dodint's Thread of Concerts and Public Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:22 pm

I'm happy to s**t on TM's chest, but I'm not sure this case is all on them.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:25 pm

AFAIK you can't generally get into a presale without a code (in this case I think the codes were distro'd via SMS); shopping cart codes and the like are usually for discounts, not access. They're not going to let accounts into that the actual ticketing part the system who can't transact. But even if they come to TM.com and are blocked by the code gate, it's still web traffic that gums up the site.
I'm talking about the queue, which is where most people spent most of their time (ie hours). There's no reason you should've been able to enter the queue without a presale code but that's how it was set up. It wasn't even a unique link. It was easily accessible from the main Ticketmaster site. Ticketmaster screwed the pooch here. They could've controlled demand by limiting codes and only allowing customers with a code to enter the queue.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:29 pm

I would go see Lizzo she probably puts on a great show. She writes some catchy music too.
have you taken the Lizzo ride on Peloton? it's not a hard ride but it's really fun and I'm not even a Lizzo fan. Lizzo herself shows up to ride.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:39 pm

Swifties bout to bring down Ticketmaster.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:01 pm

Nice.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:02 pm

Probably a good thing something finally is happening with TM.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:10 pm

Imagine Twitter and ticket master going away in the same month.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:17 pm

AFAIK you can't generally get into a presale without a code (in this case I think the codes were distro'd via SMS); shopping cart codes and the like are usually for discounts, not access. They're not going to let accounts into that the actual ticketing part the system who can't transact. But even if they come to TM.com and are blocked by the code gate, it's still web traffic that gums up the site.
I'm talking about the queue, which is where most people spent most of their time (ie hours). There's no reason you should've been able to enter the queue without a presale code but that's how it was set up. It wasn't even a unique link. It was easily accessible from the main Ticketmaster site. Ticketmaster screwed the pooch here. They could've controlled demand by limiting codes and only allowing customers with a code to enter the queue.
I agree. They've been selling tickets for decades, it's hard for me to believe they didn't see this coming. There should have been a link sent only to verified presale customers where you then had to enter your code immediately to enter the queue. You were able to enter the queue directly from the website even though you received a link and code via SMS.

If people got in the queue knowing they didn't have the code, their lost hours of time is on them but they broke it for the people who legit had codes. They shouldn't have even gotten in the queue.

This is 99% on TM and 1% on dumbasses who thought since they got in the queue they were going to be able to get tickets. And probably some on some number of scalpers who gamed it to sell tickets to dumbasses who will pay the value of a decent small car to get tickets for a three hour concert.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:24 pm

Or, just walk in and ignore the ticket takers like I did at my son's middle school basketball scrimmage. :lol:
Back in the olden golden days of 1994 I had an apartment for the summer three blocks from Fenway Park. They removed security from the doors after the 7th inning or so and if the game was close we'd head over and just walk in. Imagine doing that post 9/11? I still have a hard time believing it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:19 pm

Or, just walk in and ignore the ticket takers like I did at my son's middle school basketball scrimmage. :lol:
Back in the olden golden days of 1994 I had an apartment for the summer three blocks from Fenway Park. They removed security from the doors after the 7th inning or so and if the game was close we'd head over and just walk in. Imagine doing that post 9/11? I still have a hard time believing it.
I knew a guy who bought one those old Victorian houses on the North Side in the late 1980's and he'd walk over to 3 Rivers during the 7th inning watch the end of the games.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:31 pm

At the Jinjer show tonight....got a VIP meet and greet. Got some pics with the band a shirt and a signed laminate and to chat for a few.

