dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:30 am

Hamilton is doing a two-week run in Charleston this summer. Need to go see that, if possible.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:16 am

First big indoor concert in a couple years next week with Jukebox the Ghost at Mr. Smalls. Fun piano-pop trio, looking forward to it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:21 pm

We went to see Hamilton wrap up its LA run yesterday afternoon. No special guests or acknowledgments of the crazy COVID stuff afterwards, no thank you to the city. I specifically note 'after' because despite a dozen or so emails over the last 4 months reminding us of the show, we ended up getting there an hour late, and missed any pre-show stuff there may have been. We were walking down the aisle to our seats during King George's admonishment against photography, and we were physically in the process of sitting down when Burr came out to start the show.

But seriously, I feel like I could see that thing every day for a thousand days in a row and not get tired of it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:47 pm

I always scratch my head at why Hamilton is considered such a liberal piece of art.
Never mind the generalities of "Broadway musical", the particulars are fairly stout:

Written by the son if an immigrant who is a lifelong political consultant to the DNC (was on Ed Koch's staff or campaigns iirc); the hero of the show is an immigrant who advocated for centralized government, and the Bad Guys are the dude we know from the outset who kills the immigrant and Thomas Jefferson and James Madison; the show goes out of its way to cast 'immigrant' as innately good, while the Bad Guys constantly use the term as a slur; the fawning of the work by D politicos, and openly non-R-friendly posture of most of the original cast; A. Ham is portrayed as a pro-government guy whose driving force is getting government to handle debt, while sort of glossing over the immense role he played in getting things like modern securities trading up and running.............

That said, the show has generally found favor across the political spectrum. A thing doesn't become that ingrained in pop culture if it only appeals to a segment.

I am an unabashed fan of the show and think it is the greatest piece of art in American history. But the modern conceit of D-R politics is completely lost on me when watching it. I am generally aware of where they play fast and loose with reality (Martha Washington did not have a feral cat called Alexander), but that's okay; I've read the Chernow book (and his excellent Washington bio), so I feel like I'm good to go on the fact checking, and can just marvel at LMM's ability to turn a misplaced comma into a love song. The reality is the Founding Fathers were not caricatures in real life and probably wouldn't recognize modern politics.
Moved to a more appropriate location

Right, I think Hamilton the person was part liberal, part conservative in today's terms. So there's no reason why the show shouldn't garner interest from both sides.

It's just funny to me that certain people that align with a certain orange man will absolutely lose their mind if any of these catchy tunes entered their ears. Like they are being possessed by the devil himself. If it really has to do with LMM, Republicans better start turning off their TV because Hollywood is as liberal as you can get.

And to the tomcat reference, I believe that is still up in the air. Some refute it, but others say it is plausible. BTW, Chernow said it was true.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:59 am

For people who saw Hamilton: did your performance have a curtain call after the musical ended? When we saw it this weekend, it might have been my first show ever when the performance would end, everybody on the stage would take one bow - and lights go on, and the audience goes home.

I found that quite strange, because the audience seemed really into it - cheering at all the right times...

And about liberal/conservative Hamilton: regardless of who Hamilton person was, Hamilton *musical* clearly is super-liberal. But the funny thing is that (at least in Fayetteville), looking at all the huge numbers of last model Benz-es, Beemers, and Lexuses parked in the theater garage, the majority of people sitting in the $400+ seats were clearly *not* liberals - and yet they went (and I think enjoyed the show)...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:14 am

Nope they just don't do the performer group acknowledgements. Full company is already on stage for the finale, so they just line up while the stage lights are down, take their bows, acknowledge the musicians, and off they f**k.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:29 am

To my knowledge the only time Hamilton has a supplemental call is when there's a special recognition, like an actor's final performance with the company, or the Vice President-elect of the United States is in attendance and you want to flame him.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:10 pm

Nope they just don't do the performer group acknowledgements. Full company is already on stage for the finale, so they just line up while the stage lights are down, take their bows, acknowledge the musicians, and off they f**k.
Glad to see that the cast wasn't giving the audience a subtle middle finger.
Pity they don't do it. Especially the Lafayette guy would have received a massive applause (he was clearly the 2nd most popular guy in the show - which I don't think is the case outside of Fayetteville)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 04, 2022 12:09 pm

What's a good restaurant plan for attending a concert at PPG? Is the normal Pens game stuff open (setting aside the war zone discussion about that area)? This is tomorrow night, for... *sigh* ... John Mayer.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 04, 2022 12:27 pm

I’ve been dragged to three John Mayer concerts…. dude puts on a good show.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 04, 2022 12:30 pm

Yeah, I'll give him credit in that he is actually musically talented. I've been to a Phillip Phillips concert and I figure it will be an expanded version of that.

