5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

slappybrown

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby slappybrown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Pitt stadium and its eventual resurrection is the threshold pitt topic from which all other takes emanate imo

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Olli's father Thad has turned down the Georgia job.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Olli's father Thad has turned down the Georgia job.
Saw that. His last quote was that he felt he wouldn't be able to give what is needed to coach. Meaning he isn't healthy enough.

It's funny, the usual crew on Pantherlair wanted Maata, Miller, or Hurley or they would feel Pitt blew it.

In reality, Matta was a long shot due to health, Miller isn't leaving AZ, and Hurley has always been a lean to go to UConn. None of that Pitt can control.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Tom Crean interviewed earlier this week. I’ve always thought he was an dadhole but I’d take him in a heartbeat.

The best part of this is that on the 8th Poni declared that his (non-existent) sources told him that Crean wasn’t a candidate and had no interest in the job.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:09 am

Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr looking to transfer. Also some scuttling butt that Luther may grad transfer elsewhere.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am

To be expected I suppose

if they hire a genuinely good coach, those guys may stay. I'd prefer carr and stewart to stay, but it will be a massive rebuild with or without those two.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 am

Really hope Rhode Island loses tomorrow so Pitt can hire Hurley before he leaves town...
In addition to talented freshman Parker Stewart, seven other Pittsburgh players have asked for -- and are expected to receive -- their release on Friday to explore transfer options, multiple sources close to the basketball program told ESPN.

Sources told ESPN that senior Ryan Luther, sophomore Kene Chukwuka, and four more freshmen -- Marcus Carr, Khameron Davis, Terrell Brown and Shamiel Stevenson -- asked for permission to contact other schools on Friday afternoon. Luther will have to apply for and is expected to receive another year of eligibility.

Junior Malik Ellison, who sat out this past season after transferring from St. John's, also asked for his release. However, his situation is somewhat uncertain due to the fact that he didn't play last season after transferring.

Stewart told ESPN his primary reason for leaving was the firing of Kevin Stallings after only two seasons.

"We had a tough year, but most of the team was freshmen and we felt like we'd have a chance to improve next year," Stewart told ESPN. "We liked Coach Stallings. He was a great guy as a person, and he treated us well."

Stallings was fired after two years and a 24-41 overall record. Pittsburgh, which has yet to hire a replacement for Stallings, was 0-18 in the ACC this past season.

The players met with executive associate athletic director Chris Hoppe on Wednesday, sources told ESPN. Athletic director Heather Lyke did reach out to all of the players shortly after Stallings' dismissal, but was not in attendance for the meeting. One source said Lyke has been working to schedule individual meetings with all the players.

Pittsburgh has a standard policy in place of not allowing an undergraduate transfer to go to ACC schools or a program on next season's schedule, and one source told ESPN that those restrictions will be included in the each player's release.

The three returning players who have not asked for their release, according to sources, are junior Jared Wilson-Frame, the team's leading scorer, and reserve freshmen Samson George and Peace Ilegomah -- who combined to play just 185 minutes this past season.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 am

8 Pitt basketball players have asked for and will be given their release from the program.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ing-change

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

Corey Evans at Rivals is doing a great job putting some qualifiers on what was likely leaked to certain people knowing it would be framed to look like a shocking development regarding the transfers out of Pitt's program. Some are saying on Twitter that ESPN's Jeff Goodman breaking the report wasn't exactly coincidence, as Goodman supposedly has a history of being overly critical of Pitt in the past.

First, this was pretty much expected and it mostly follows the standard operating procedure that accompanies any coaching change.

Second, asking for a release to transfer doesn't mean all the players who do so are going to leave. Evans says on Twitter that he's been told most are going to wait to see who the new coach is before they make any decisions. Asking for the release is the first step to allow players to at least pursue other options, ahead of the new hire.

Pitt appears to have clearly identified Danny Hurley as their primary target and with reports last night that UConn is showing interest in Frank Martin from South Carolina, Pitt may in fact be a front-runner for Hurley. Some are saying on Twitter that if Hurley is hired, at least some of the current players would stay.

Honestly, I won't be surprised if most of them still decide to go and that may not be a bad thing. Only a few of these guys really seemed to project to be bonafide contributors to an ACC-level program, so it may be in the best interests of several of them to transfer down to a mid-major or something along those lines.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 am

Amen Stoosh!

