5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Stoosh

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Stoosh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Who was Pitt's latest recruit. There was a Pat Signal over the weekend.
Not confirmed yet, and it sounds like whoever it was has not publicly announced it. Chris Peak posted on the PL boards that it may have been DE Kaymar Mimes, who was visiting this past weekend. Still awaiting confirmation, though.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Lot of noise that this 4-star CB out KY may commit soon:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jairus-Brents-76603

23rd ranked CB in the country with offers from 25+ P5 schools.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Lot of noise that this 4-star CB out KY may commit soon:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jairus-Brents-76603

23rd ranked CB in the country with offers from 25+ P5 schools.
That would be a very nice pickup and much needed.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

A lot can happen in two weeks, but by all accounts Pitt could be in for a very solid close to this 2018 recruiting class.

It sounds like Brents is down to Pitt and Wisconsin, and Peak seems very confident that Brents is leaning towards Pitt...so much so that Peak mentioned today an announcement from Brents could come this week. I mention this because Peak typically doesn't seem to get too heavily into the prediction end of things without having some solid info from his sources. This would be a tremendous pickup for Pitt.

They're also apparently high in the running for four-star RB Mychale Salahuddin. Salahuddin is ranked the 4th best all-purpose back in the country by RIvals and 5th best by 247sports (UPS's Ricky Slade was first). Salahuddin has 22 P5 offers including Georgia, Florida, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. Pitt is in his top four along with USC, Syracuse & UNC. It was thought that Syracuse may have a slight lead for him over Pitt but Syracuse just landed Abdul Adams, a grad transfer from Oklahoma who will have two years remaining. Not sure if this helps Pitt's case, but it couldn't hurt. He's visiting Syracuse this weekend and then Pitt next weekend and that will be his last official visit, so hopefully Pitt can close with him then. Salahuddin would be another huge addition for this class if they can get him.

Pitt will also get the last official visit for four-star Ohio TE/DE Leonard Taylor. He's visited Kentucky & Louisville. He's visiting Cincy this weekend, Texas A&M next weekend and Pitt the first week of Feburary. Most schools are recruiting him as a DE, but he's asking schools for a chance to play TE as well (agreeing to move back to DE if it doesn't work). Pitt is apparently willing to give him that chance. He has a pretty incredible array of offers - 16 total from P5 schools including Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio State, UPS, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Iowa.

Two interesting kids who appear to be late-blooming, under-the-radar targets:

They appear to be the leader for ILB Kolin Demens, a three-star recruit from Detroit Country Day HS (Chris Webber's alma mater). Demens has 8 total P5 offers, among which are Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State.

There's also an interesting case of a kid named Habbakuk Baldonado, a three-star DE from Clearwater, FL. Apparently, he's from Italy but moved to Florida over the summer, so he may not have actually played much organized football until this past season (not sure of that, though). He's 6'5", 235 lbs, and mostly had FCS and group-of-five offers to start the season. He started picking up momentum late in the season and has received a ton of interest post-early signing day from Pitt, Michigan State, Oregon and Nebraska.

Finally, Pitt is also hosting Rutgers graduate transfer S Kiy Hester this weekend, and it sounds like PItt has a solid chance to add him. He's apparently also looking at Wake Forest and Boston College. It sounds like he'd have one year of eligibility left. He was a 3-year starter at Rutgers and was honorable mention All Big Ten this past season. I'd love to see him added as someone who could help bridge that gap from Whitehead to Campbell/Ford/Hamlin/Stocker or however they sort out the safety position.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Getting a RB would be awesome but if we could add the names Mychale Salahuddi and Habbakuk Baldonado to this recruiting class I will be pumped. Those are two all times right there.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am

I want Salahuddi just to hear yinzers say that name.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:32 am

thank you stoosh. I'm not all that upset that this recruiting class as it stands doesn't have any 4 star guys, so if they pick some up, it will be icing on the cake.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 am

thank you stoosh. I'm not all that upset that this recruiting class as it stands doesn't have any 4 star guys, so if they pick some up, it will be icing on the cake.
Same. I've always tended to look more at the kid's comparable offers than the star rankings, but the star rankings are what help boost the profile of the recruiting class on the "top classes" list. To see them potentially add a few legitimate four-star caliber players to this class would help a lot.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 am

FootballScoop is reporting that Pitt OL coach John Peterson will not be back for the 2018 season. They're usually very reliable when it comes to these announcements, so we'll see what happens there.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am

Dokish seems to think that it's similar to Sims last year and Narduzzi is looking to upgrade and it's not Peterson moving on. I know when he was first hired he was talked about as being a good recruiter, but don't know how effective he's been on that front. The only offensive lineman to improve during his three years was O'Neill and even he kinda regressed last year.

Edit: Some speculation that offensive quality control assistant James Patton will take over the position.

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=385

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Dokish seems to think that it's similar to Sims last year and Narduzzi is looking to upgrade and it's not Peterson moving on. I know when he was first hired he was talked about as being a good recruiter, but don't know how effective he's been on that front. The only offensive lineman to improve during his three years was O'Neill and even he kinda regressed last year.

Edit: Some speculation that offensive quality control assistant James Patton will take over the position.

