5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

slappybrown

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby slappybrown » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

That must be REALLY frustrating, to realize that for all that recruiting success, Penn State ultimately landed in a spot that's reeeeeeeeally not all that much more relevant than Pitt did this year, at least if we're talking about expectations going in, right?

But seriously, I'm really happy for you guys. Good job with the recruiting class. Maybe 2018 is the year that Jimmy Franks finally figures out how to translate all this Dominating The State into a road win against a top 25 team.
More than TWICE as many wins as Pitt. And don’t forget 33-14! Expectations though, lol...

Best case scenario for Pitt = 9 win year, Top 25 finish?
Best case scenario for PSU = 12 win year, B1G champions, playoff contender.

On average though? We’re about a 9-10 win program. Pitt is a 6-7 win program. Overachieved last year and still lost to a mediocre B1G program that we destroyed this year.

More Top 25/road wins will come with how Franklin has recruited. They’re a top tier B1G program.

Meanwhile Pitt is a middle of the road ACC program. They pick off good teams here and there, but what good is it in otherwise disappointing years?
I would say my expectation for 2019 is a 10-win season.
Sometimes what you fail to neglect is that literally every team in the ACC has the ability to pass Pitt by.

As for Penn State, the only real B1G concerns are OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU. And they’ve beaten all of those teams once in the past 2 years. And each of those programs has a weakness to PSU (downward trending coach or don’t recruit as well).
Yes, I did fail to neglect Wake Forest or Duke passing Pitt by in the next few years. Very likely to happen.

I certainly won't argue with you that the B10 is overstuffed with atrocious football in comparison to the ACC, but OSU has a "downward trending coach" or "doesn't recruit as well"? Same for Michigan? Upside recruiting for ups compared to msu is certainly higher, but Dantonio
has a great track record, and no one outside the cult would shocked if MSU finished ahead of ups next year or the year after (I'm not saying they will or won't, but I can't fail to neglect that they have the ability to do that, since, you know, they've done that many times in the very near past). I'm not sure how you've landed at ups being the unquestioned best program in the B10, particularly given OSU.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm not sure how you've landed at ups being the unquestioned best program in the B10, particularly given OSU.
I don't either.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:33 pm

People thinking that Pitt fans are not sufficiently self aware of the program's limitations, always amuses me.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm

[quote=slappybrown post_id=504897 time=1513952153 user_id=89 I'm not sure how you've landed at ups being the unquestioned best program in the B10, particularly given OSU.
I don't either.
[/quote]
I haven’t landed at this, I didn’t say that.

What I did say though is PSU is in that top tier alongside OSU (who also recruits well, but Urban has disappointed recently relative to his sky high expectations), Michigan (Harbaugh is NOT looking very good right now), MSU (I will admit I counted them out after their 3 win year, Dantonio, while a clown, can coach despite average recruiting) and Chryst (you can’t really count on anyone on that side of the B1G).

Does anyone really think any other program in the B1G will pass PSU by?

And the B1G is still one of the best conferences, but lacks depth right now. Certain programs have good coaches and may improve, just not enough to contend consistently. Maybe here and there like Iowa and NW in the recent past who are well coached, but those programs hit their ceilings and got schooled in their bowl games when they amassed double digit win years. They’re typically 6-8 win on average programs. Which isn’t bad. And Pitt should be like that I’d say.
Last edited by Nittany Ned on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 pm

People thinking that Pitt fans are not sufficiently self aware of the program's limitations, always amuses me.
How about the wealthy donors who pushed Dixon and Wannstedt out? Thanks to them, that’s the reputation you guys get.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Dixon was a mutual parting. Every year he'd flirt with leaving to work the boosters for a pay bump they would always give. On the heels of some bad recruiting classes and under-performing seasons TCU came a knockin for Dixon, the boosters weren't go to give the "please stay" pay bump, and the program's stagnation would likely prevent Dixon from working his scam in the future, so everyone agreed to move on with their lives.