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm

8 Pitt basketball players have asked for and will be given their release from the program.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ing-change
Disaster mode engaged

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Bryce Golden has asked for his release as well.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I don't understand the continued hammering by the Fan to get Sean Miller to Pitt. Arizona would have fired him already if they were planning to let him go, yes? Even with potential ramifications looming, Pitt is still a downgrade in this instance?

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Because Poni?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't understand the continued hammering by the Fan to get Sean Miller to Pitt. Arizona would have fired him already if they were planning to let him go, yes? Even with potential ramifications looming, Pitt is still a downgrade in this instance?
No one understands why the FAN does the things they do.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:26 pm

It's embarrassing.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 pm

I can't believe it was LESS THAN 3 YEARS since I posted this. I don't think I have ever seen a program decline so quickly and so much as Pitt since 2015... :evil:
The problem with the Pitt hoops job is very limited local talent for ACC-level basketball. So, despite the fact they play in the best hoops conference, have great facilities, strong student support, and a history of success over the past 15 years -- a profile which sounds like a top 25 job overall -- the recruiting piece makes it a top 40ish job overall.

I don't blame them at all for chasing someone like Miller, though.
I may be a minority here, but I really hated seeing Dixon leaving. I thought he was my only chance at seeing my Alma Mater to cultivate a truly "lifetime coach" (like Boeheim at Syracuse, etc.).

From the sentimental perspective - I liked the fact that almost every year, there were 20+ days when I would check the evening scores , and see Pitt winning. I liked that almost every year, my school made it to the final tournament where only 40 or so "good schools" can make it. And I liked the fact that the program did not have any major scandals, and Dixon himself did not appear to be an ahole. Yes, he might have underperformed during the NCAA tournaments a little bit, but my take was that if he keeps getting Pitt in, one day, due to the law of large numbers , the outlier may happen, and he could have a chance to win (say, when he is his 20-odd season and pushing 60 - like JB). For me, that's enough, especially considering that Pitt has not much of a tradition, and Pittsburgh is a lousy college town (I like the city and my Alma Mater a lot, but let's be real...).

From the rational perspective - I am statistician by training, and I don't get too emotional about games anymore, because I see them as random event where the favorite may have better odds, but very often - due to random (error) chance - the better team will not win. The only way how to minimize the effect of randomness is through repeated round-robin tournament. The fact that he made it among the best teams in the country 11(?) times in 13-14(?) season is a true sign of great performance that's way outside of any random chance. You don't chase away a coach like that, you cherish him. As far as his tournament performance - single elimination tournaments are quite unfair measures of overall quality - for example, the team with 80:20 chance to beat anybody else in the tournament of 64 will with the title only with (0.8)^6 = 26.2% chance. The high seed thus always have the expected ending round below their seed (and the low seeds have the opposite). If anything, I'd fault him for his inability to advance as a lower seed, but I am still not completely sure his "substandard performance" is bad that much outside the margin for error.

Ultimately, my life philosophy is that chasing the trailblazer outlier is stupid. Being very, very good at putting his team into an inherently unfair tournament is enough. Dixon was that...

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Amen

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I think both Jamie and Pitt had decided that it was time to see other people.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Freshman stud Parker Stewart
Is the description in the Deadspin piece I just read. Is that accurate?

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:42 pm

I thought you were Catholic and didn’t condone divorce

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm

I thought you were Catholic and didn’t condone divorce
Marriage annulled between Pitt and Jamie Dixon

New marriage is with Dan Hurley

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

You aren't wrong

Like so many pitt things, it was a good idea or at least a justifiable idea. Of course, like so many pitt things, scott barnes ran his mouth, pitt looked like idiots with old man miller bashing them in the paper, barnes running his mouth, etc etc etc with the ultimate result being stallings. and then barnes jumping ship

good grief.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Freshman stud Parker Stewart
Is the description in the Deadspin piece I just read. Is that accurate?
The fourth leading scorer and utterly useless defender on an 0-18 team is generally classified as "stud"

look, pitt doesn't need hyperbole too make itself look bad, but god damn is it irritating when the media piles on pitt with stuff like that.