5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Stoosh

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Stoosh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Heading into this season and even at the onset of ACC play, I was on board with the idea of giving Stallings another year but not anymore. The sooner Pitt cuts ties with him, the better it will probably be for all parties. There's no sense in prolonging this any more. They have to find a way to deal with the buyout and move on.

I've heard the argument advanced that firing Stallings after just two years will make it too difficult to find their next coach, because the next coach will have concerns over his own security. I don't think that will be the case, provided that Lyke and Gallagher approach this with the same sort of support they've shown with Narduzzi.

I think the fan base has finally let go of the pipe-dream that is Sean Miller or even Archie Miller. I think Lyke & Gallagher can make a good, smart hire that will stabilize the program and re-energize the fan base. It's an ACC job and there is some young talent like Carr, Stevenson and Stewart that can be convinced to stay.

I do feel bad for Stallings, though not too bad because he'll be well-compensated however this shakes out. It's not his fault that Jamie went kicking and screaming into the ACC, refusing the adapt his coaching and recruiting tactics to the new conference. It's not Stallings's fault that Barnes took a coaching search for what should have been a relatively attractive opportunity for a decent pool of up-and-coming coaches and turned it into an absolute sham...a pathetically-transparent means to throw his buddy's search firm a bone. Hopefully this administration learns from that mistake.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm

At this point, it seems to me that the only real ACC players on this team are Stewart and Carr. Maybe frame as a role player and maybe brown as a project. But brown stinks. Kham Davis is a good athlete but I do not believe he has a single redeemable quality as a basketball player. Peace is averaging like 12 fouls per 40 minutes. Milligan and Boykins are so bad that they aren’t even worth complaining about. Stevenson is the most disappointing of all. He has more turnovers than 2 point field goals in conference play. Think about that: he is more likely to turn the ball over than convert a drive to the basket into points. What a disaster.

Some other salient stats:

Kham Davis has 20 free throws this season. That is the same number has Monty boykins. But Davis has played six times the number of minutes as boykins

Ryan luther still leads the team in offensive rebounds
Chukwuka also has more turnovers than field goals. So does milligan
Marcus Carr is the only guy with a positive Assist to turnover ratio in conference play
WOrst in conference in field goal percentage, 3 point percentage, turnovers, and points per game

Historically awful.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I was in favor of keeping Stallings, but they’ve shown little to no improvement in conference play. He’s in an impossible situation and I no longer thing he’s the man for the job. Don’t see how the school can afford the buyout and paying a new coach unless some boosters pony up some cash though.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am

Source of the post I do feel bad for Stallings, though not too bad because he'll be well-compensated however this shakes out. It's not his fault that Jamie went kicking and screaming into the ACC, refusing the adapt his coaching and recruiting tactics to the new conference. It's not Stallings's fault that Barnes took a coaching search for what should have been a relatively attractive opportunity for a decent pool of up-and-coming coaches and turned it into an absolute sham...a pathetically-transparent means to throw his buddy's search firm a bone. Hopefully this administration learns from that mistake.
This pretty much sums it all up. There was a puff piece on ESPN.com recently concerning Stallings. He says all the right things, but he's just not the right person for the job. If this were Pitt circa 1998, sure he may be worth a shot. But after Howland and Dixon built the program to where they were a few years ago, why make such a hire?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am

Source of the post I do feel bad for Stallings, though not too bad because he'll be well-compensated however this shakes out. It's not his fault that Jamie went kicking and screaming into the ACC, refusing the adapt his coaching and recruiting tactics to the new conference. It's not Stallings's fault that Barnes took a coaching search for what should have been a relatively attractive opportunity for a decent pool of up-and-coming coaches and turned it into an absolute sham...a pathetically-transparent means to throw his buddy's search firm a bone. Hopefully this administration learns from that mistake.
This pretty much sums it all up. There was a puff piece on ESPN.com recently concerning Stallings. He says all the right things, but he's just not the right person for the job. If this were Pitt circa 1998, sure he may be worth a shot. But after Howland and Dixon built the program to where they were a few years ago, why make such a hire?
He isn't who I would have hired and he was largley hired because Scott Barnes was a Canaan, but to kind of rationalize it they hired an experienced, decently successful coach to come in and led a decently succesful, experienced team. Unfortunately, his two best players completely rebeled against him and Jamie Dixon's oft-forgotten inability to recruit a successor to James Robinson, any forward that could play the post or rebound, or a center to fill the gap left by Steven Adams after the 12-13 season combined for a disasterous season of underachievement and momentary embarrasment. Four graduations, five transfers, and a dismissal led us to this disaster of a roster which is further inhibited by the only forward on the team, who isn't even that good, being injured.