I think for food we'll just park on 6th and see what's good at Market Square.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 04, 2022 12:31 pm

I’ve been to a Philip Phillips concert too! He opened for Avril Lavigne lol.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 04, 2022 12:32 pm

He opened for Heart, in my case. Good show.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:05 pm

Sum 41 and Simple Plan still out on a good show. Felt like it was 2001 again and I was graduating highschool.

Though I'm old as **** and my back hurts from standing near the back nodding my head like an old man.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed May 04, 2022 2:50 pm

I've vaguely heard of John Mayer, but I couldn't tell you a name of any of his songs if you had a gun to my head. I've never heard of Philip Phillips.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:57 pm

John Mayer also tours (a lot) with what's left of the Grateful Dead. He's a tremendous guitar player and would've been (probably) worshipped on the level of Eddie Van Halen and Eric Clapton if he came of age in the 60s or 70s. He's in a weird place, although now he's kind of a legacy artist - he's been around almost 20 years. His trio live album is excellent fwiw.

Philip Phillips, IIRC, is an American Idol alum. Outside of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, most are never heard from again. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 04, 2022 2:57 pm

PP was an American Idol winner that never took off. I hadn't heard of him before that day but he put on a good show.

John Mayer's best performance:

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 am

Boy, that Mayer show was not for me. It's not my place to call it bad because I'm not familiar with his work, but what a boring evening.

The show started at 7:30 with a 50-minute set by a bad opening act, Alexendar 23. He looked so bored up there.
Then there was a 40-minute stage reset, Mayer didn't come out until 9pm.
All of Mayers songs sound the same; there is 'slow Mayer song' and 'upbeat Mayer song' and they're interchangeable within those groups.
He completely murdered Free Falling by Tom Petty. Just sucked all the energy out of it. It was cringey.
Not a fan of the Hendrix-ey schtick of taking a 2-3 minute break in the middle of the song to do a long-winded guitar riff that is completely out of place and sounds like the guitar is in actual pain; especially so if it's acoustic and sounds like banging the strings against tree bark. John does this every song.
His bits between the songs were pleasant. He did a little routine about bad posture that was worth a chuckle.

Just a really low-effort evening all around. My wife had fun which I don't understand because this is the second time she's seen him at PPG. Neither time did he play the song she wanted, Daughters. You'd think he'd read the room and play the song about mothers/daughters/fathers a few days before Mother's Day, but again, low effort.

I only went because her friend canceled at the last minute and I didn't want her to have to go alone.

On the plus side, the 5G in the arena is great. I remember going to Pens games 10-15 years ago and not having enough reception to stream radio. Now I can watch TV on my phone with no lag.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:23 am

Source of the post I only went because her friend canceled at the last minute and I didn't want her to have to go alone.
Her friend should now be on the **** list.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 06, 2022 10:23 am

Taking my boys to see the Deftones at the Pete next week.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:25 am

The Deftones still exist?!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:25 am

I actually think they played at the last Rolling Rock festival I went to in Latrobe, along with STP, etc.

Edit: Yep, they sure did. 2001... wow.
Last edited by NTP66 on Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am

They are still pumping out some of the best shoegaze metal on the market. The show was rescheduled from last fall. They are my age :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 am

what the **** is shoegaze metal

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 am

Taking my boys to see the Deftones at the Pete next week.
I'm tempted to go cause Gojira is opening and then bailing before Deftones haha. I mean I don't hate the Deftones, but not really my thing. Gojira would be the main reason I would go.
Last edited by skullman80 on Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.