They are all very nice and Tatiana is stunning in person. Someone must have been a jerk in the past though cause security had to tell people not to put your arms on or around her she's not your gf.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:01 am

I've never been this sore after a show in my life. In the pit for all 4 bands. I'm old.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Wife and I went to Les Miserables today at the Benedum. Really great production. I’ve seen some touring productions where the cast was clearly b-list but this cast was fantastic, especially Jean Valjean and Fantine.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:53 pm

Iconic roles are iconic for a reason. Ask Russel Crowe, and he had the benefit of post-production.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:29 pm

We were actually there yesterday for the matinee for les mis. Agreed, nocera, the cast was excellent. Not sure if you saw the same cast members or not, but Valjean, Javert, and Eponine slayed for us. Wasn't sure if I'd like the projection backdrop (the last time I saw it in person was 1994) but it was fine. Great way to spend an afternoon... fighting back tears.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:34 pm

We were actually there yesterday for the matinee for les mis. Agreed, nocera, the cast was excellent. Not sure if you saw the same cast members or not, but Valjean, Javert, and Eponine slayed for us. Wasn't sure if I'd like the projection backdrop (the last time I saw it in person was 1994) but it was fine. Great way to spend an afternoon... fighting back tears.
:thumb: I liked the backdrop but gotta admit I missed the turntable floor. I assume it’s the same cast. Eponine was definitely great as well.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:50 am

:thumb: I liked the backdrop but gotta admit I missed the turntable floor. I assume it’s the same cast. Eponine was definitely great as well.
I was there at the Saturday matinee as well. Terrific show, it's been about 15 years since I last saw it live. I was openly sobbing for about 90% of the show. It was my daughter's first time seeing it and she loved it. Pretty dang cool what they did with the screen for some scenes.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:13 pm

I was there at the Saturday matinee as well. Terrific show, it's been about 15 years since I last saw it live. I was openly sobbing for about 90% of the show. It was my daughter's first time seeing it and she loved it. Pretty dang cool what they did with the screen for some scenes.
My wife had never seen it, and was only familiar with the 'big' songs. She had been warned that it was sad. Lol.

At intermission, us and the couple we went with (two men) got up to stretch our legs. We were talking, and my wife proudly stated that she only cried a little twice to that point (Fantine business). Without missing a beat, Jack put his hand on her shoulder and said 'Oh, sweetie, you poor thing...you have no idea what you're in for. Here.' and handed her one of those travel kleenex packs. :D

She did make it til Gavroche before she totally lost it, but she used every one of the kleenexes by the end.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:30 pm

Haha, I used all of my wife's tissues. That 2nd act hit hard, at one point I looked over to my wife and said I can't see what's going on through all my tears. For whatever reason Drink With Me really got me, I completely lost it when Gavroche went over and hugged Grantaire.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:44 pm

I accidentally let a spoiler slip while I was talking to my wife during intermission. The lady next to me gave me a death glare. In fairness, the musical is 42 years old. I didn’t even consider that people still don’t know the story. Whoops

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:59 pm

The book was written in the 1860s. You are herewith absolved of all spoilery-type infractions you stand accused of by any and all such silly nincompoops.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 pm

I'm more familiar with Les Miz than any other show; I've seen it I think five times. Never tire of it..... as I'm sitting here typing it I'm getting goose bumps thinking of "Do You Hear The People Sing" and that f**king red flag. And Samantha Barks. I find that I think of her often.

The first time I saw the show, I only knew one of the early cast albums, which only had I think about half the songs, omitting the entire prologue. So I get to my seat and instead of "At The End Of The Day" the overture starts and it goes into "Work Song/Look Down" and I was like, "wtf is this". Looking back, omitting half the songs from a show that's through-sung is sort of a big deal.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 pm

I think of Samantha Barks often as well.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:15 pm

Samantha Barks' version of On My Own is **** unreal. As far as recordings go, I'm partial to the 10th anniversary concert and I know that version best. I haven't seen it on stage since I was a kid so there were a few surprises in there for me. There were some lyric changes and additions to songs that I didn't expect. Made it kind of fun but the 10th anniversary concert still is my favorite.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:09 pm

Occurs to me that we only got the 3 Taylor tickets we needed but could have bought 6. Should have bought the 6, sold the 3 for less than scalper prices, and still made out on the deal.

:face: