dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:07 pm

I am a firm believer in the 'kitchen table test'..... play the song like you're sitting at the kitchen table with just your voice and an acoustic guitar (or vox+piano, depending on your kitchen); if it sounds good there, it's a good song. While 99% of TS's music isn't my cup of tea, nearly everything of hers I've ever heard would pass the kitchen table test. She's a good songwriter...... it's all the non-kitchen tabley stuff that I don't care for.
Daft Punk hates this one simple trick...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:32 pm

I had no idea TS was so popular with 5AF posters.
My wife really wants to go but let's not act like Folklore isn't great.
:fist:

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:52 pm

We snagged some seats in 533 for the Friday show. Really pumped

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:39 am

So, I did trips with both my boys when they were in High School, took my oldest to a CS:GO tournament in Brooklyn my younger to see Man City play in the International Champions Cup in Chicago. We flew to both, first class on the Chicago trip, the works. For my trip with my daughter, thinking about going to see Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks at Ohio Stadium next August. Apparently they plan to add 5-7 more shows but I'd have a hard time believing they will be in Pittsburgh or anywhere closer than Columbus. She'd be disappointed we wouldn't fly but next to the aforementioned Taylor Swift, she freaking loves Stevie Nicks and likes Billy Joel.

I think I'm gonna do it then maybe fly somewhere with her some other time. The other shows right now are at SoFi, Jerry World and Nashville. Maybe could go to the Nashville show and see the Opry too. She's not a country fan but if you like music you gotta do it sometime.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:18 am

My wife got concert fever and now she wants to go to Lizzo also. The good news is the process to get those tickets was much less stressful. I guess it's thick-thirty, ya'll.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:21 am

"My wife"... sure, sure.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:31 am

Bad dodint o'clock for nocera

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 am

I would go see Lizzo she probably puts on a great show. She writes some catchy music too.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:17 am

Just blame it on the juice, nocera

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:18 am

When I bought Wimbledon tickets, I learned that they do not allow resale at all. If you bought tickets and cannot go, your only option is to refund the tickets, which puts them back on general sale at face value. That’s how I got front row tickets for 100 pounds each. The event experience (concerts, sports, etc) would be so much better if we killed the resale industry.

The other cool thing Wimbledon does is if you have to leave early, you drop your ticket off at the gate and that ticket then gets put into the resale kiosk. People who have grounds passes can buy your seat at center court (or another ticketed court) at a large discount. That extra money goes to the Wimbledon Foundation charity.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:40 am

When I bought Wimbledon tickets, I learned that they do not allow resale at all. If you bought tickets and cannot go, your only option is to refund the tickets, which puts them back on general sale at face value. That’s how I got front row tickets for 100 pounds each. The event experience (concerts, sports, etc) would be so much better if we killed the resale industry.

The other cool thing Wimbledon does is if you have to leave early, you drop your ticket off at the gate and that ticket then gets put into the resale kiosk. People who have grounds passes can buy your seat at center court (or another ticketed court) at a large discount. That extra money goes to the Wimbledon Foundation charity.
By and large that's how European soccer is. Tickets are purchased through the club and linked to your member ID, most clubs limit you to one ticket per ID so everyone needs their own membership, resale goes through the club at the face value price, and to purchase tickets to away matches you (generally) need to be a member in good standing to be awarded tickets through the club's allotment. Bundesliga is even more extreme with cost controls that keep things affordable. It's all a hell of a lot better than the ticket broker price gouging that goes on here.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:41 am

My daughter learning hard lesson on Ticketmaster fees:

"I don't have to pay you back for the fees, just the ticket, right?"
"No, Taylor charged me a fee, so I charge you the fee."
"Taylor didn't charge the fee, Ticketmaster did! She wouldn't charge a fee! She loves her fans"
"Taylor could have found a way other than Ticketmaster to sell tickets for her shows so her fans didn't have to pay a $40 a ticket fee!"

It stopped there, I didn't want to dump on her hero any more than necessary.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:43 am

We use to wait until after puck drop to get Chiefs tickets. Once the game started tickets were like half off, and the arena is so small you'd only miss like 2 minutes of play before getting to your seats. (Of course, that was the old East Coast League, so 2 minutes might have been a fight and a stick major, but whatevs) Prices were already cheap, but that would bring the cost down below going to see a movie. Totally the same thing as Wimbledon.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:45 am

If artists had an option, I think 95% of them would take it. By and large, they do not.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:46 am

Or, just walk in and ignore the ticket takers like I did at my son's middle school basketball scrimmage. :lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:13 pm

And knowing TSwift would sell out all her shows two times over, Ticketmaster has no pressure to improve the experience. You don't want to pay my fees or put up with bogus queues that freeze for hours? So what, there's plenty of people that love her enough and will.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:33 pm

We use to wait until after puck drop to get Chiefs tickets. Once the game started tickets were like half off, and the arena is so small you'd only miss like 2 minutes of play before getting to your seats. (Of course, that was the old East Coast League, so 2 minutes might have been a fight and a stick major, but whatevs)
the real pros used the side doors behind sections 20-21 and 7-8. Usually the doors were left cracked open due to the smokers who needed a quick heater between periods, or there were always friends who would get in the game and open the door.

I mean I only heard of people doing this and a broke high school student like myself would never, ever do such a thing.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:35 pm

I bought all my gear at the pro shop there, I didn't wanna risk getting banned from the venue. :lol:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:13 pm

I only bought $10 Titans out of the stick can.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:34 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Holy ****. That's insane. They didn't set aside tickets for general sale?

I don't understand how they were unaware of the demand. You sent out the codes, ticketmaster. Apparently you sent out more codes than you had tickets? Good job.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:59 pm

This wasn't a normal case of shows selling out quickly, or 'high demand'. They had 3.5 billion hits on the their ticket system, apparently including a disproportionate number of people who didn't actually have presale codes but decided to try things out. Everyone single ticket sold went to a buyer with a 'Verified Fan' code, whatever the heck that means.

Demand was so high T-Sizz would have to perform 3+ stadium shows a day every day without break for 2+ years to satisfy every ticket request.

Ticketmaster is still as evil as empires get, but this is a really crazy circumstance that I'm not entirely sure could've been averted by more competition. Ticketmaster can't increase venue seating capacity.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:06 pm

Source of the post They had 3.5 billion hits on the their ticket system, apparently including a disproportionate number of people who didn't actually have presale codes but decided to try things out.
That's Ticketmaster's fault. You should've had to enter your presale code to get into the queue, not when you're about to buy the tickets. And it's their fault for apparently giving out more presale codes than tickets available (I've seen people who had codes not have any seats to choose from once they finally got in).

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:10 pm

And by the way, I bought 4 tickets and spent $152 in just service fees.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:21 pm

AFAIK you can't generally get into a presale without a code (in this case I think the codes were distro'd via SMS); shopping cart codes and the like are usually for discounts, not access. They're not going to let accounts into that the actual ticketing part the system who can't transact. But even if they come to TM.com and are blocked by the code gate, it's still web traffic that gums up the site.