5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Dickie Dunn

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Maybe Hurley will head to Stoors for an interview and realize it's a shithole devoid of anything useful or enjoyable and decide it's not for him.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Guys I know it's only March but I'm pretty excited to see Paris Ford play football

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Guys I know it's only March but I'm pretty excited to see Paris Ford play football
I’m going to nerd out and agree.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 pm

I’m going to nerd out and agree.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Pickett also seems like the real deal and is getting lots of pub.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Pitt is obviously going 14-0

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 am

as far as Pittsburgh sports goes, I'm more excited about pickett than any other young up and coming player for any of teams in town

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 am

Kicker: Blewitt
QB: Pickett

What's next? RB: Fumblit?

I'll just see my way out...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am

Embrace it.

Love it.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am

Some additional notes from Chris Peak on the first day:

1. None of the roster TEs changed positions. Grant Carrigan may eventually make the move to OT a la Brian O'Neill but nothing has been done yet. I saw some talk on the PL boards not too long ago that said Reeves may eventually make a move to OL but I can't see that happening.

2. Carson Van Lynn moved from DT to OT. Also looks like Herndon will settle in on the offensive line this year.

3. Field safety (free safety) was Therran Coleman, Damar Hamlin and Bricen Garner. Boundary (strong) safety was Phil Campbell, Dennis Briggs and Jazzee Stocker. I recall seeing a few weeks ago on PL some discussion that coaches have been really happy with Campbell's progression, and Coleman was a rangy corner who should be able to handle that transition to safety. When you factor in Ford, Dane Jackson, Mathis and Pinnock at corner, holy hell...this secondary could be loaded.

4. They may need it if the pass rush doesn't improve.

5. Peak pointed out that Anthony McKee was getting reps at Star LB behind Idowu. Good to see McKee finally starting to crack the depth chart after battling injuries for so long. Hopefully he can stay healthy. I don't expect him to supplant Idowu as the starter this year - especially if Idowu continues on the track he did through most of the second half of last season - but it would be great to have McKee start to realize his potential for 2019 when Idowu moves on.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 am

1. None of the roster TEs changed positions. Grant Carrigan may eventually make the move to OT a la Brian O'Neill but nothing has been done yet. I saw some talk on the PL boards not too long ago that said Reeves may eventually make a move to OL but I can't see that happening.

2. Carson Van Lynn moved from DT to OT. Also looks like Herndon will settle in on the offensive line this year.

3. Field safety (free safety) was Therran Coleman, Damar Hamlin and Bricen Garner. Boundary (strong) safety was Phil Campbell, Dennis Briggs and Jazzee Stocker. I recall seeing a few weeks ago on PL some discussion that coaches have been really happy with Campbell's progression, and Coleman was a rangy corner who should be able to handle that transition to safety. When you factor in Ford, Dane Jackson, Mathis and Pinnock at corner, holy hell...this secondary could be loaded.

5. Peak pointed out that Anthony McKee was getting reps at Star LB behind Idowu. Good to see McKee finally starting to crack the depth chart after battling injuries for so long. Hopefully he can stay healthy. I don't expect him to supplant Idowu as the starter this year - especially if Idowu continues on the track he did through most of the second half of last season - but it would be great to have McKee start to realize his potential for 2019 when Idowu moves on.
1.) I would hate to see a highly recruited, athletic TE like Reeves get moved to OL, especially with no TEs in this recruiting class. Reeves is now listed at 285 lbs. vs 280 lbs. on last year's roster so his size might definitely force a move.

2.) Van Lynn was recruited at 235, listed at 255 last year, and is now listed at 285. That's a pretty impressive weight gain.

3.) Six to midnight.

4.) I remain adamant that the best version of the DL is Weaver-Camp-Watts-Jones. Guys obviously rotate in and out a lot, but I hope that quartet is on the field more often than not.

5.) It'll be interesting to see how the LBs play out because there's honestly a lot of depth there, even more so if McKee can stay healthy. I like moving Pine to the outside behind Zeise because I think Reynolds is a better fit at ILB, but hate having Reynolds third on the chart behind Brightwell and Wirginis (who I'm happy to have back). Pitt has 7 LBs who I think are worthy of being on the field.

