduto is a **** liar.

Forbes and Fifth were completely untouched. It's not like they had all day to.put down salt.

nocera

Weather Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

This was my absolute worst commute home I’ve ever had in my life. Left Cranberry at 5:30. Google told me it would take an hour and 50 minutes to get to the east side if I went 279. Rerouted to the turnpike and it still took an hour and a half. Turnpike was completely clear but as soon as I got on the parkway it was an absolute mess. Completely covered. The city needs to get its **** together

dodint

Weather Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Rt. 8 was also untouched. Didn't stop dadholes from blocking traffic to make now-impossible lefts across traffic though.

mac5155

Weather Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

So what is the official forecast today? I've seen things all over the map.
Try zooming in.
POTD :lol:

mac5155

Weather Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 pm

USPS lady in our neighborhood is a trooper. Our sidewalk was buried, so she just cruised right through the grass and onto our front porch.
We have a barcode checkpoint thing on our mailbox which makes my life easier as they have to come up to scan it. Lol

mac5155

Weather Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Left Robinson at 520 and got home at 750. Got stuck on the back road to the house. Spun my wheels a decent bit before turning around... Now my car is making a nice screeching sound. I'm thinking either wheel bearing or something. I just replaced both CVs

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Took me maybe ten minutes longer than usual. Would have been normal commute time if people weren't terrified to drive down Peebles.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Weather Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 am

Took me maybe ten minutes longer than usual. Would have been normal commute time if people weren't terrified to drive down Peebles.
as a corollary to this, i observed two accidents of people barreling down cumberland between mccandless crossing and NAI and saw a third incident of a car driving in to a yard by northland library. i would prefer people be cautious and realize that all wheel drive doesnt mean all wheel stop and cause you an extra ten minute commute

willeyeam

Weather Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:05 am

-88.6 degrees in Russia at least we aren't there

Silentom

Weather Thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am

as a corollary to this, i observed two accidents of people barreling down cumberland between mccandless crossing and NAI and saw a third incident of a car driving in to a yard by northland library. i would prefer people be cautious and realize that all wheel drive doesnt mean all wheel stop and cause you an extra ten minute commute
I agree, I was just putting my two cents in on the whole "terribad commute". It's amazing how bad the roads in McCandless were, though. The moment it changed from McCandless to Hampton on Ferguson Rd, the difference was night and day. The roads were just wet in Hampton.