Things have completely spiraled into pure ****, but Dixon's poor recruiting and the lack of meaningful player development meant leaner years were coming regardless of who was the coach.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Just focus on football. Not that your school is any good at it, but your days of having success in basketball are OVAH!

With that said - you Pitt fans are incredibly weak on Twitter. People like this guy below are playing Pitt fans like a fiddle and literally nobody has any rebuttal for him.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 pm

I’ll let DD sweep up that that trash...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 pm

#unrivaled

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 pm

How many different twitter accounts do you think NN operates? I bet even more than DK. The one dedicated to tweeting people about micropenii is the one he appears to be most proud of.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 pm

I bet he has more pictures of empty yellow seats saved on his phone than UPS basketball tourney appearances

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 am

Just focus on football. Not that your school is any good at it, but your days of having success in basketball are OVAH!

With that said - you Pitt fans are incredibly weak on Twitter. People like this guy below are playing Pitt fans like a fiddle and literally nobody has any rebuttal for him.
Ned will you please SHUT THE HELL UP!! I'm a PSU fan and sorry for doing this in the Pitt thread but I cannot stand this guy. He makes all of us look bad. Btw I consider Pitt a rival and its a damn shame that they won't play each other after 2019.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 am

I bet he has more pictures of empty yellow seats saved on his phone than UPS basketball tourney appearances
:lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 am

To get a feel for how bad NN is, the pitt clique actually went through the effort of pillow fighting with EPP. NN isnt even worth the energy.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Charlie partridge who is probably their best recruiter among the assistants interviewed with bama for their DL-coach job but peak is reporting that Pitt feels good about keeping him

Kenny prob cut a big check to hang on to him. Kenny, thank you.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Hopefully he stays. Would suck to lose him after one season after jettisoning a good Pitt man like Tom Sims.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm

0-15 (aka 0/15) in the ACC.
That’s impressive

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm

0-15 (aka 0/15) in the ACC.
That’s impressive
They lost by 13 points while shooting 50% and going 12 of 23 from 3-point range. The level of defensive ineptitude necessary to lose by double digits when shooting that well is downright impressive.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Bama DL coaching position being filled by Miami Hurricanes associate head coach/DL coach Craig Kuligowski, according to a release from the University of Miami's athletic department.

And in true Pitt fan fashion, without missing a beat three fellow Pitt follows on Twitter reply to the Kuligowski news by chiming in with something to the effect of, "Great. Now Miami has a DL coach opening and there's Partridge with all his recruiting ties to Florida." Ha. This is why I love Pitt fans.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Pitt football hired Paris Johnson Sr. as Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Paris Johnson Jr. (6-7, 260) is an offensive tackle at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio and is considered one of the top sophomores in the country. Currently has offers from Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Miami Fla, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Stanford and Tennessee.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Kenny prob cut a big check to hang on to him. Kenny, thank you.

When tyler palko is installed as the head coach of the super panthers, you will know who to thank

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Pitt football hired Paris Johnson Sr. as Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Paris Johnson Jr. (6-7, 260) is an offensive tackle at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio and is considered one of the top sophomores in the country. Currently has offers from Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Miami Fla, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Stanford and Tennessee.
Is Pat Narduzzi simply smarter than everyone else, or is Pat Narduzzi flouting NCAA rules on his way to building an outlaw program? Many people are talking about this, and they all say he is smarter than everyone else. Not only for this, but also because he does not recruit Wawa stick up men like some other universities who play P5 football in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

@stoosh needs to speak on this quip/zimininijac situation

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:01 am

@stoosh needs to speak on this quip/zimininijac situation
Mark Madden says:
Next coach will be ex-NFL player Sean Gilbert. His mother, Aileen Gilbert, is on Aliquippa's school board& led the anti-Zmijanac movement.
Seems completely bush league and unfair to Zmijanac.