Wannstedt is also not 100% performance related, though he certainly did Pitt to the fullest extent while coach of the program (that **** Cincy game). This SI article (https://www.si.com/vault/2011/03/07/106 ... le-at-pitt) was the shame of the university and highlighted that the inner workings of the program turned into a mess under Wanny. Not "cover up child rape" level of a mess, but still a mess.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:04 pm

The majority of both fan bases know exactly where they stack up... it's the nutters (nitters?) that give any fan base a bad rep.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:43 am

it's the nutters (nitters?) that give any fan base a bad rep.
Cprrect. I enjoy friendly trolling/banter as much as the next person, but you can always tell when people are doing it from a place of legitimate hatred/antipathy towards others.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:15 am

it's the nutters (nitters?) that give any fan base a bad rep.
Cprrect. I enjoy friendly trolling/banter as much as the next person, but you can always tell when people are doing it from a place of legitimate hatred/antipathy towards others.
See: Slappy Brown, Esq vs Jesse James

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:39 am

I enjoyed the Towson win last night

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Underdogs at home. Was a pretty big win actually. The non-conference record ended up much better than I expected. We’ll see how conference play goes.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:34 am

Pitt QB Kenny Pickett working 5 Step drop Progression Read Drill reading Hi/Lo Concept to Right then Reseting to Backside Dig. Kenny will be a 3 year plus starter for the Panthers. Smooth and balanced throughout drop and can make every throw.
@kennypickett10 @TEST_Football #qb https://t.co/P56L15vmcP

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Former pitt foe Taylor Heinecke in for the Houston Texans. If you recall, Isaac Bennett had a big game against ODU

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Merry f’ing Xmas :(

We gave you that one.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:22 pm

That must be REALLY frustrating, to realize that for all that recruiting success, Penn State ultimately landed in a spot that's reeeeeeeeally not all that much more relevant than Pitt did this year, at least if we're talking about expectations going in, right?

But seriously, I'm really happy for you guys. Good job with the recruiting class. Maybe 2018 is the year that Jimmy Franks finally figures out how to translate all this Dominating The State into a road win against a top 25 team.
More than TWICE as many wins as Pitt. And don’t forget 33-14! Expectations though, lol...

Best case scenario for Pitt = 9 win year, Top 25 finish?
Best case scenario for PSU = 12 win year, B1G champions, playoff contender.

On average though? We’re about a 9-10 win program. Pitt is a 6-7 win program. Overachieved last year and still lost to a mediocre B1G program that we destroyed this year.

More Top 25/road wins will come with how Franklin has recruited. They’re a top tier B1G program.

Meanwhile Pitt is a middle of the road ACC program. They pick off good teams here and there, but what good is it in otherwise disappointing years?
BEST CASE scenario for Pitt is 9 wins in a season? Pitt has averaged 6.8 wins a season since joining the ACC, but I'll submit this...
In 2016, they were two late defensive stops away from winning 10 in the regular season, and that was with what was one of the worst pass defenses I've ever seen a P5 team field in recent memory. Even in 2015, they were a ridiculous FG by Iowa's kicker away from taking Iowa to OT: a win there gives them 9.

Yes, you could argue that a 10-win team makes those stops and I'd agree. But maybe that also indicates Pitt is a little better than a 9-win "best case" scenario.

I think 8 wins a year is a reasonable expectation for Pitt fans from the program, with a "best case" scenario (read: most things going well) would be 10 or maybe even 11 wins. Most Pitt fans would legitimately be happy with 9 regular season wins.

Is winning 8 or 9 a year too high? I don't think so. Annual divisional games with Miami and VT are tough, but Narduzzi is 1-2 against each of them and they usually play well against VT. Pitt handled themselves well against the rest of the ACC Coastal with one exception. Narduzzi is 3-0 against both UVA and Duke, with two convincing wins against each. GT's offense can be tough to stop, but Narduzzi is 2-1 against them. He's also 2-1 against Syracuse. He still can't beat UNC, and that's something he needs to change. UNC has directly cost him two 9-win seasons.

What may hurt is that the out-of-conference schedules don't exactly do Pitt any favors. Next year, they get PSU at home but have to go to Notre Dame and UCF (wildcard without Frost, but they could still be tough). 2019 is at Penn State and home against UCF. From 2020-2025, they have at least one & sometimes two of ND, Tennessee or WVU on the schedule. None of those will probably be easy games.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Luke Getsy to be Mississippi State OC

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/statu ... 1646903296

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Good for him. He got a raw deal with the way Walt alternated redshirt years for him and Palko but he had a solid career at Akron.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Word on the street is that LSU will be moving on from Matt Canada as OC after the Fiesta Bowl. Hope you enjoyed your one season in the SEC ya ass.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Word on the street is that LSU will be moving on from Matt Canada as OC after the Fiesta Bowl. Hope you enjoyed your one season in the SEC ya ass.
Why would they move on after the Fiesta Bowl?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:06 pm

can we bring him back

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 pm

can we bring him back
This.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Why would they move on after the Fiesta Bowl?
OK, I was wondering the same :lol:

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Watching the freshman (graduated from HS in 3 years) qb at South Carolina throw the ball really puts a bum like DeNucci in perspective.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm