dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Aren't they installing a new scoreboard before next season?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 18, 2023 3:37 pm

No. Everyone has a phone so who really needs a scoreboard anyway?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri May 19, 2023 7:02 pm

No Dropkick Murphys at Stage AE this year. They’ll be in Johnstown this October.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 22, 2023 9:16 am

Wow can't believe they're still around. Saw them in...1998 maybe? up at Mercyhurst. They opened for Mighty Mighty Bosstones along with Bim Ska la Bim. Fun concert.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 22, 2023 9:36 am

The departed song has given them two very different phases

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon May 22, 2023 10:08 am

Wow can't believe they're still around. Saw them in...1998 maybe? up at Mercyhurst. They opened for Mighty Mighty Bosstones along with Bim Ska la Bim. Fun concert.
Bim Skala Bim.

Now that's a name that I haven't heard in many years. Possibly since 1998.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon May 22, 2023 10:10 am

Looks like they went on hiatus in 2002, reunited in 2013, and put out new material in 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bim_Skala_Bim

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 22, 2023 10:21 am

Looks like they went on hiatus in 2002, reunited in 2013, and put out new material in 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bim_Skala_Bim
Oh, nice. So it was 1997. I was close. It was a pretty remarkable trip. Right around winter break, buddy and I drive up there in his Geo Prism and, being college students, broke ass poor. He had like a 1/4 gallon of gas in the tank, and we may have just watched the Seinfeld episode where Kramer drives as far as he can before running out of gas. It was below E for 10 miles at least yet we made it.

We stayed at his GF's place that night and pretty sure they broke up the next day or something :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 24, 2023 11:41 am

Heading out to see Cheap Trick at AMT tonight. Great venue and pretty excited to catch them live.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:54 pm

Chappelle was a really weird show. The vibes felt off from the start. People were pissed about locking their phones in a pouch, the show started late, there were sound issues all night and apparently the front rows had a weird echo and the upper bowl couldn’t hear at all. Luckily we could hear fine in the 100s but the sound issues threw off the rhythm for sure. Dave had funny bits but just as much seemed to fall pretty flat. I don’t know if it was the vibes, the sound, or the material but it just wasn’t a great night. On top of that, he only did 40 minutes max.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:10 pm

**** those cases. i waited almost a half hour to get my phone unlocked and was still nowhere near the front of the line when i walked out the side with my case still closed. ended up taking a drill to the locking mechanism and almost lost a damn finger when the drill jumped. lol oops.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:22 pm

I loved the Burr show I attended with those pouches, but I barely waited to get mine unlocked

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:28 pm

It was poor planning at Chappelle. There was only one exit that had people unlocking the cases. As you know, PPG has multiple stairwells with direct exits to 5th and Center Ave, along with the few main entrance gates. Everybody who went out those direct exits (myself included) had to then fight upstream to one of the main gates to get their phones unlocked. In hindsight, I should’ve taken the iamjs route.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:20 am

I am having a hard time grappling with the idea of surrending my mobile phone for the night to see a stand up.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:44 am

I am having a hard time grappling with the idea of surrending my mobile phone for the night to see a stand up.
Same.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:07 am

I thought that was standard practice for touring comedians playing theaters and arenas, but I was surprised to see Nate Bargatze didn't use a pouch. I get wanting to keep the act from getting out on social media, but it is weird giving up your phone.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:10 am

I understand the thought process behind it but it really did hurt the experience. During the first set I felt my phone getting a lot of notifications. By the time I unlocked it and was checking messages I found out that my dad had spent a few hours in the hospital. It ended up being dehydration so he’s fine but imagine if it was a true emergency. We don’t have children but I’m sure not having immediate access to your phone is unnerving for parents when they’re out without their kids.

A better solution would be to have ushers/tour employees monitoring each section for phone use. Or just not giving a **** if your precious material leaks online before your next special. I won’t be attending another event that requires the locked pouch.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:15 am

I am sorry to hear about your Dad, nocera, glad he's doing well. The Bargatze show my wife and I attended was two hours from home - and we had left our teenagers at home alone. I am very glad we could use our phones, but didn't need to. I would have been anxious the entire time, which would've ruined the show.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:25 am

Pretty crazy how our world has evolved. Sometimes I think about how we functioned as a society pre-phone.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 am

I understand the thought process behind it but it really did hurt the experience. During the first set I felt my phone getting a lot of notifications. By the time I unlocked it and was checking messages I found out that my dad had spent a few hours in the hospital. It ended up being dehydration so he’s fine but imagine if it was a true emergency. We don’t have children but I’m sure not having immediate access to your phone is unnerving for parents when they’re out without their kids.

A better solution would be to have ushers/tour employees monitoring each section for phone use. Or just not giving a **** if your precious material leaks online before your next special. I won’t be attending another event that requires the locked pouch.
That's what they did at the Steely Dan show at the Benedum. When they saw a phone light up, they were shining a flashlight in that person's face within 10 seconds. I'm sure it's simpler in a 3000 seat theatre than an 18,000 seat arena but still...

On the flip side, humanity survived for millenia without people knowing what was going on at home every second they were gone. It will be ok.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:23 am

Yeah I get that too. Most of the time, it’ll be okay. Originally I mentioned the locked pouches as just another example of why the show was lackluster. Even ignoring my situation where I had a family matter that made me regret not having access to my phone, every person I talked to at the arena mentioned the pouches and being pissed about being locked out of their phones. It’s part of what created the weird vibe in the crowd. That, mixed with the late start, the audio problems, the recent political controversy with Chappelle, and the incredibly short set all came together to create a really weird experience.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't super serious with your dad. There's just no amount of justification for that kind of bullshit at a ticketed event. I am outraged - outraged! - on your behalf.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:14 pm

Wow, yeah that would really upset me too @nocera. I get your POV and hope your dad is okay

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:49 pm

I appreciate the well wishes fellas. He seems to be doing well and hopefully he now understands that he needs to drink more damn water.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:54 pm

Apparently people trying to see Dead and Co at Star Lake tonight were stuck in over 3 hours of traffic trying to get into the venue. Some people bailed.

I really wanted to see Phish there next month, but I want nothing to do with that traffic situation. What a nightmare.