More from Madden:

He's a school bus driver. He had a son who played for Zmijanac years ago who didn't get the right college offer, so this has been brewing ever since.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:47 am

The Zmijanac thing is mostly just sad.

A good portion of it sounds like typical school-board politics. Madden pointed out on Twitter that while Ezra Lowe was the board member who made the motion for Zmijanac's dismissal, Aileen Gilbert was the board member who seconded it. Aileen Gilbert is the mother of former Aliquippa, Pitt and NFL player Sean Gilbert. There HAVE been rumors for a more than a few years now about some dissension within the program ranks. It's not the first time I've heard Sean Gilbert's name mentioned as a desired (and apparently interested) replacement.

I know Zmijanac's policy of withholding recruiting letters during football season caused some issues. He always said he did it because he wanted the kids focused on the season and not the recruiting process, AND by maintaining that kind of control he was limiting the impact of, um...outside elements of the recruiting process (college coaches, parents, etc.) that could quickly get out of hand. I get that. However, it rubbed kids and a lot of parents the wrong way and I can understand that, too. Kaezon Pugh's dad spoke out it a few years ago, arguing that it wasn't entirely Zmijanac's responsibility to determine what was best for each kid and he was limiting potential opportunities for them.

The comments made by Lowe post-hearing were absolutely bizarre, though, and it smacks of someone who had at least some sort of axe to grind. This is from the Trib:
“What about the kids that are on the corner now from the football team?” Lowe said. “… You use them for your glory, for your self-edification. What about their future? When do they get rewarded?”

Lowe said Zmijanac wasn’t fully invested in the college recruiting process, citing his son’s experiences from the late-1990s, and insisted that Zmijanac didn’t always distribute mail received from college coaches. But Lowe also expressed criticism that Zmijanac hadn’t played high school football himself, and that the Quips had won only one state football championship during his tenure.

“It’s been building for awhile,” Lowe said of the board’s decision. “Twenty-one years. Yeah, he’s got a nice record, but he didn’t play one down (to earn that record). He didn’t run one touchdown. He didn’t work out at none of the practices. He had all them (assistant) coaches who played in college, they were qualified to do it. He never played football. He never went to school for football. He didn’t do any of that, but he gets all the credit by using our kids to get his record to 500 wins and say he’s this great man.

“But that’s only part of it. To deal with kids, you have to deal with their whole life. Spirit, soul, body. You’ve got to deal with their lifestyle, their home life, all of that, because these kids are working their butts off to make you look good. How do they get appreciated? By throwing their letters in the garbage?”
The "self-edification" stuff rings hollow because Zmijanac never left. He could have and must have had numerous opportunities to take more lucrative jobs elsewhere but he never did. The rest of it is absurd. ONLY one state title? He wins for 21 years and the fact that he never played the game or that he wasn't active during practices is an issue? That's ridiculous.

And the comments about failing the kids after they leave the program? This is a guy who went out of his way to make sure kids in the program had meals every night. I can't even pretend to know the broken family structures that some of these kids come from, but he's their coach. He's not their parent. He's not their legal guardian. And at what point does a kid's life path become the kid's own responsibility?

That said, who knows what else was going on? Recent players apparently have taken to social media to indicate he wasn't quite the "father figure/hero of the community" that some in the local media made him out to be. Raines posted on Twitter yesterday that he found out he didn't get into the Big 33 game because his coaches didn't nominate him; whether that means Zmijanac or some other assistant coaches, I'm not sure.

Maybe there's something to this, or maybe these are just kids and parents being unreasonable and difficult. It sounds like this rift or dissension within the ranks of the program has been building for some time, but it's also not the first time I've heard the latter over the last few years, either. Maybe there's a reason why Narduzzi and his coaching staff backed off Raines and haven't really gone after Devonshire.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 am

The whole "you don't care about these kids after graduation" bit is embarrassing to even say to someone. He's probably done more to keep them off the streets until at least graduation rather than on the streets in highschool.

He's not their guardian - it's not his responsibility to father them post-graduation, even during high-school.

Sounds like this guy was a poor father himself and is projecting because his son sucks.