It'll also be interesting to see how the WR situation plays out. The breakdown from yesterday was apparently:

X: Mathews, Flowers, Smith
Y: RAL, Tipton, Street
Z: Ffrench, Butler-Jenkins, Shocky

RAL was the best receiver last year and lost too much playing time in favor of an underperforming Henderson and it'll be nice to have Tipton back for depth. Mathews has been a solid contributor but needs to prove he can turn his size into a downfield threat. Ffrench is extremely athletic but needs to show he's more than just a gadget play guy. The rest of the depth chart is completely unknown, but with how they talk about Shocky I'll be surprised if he's kept off the field the entire season. He's already rotating in on punt returns and I could easily see him work his way into playing time at WR this season.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am

Kicker: Blewitt
QB: Pickett

What's next? RB: Fumblit?

I'll just see my way out...
finally a (relatively) good ups post in this thread

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 am

1.) I would hate to see a highly recruited, athletic TE like Reeves get moved to OL, especially with no TEs in this recruiting class. Reeves is now listed at 285 lbs. vs 280 lbs. on last year's roster so his size might definitely force a move.

2.) Van Lynn was recruited at 235, listed at 255 last year, and is now listed at 285. That's a pretty impressive weight gain.

3.) Six to midnight.

4.) I remain adamant that the best version of the DL is Weaver-Camp-Watts-Jones. Guys obviously rotate in and out a lot, but I hope that quartet is on the field more often than not.

5.) It'll be interesting to see how the LBs play out because there's honestly a lot of depth there, even more so if McKee can stay healthy. I like moving Pine to the outside behind Zeise because I think Reynolds is a better fit at ILB, but hate having Reynolds third on the chart behind Brightwell and Wirginis (who I'm happy to have back). Pitt has 7 LBs who I think are worthy of being on the field.

It'll also be interesting to see how the WR situation plays out. The breakdown from yesterday was apparently:

X: Mathews, Flowers, Smith
Y: RAL, Tipton, Street
Z: Ffrench, Butler-Jenkins, Shocky

RAL was the best receiver last year and lost too much playing time in favor of an underperforming Henderson and it'll be nice to have Tipton back for depth. Mathews has been a solid contributor but needs to prove he can turn his size into a downfield threat. Ffrench is extremely athletic but needs to show he's more than just a gadget play guy. The rest of the depth chart is completely unknown, but with how they talk about Shocky I'll be surprised if he's kept off the field the entire season. He's already rotating in on punt returns and I could easily see him work his way into playing time at WR this season.
Qadree Henderson managed a grand total of 17(!!!!) receptions last year. Yuck.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Dickie Dunn,

RE: Reeves

I think the rumors surrounding a possible move to OL started with his weight. To perhaps start to put some of that to rest, it sounds like he was heavily involved in passing/receiving drills today, according to Chris Peak's practice notes that were posted on PL. Peak said Reeves moves incredibly well for his size and it looks like Pitt sees him as an offensive weapon.

It doesn't sound like there are any immediate plans to move him from TE.

I tend to think along the lines of what we already projected last year - if anyone makes that jump, it would likely be Carrigan. To that end, it also sounds like he's working in as a receiving option at TE so that may not be quite as definite as it was 6 or so months ago.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Reeves=Eric Green imo

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Does that Peak guy have a job?
I stay away from places like PL...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm

I can appreciate the reluctance to expose yourself to a place like PL, but my impression is he's one of the few guys in PGH media who is not insane. He has real, PG/Trib level of access and sources but is also not a drama queen. He's not miserable, but he's not a vacuous homer either. I don't know what he makes as the editor of PL.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Peak is probably the most level-headed least drama-seeking media member out there. He has good info

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Ok...wasn’t sure if he was some weirdo who stalks Pitt football for free. Thanks.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

The attendant message board is filled with loons like Kenny, however.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 am

I make salient points and successfully avoid the following horrible pitt topics:

JD/Stallings
Pitt stadium
The uniforms
Attendance/tarping/solutions to get fans going
And so forth

It’s a shame that there are so many bad takes on the hoops board, becuase the bad takes crowd out a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 am

some may say those are the best Pitt topics

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 am

Others might even say those are the only Pitt topics.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 am

I left out the topic: asinine coaching preferences for guys that would never come to pitt. for example, the post that was just made about pitt reaching out to Jason kidd