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=385
Kind of the sense that I got. Much like the Conklin hire, I can't say I'm surprised or worried that this change was made. Can't say I'd be upset with Patton taking over the position, either.

I don't know how accurate this is, but 247Sports had Peterson listed as a lead recruiter for 5 kids during his Pitt tenure - Reeves, MacVittie, Van Lynn, Drexel and Brandon Ford. Reeves is far & away the highest-rated talent there and if he develops as his pedigree suggests he will, thanks Coach Peterson. MacVittie...whatever. Van Lynn, Drexel & Ford each had about 5-10 P5 offers to go with a mix of offers from Group-of-Five and FCS programs, so we'll see what the new OL coach can make of them.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:02 pm

DE Kaymar Mimes committed to Pitt last night. Mimes is listed as 6'5", 225 lbs. He was previously committed to Rutgers but didn't sign early in December. Including Pitt, he had five P5 offers (BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest and Rutgers) as well as Temple and UConn.

Interesting connection to Narduzzi, too. Mimes's older brother is Shilique Calhoun, who was a devastating DE in some of Narduzzi's defenses at MSU. Narduzzi's development of players like Calhoun while he was at MSU was one of the reasons I was most excited about his hiring at Pitt.

For whatever it's worth, too, Calhoun's Rivals ratings were nearly identical to his kid brother's.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... houn-15672

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Sidenote: There's also a good deal of speculation that Mimes was NOT the still-unconfirmed Pat Signal from this past weekend. Narduzzi was still actively recruiting Mimes through this week. Many are saying the Pat Signal may have been Brents, but he's not going to officially announce anything until the Feb 7 signing day.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Sidenote: There's also a good deal of speculation that Mimes was NOT the still-unconfirmed Pat Signal from this past weekend. Narduzzi was still actively recruiting Mimes through this week. Many are saying the Pat Signal may have been Brents, but he's not going to officially announce anything until the Feb 7 signing day.
But then why no Pat Signal for Mimes?

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

But then why no Pat Signal for Mimes?
Good point. From something I just read, Mimes is not on social media, so that may explain why there was no announcement from him via Twitter. The Pat Signal from this weekend may have in fact been for Mimes.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 pm

By every account I’ve read Brian O’Neill completely nuked his draft stock this week at the Senior Bowl. Bad technique. Poor upper body strength. Beaten with speed and power rushes. Put on his ass a couple times. Just bad bad bad.

Dud – Pittsburgh OT Brian O’Neill

I’m afraid I’m out on O’Neill. Completely. His film was ugly. His practice was ugly. His game was ugly. The only things that will change from here on out are athletic testing and measurements. We already know O’Neill is a good athlete, as he’s a former tight end. But there’s endless ugliness on this tape that no amount of upside has me interested in. I’ll let someone else try to turn him into a consistent player.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Yikes

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 pm

In that note: Brian O’Neil has...aged

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/bri ... 1712030087

I recall him writing about sports in the 80s

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 am

Chris Peak was RT'ing guys saying the opposite in my twitter timeline.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

@JDiPaola_Trib

Speaking of academicians, Pitt placed 8 football players on All-ACC Academic team. 19 in 3 years under @CoachDuzzPittFB , 2nd-highest in ACC. They are: Rafael Araujo-Lopes, Alex Bookser, Saleem Brightwell, Matt Flanagan, Seun Idowu, Jimmy Morrissey, Brian O'Neill and Ryan Winslow
Pitt also received a grad transfer commitment from Kent State OL Stefano Millin. Started every game at LT for Kent State last season. Previous season he started every game at either center or right tackle. Listed at 6'5, 305 lbs. I'd fully expect him to earn a starting spot on Pitt's current shell of a line.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Also saw where Pitt hired the defensive coordinator from Central Michigan to be their 10th assistant.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Also saw where Pitt hired the defensive coordinator from Central Michigan to be their 10th assistant.
Slight clarification to this: Collins was Central Michigan's secondary coach from 2013-16, then spent last year as their "Defensive Passing Game Coordinator". This was from the release about his hire on the Pitt website:
Collins' influence helped Central Michigan in 2017 lead the Mid-American Conference (MAC) in interceptions (19), fewest passing yards allowed (185.5 yards/game) and pass efficiency defense (108.8 rating). On a national scale, the Chippewas ranked sixth nationally in pass efficiency defense, seventh in interceptions and 20th in passing defense. FootballScoop named Collins a finalist for the 2017 Defensive Back Coach of the Year award.
Word is that he's also an excellent recruiter, so we'll see. It sounds like this could be a terrific hire.

I'm interested to see how this evolves, because there are some rumors that Ohio State is looking at current Pitt DB coach Renaldo Hill.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm

I know the MAC decently well. I think it's a great hire. He did outstanding work with their secondary.. really thought he'd be the next hot MAC head coach in the Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck footsteps

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 am

First three NLI's in.

Erick Hallett, CB out of Houston(?)
Kaymar Mimes, DE out of NJ
Stefano Millin, Grad Transfer OL out of Kent State

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 am

anyone planning on going to the event at Heinz tonight (insert bad yellow seat joke here)