5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

slappybrown

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 pm

anywho, as a sane person my take is make a good hire and all of this sht with Stallings is meaningless. I don't really care that they're playing hardball and this is just everyone jumping down the programs throat bc of the baggage that comes with being AD since Haywood. I'm willing to let it play out and I think Lyke knows what she's doing as a general matter. That doesn't mean she's going to get this right but let's see who she hires first.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Oh slappy u are just are just jealous
I honestly wonder if they know that the rest of humanity thinks they are insane people as a whole. you can know someone casually and think they're perfectly fine and then one day college or college sports come up and the person in front of you turns into a demented fundamentalist with more ideological rigidity than an ISIS commander. Gives me the willies

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Hearing rumors that Danny Nee was interviewed for the Pitt job earlier today.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 pm

anywho, as a sane person my take is make a good hire and all of this sht with Stallings is meaningless. I don't really care that they're playing hardball and this is just everyone jumping down the programs throat bc of the baggage that comes with being AD since Haywood. I'm willing to let it play out and I think Lyke knows what she's doing as a general matter. That doesn't mean she's going to get this right but let's see who she hires first.
People are scoffing like the difference between 4 and 9 mil is nothing. If she gets out of paying him the full amount, you're talking 2-3 years salary for the new coach. Make a good hire and things will be okay. It's not like they actually lost fans for good, yet.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Is this where I get to point out that Dixon was perfectly fine and his squads fell into the acceptable range of expectations?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Is this where I get to point out that Dixon was perfectly fine and his squads fell into the acceptable range of expectations?
Sure. They might have won 12 games instead of 8 with him this year.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Why should Lyke carry Barnes' baggage? She can't help what the dude before her fcked up

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 pm

People are scoffing like the difference between 4 and 9 mil is nothing. If she gets out of paying him the full amount, you're talking 2-3 years salary for the new coach. Make a good hire and things will be okay. It's not like they actually lost fans for good, yet.
Recent national champ uconn trying to beat national champion coach out of his money as well

SHOCK HORROW SHOW

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:07 pm

If Stallings won a few ACC games, even like 3, do they keep him?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 am

Yes
Absolutely agree. I think deep down the university probably would have preferred to give him more time, but this season was just so bad beyond belief that they had no choice. Everyone understood they were rebuilding, but not winning one in-conference game is inexcusable.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 am

They went through the entirety of conference play within their best player. Put Luther in the lineup and they get at least three wins.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 am

Why should Lyke carry Barnes' baggage? She can't help what the dude before her fcked up
I’m not criticizing Lyke - just the unrealistic notion that Dixon was holding the program back.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am

They went through the entirety of conference play within their best player. Put Luther in the lineup and they get at least three wins.
You are probably right. But that doesn’t excuse him for the NC state game or horrid BC implosion or the fact that only Stewart tangibly improved throughout conference play. Or that his upcoming recruiting class was uninspiring.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am

You are probably right. But that doesn’t excuse him for the NC state game or horrid BC implosion or the fact that only Stewart tangibly improved throughout conference play. Or that his upcoming recruiting class was uninspiring.
It was a two player recruiting class and one of the players is a 4 star PF who is ranked 23rd at his position. That alone makes it better than nearly every recruiting class Jamie put together.

Beyond that, I don’t disagree with you at all. I expected to see more from this team and more improvement through most of conference play. I’m fine with the firing, but believe there is a very real chance that hiring a coach outside a “top five choices” list leaves this program with a coach worse than Stallings and could gut the roster for the second season in a row and conceivably leave it further in the gutter.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:09 am

Kithkart was the 26th rated pg
Damon Wilson was ranked 15 sg
Newkirk was ranked 31st pg
Mike young 15 of

So no it does make it better than early Dixon class

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Former Ohio State HC Thad Matta is a serious candidate for the vacancy at Georgia, per multiple sources. Discussions between both sides could begin as early as today.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... twterm%5E3

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 am

I'm just laughing at pantherlair and some people on here and just based on one rumor they are writing off the whole thing as a complete f up. The media are a bunch of assclowns IMO just trying to get a statement from Pitt because they are butthurt they didn't have a press conference. Yet UConn is doing the same and USA Today just had an article this is the new way of firing a coach as rumors are other schools are going to go this route as well.

Also, the whole Sean Miller thing is coming up again. Why do Pitt fans do this to themselves.

Let the process play out. I'm sure we'll get a good coach. It probably won't be a big name like a lot expect. But I don't think it will be a Stallings type hire either. The issue is, Pitt fans are fickle and IMO don't understand the dynamics of college athletics. They treat it like professional sports. And that is one thing that hurts us.

And **** you ned.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:07 am

my man

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

The last line of NAN's post is all that is really important.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

:lol:

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am

I'm just laughing at pantherlair and some people on here and just based on one rumor they are writing off the whole thing as a complete f up. The media are a bunch of assclowns IMO just trying to get a statement from Pitt because they are butthurt they didn't have a press conference. Yet UConn is doing the same and USA Today just had an article this is the new way of firing a coach as rumors are other schools are going to go this route as well.

Also, the whole Sean Miller thing is coming up again. Why do Pitt fans do this to themselves.

Let the process play out. I'm sure we'll get a good coach. It probably won't be a big name like a lot expect. But I don't think it will be a Stallings type hire either. The issue is, Pitt fans are fickle and IMO don't understand the dynamics of college athletics. They treat it like professional sports. And that is one thing that hurts us.

And **** you ned.
Friendship ended with ulf

Now NAN is my best friend

:thumb: :fist:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 am

NAN is the best poster.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

Pitt is just an easy target now so people are piling on.

It's also easy to stand back and tell someone to buck up and pay when it's not your 9 million dollars...