5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm

If Pitt grabs another 5th year transfer they'll not be able to sign a quality QB prospect for a while.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

The perfect solution here is PIckett wins the job in August 2018 and we are set for three years.

I actually think this is what is going to happen. Pickett clearly has no idea what he's doing on the field yet -- he has no ability to audible, takes nearly the entire play clock to get a play off, etc. -- but just as clearly has so much more arm and athletic talent than either Brown or DiNucci. Those couple slants he hit to Weah were ropes and the only time this year I recall seeing a pass from a Pitt QB come out like that.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Also puts Pitt's QB depth (strictly from a numbers standpoint) back into question. Browne will be gone, DiNucci may get pissed enough to transfer, Pickett will either start or be #2, TMac apparently has no future at the position, Nick Patti is incoming and of questionable abilities. Best case scenario is 3 QBs on the roster for next season. Wouldn't surprise me if we dip into the grad transfer well again.
They also appear to be gaining momentum with another 2018 QB named Carter Bradley from Florida. He's a 3-star QB by both Rivals and 247sports, but he has some better offers than Patti does (Wisconsin, Louisville, Syracuse, WVU, Indiana, Purdue, and some higher-level non-P5 programs). It looks like Pitt is in his top three with Syracuse and Wisconsin.

I don't really recall seeing Pitt recruiting him until relatively recently, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with MacVittie eventually changing positions.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Also puts Pitt's QB depth (strictly from a numbers standpoint) back into question. Browne will be gone, DiNucci may get pissed enough to transfer, Pickett will either start or be #2, TMac apparently has no future at the position, Nick Patti is incoming and of questionable abilities. Best case scenario is 3 QBs on the roster for next season. Wouldn't surprise me if we dip into the grad transfer well again.
They also appear to be gaining momentum with another 2018 QB named Carter Bradley from Florida. He's a 3-star QB by both Rivals and 247sports, but he has some better offers than Patti does (Wisconsin, Louisville, Syracuse, WVU, Indiana, Purdue, and some higher-level non-P5 programs). It looks like Pitt is in his top three with Syracuse and Wisconsin.

I don't really recall seeing Pitt recruiting him until relatively recently, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with MacVittie eventually changing positions.
That would be a welcome addition. Really would have been nice to get Doyle or Jurkovec in this recruiting class.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 pm

They passed on Doyle once they got Patti. They apparently told them both whoever was the next QB to commit would get the spot. Seems like a fair bet to assume that Tmac's struggles have led them to think they need to take another QB which is why Bradley is back in the picture.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm

That would be a welcome addition. Really would have been nice to get Doyle or Jurkovec in this recruiting class.
The most frustrating part of this is that from most reports, they never had a real chance to land Jurkovec. It was said that he and his family are lifelong ND fans. Given how early he committed and how there hasn't been one word about other programs still trying to recruit him, I'm guessing it's the case.

Venting time...

It highlights the roadblocks that Pitt has with recruiting in general, but especially with big-time local kids. Pitt's regional recruiting backyard is also well within geographical reach of the recruiting radars of four blueblood programs in UPS, Ohio State, Michigan and ND. That is what it is, though. They aren't going away so Pitt has to find ways around it.

Still, when you consider what those places can offer versus what Pitt can just in terms of current gameday experiences, it makes that hill even tougher to climb. To land a potential program-changing QB from your own backyard, you're basically left selling the ideas of staying home, playing in front of family and friends and being the big piece in the elevation of something new here. For kids who are talented enough to merit visits to those other schools, that's probably not enough so you hope like hell that the kid has always kind of entertained the idea of playing at Pitt.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Can Thomas tull buy the pitt athletic department too

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Pitt needs to do a better job breaking NCAA violations to entice kids here.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Pitt needs to build an on campus 45-50K seat stadium and make Oakland gameday great again.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Si.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Have NAN buy a house in Oakland and then tear it down for the new stadium. <insert attendance joke>

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm

All the seats would have boogers under them.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Still, when you consider what those places can offer versus what Pitt can just in terms of current gameday experiences, it makes that hill even tougher to climb. To land a potential program-changing QB from your own backyard, you're basically left selling the ideas of staying home, playing in front of family and friends and being the big piece in the elevation of something new here. For kids who are talented enough to merit visits to those other schools, that's probably not enough so you hope like hell that the kid has always kind of entertained the idea of playing at Pitt.
When it comes to recruiting, OK State has an uphill battle. TCU has an uphill battle. Baylor (when they aren't committing serious ethics violations) has an uphill battle. WVU has an outrageously tough uphill battle. Yet they get it done. Pitt fans (and the coaching staff itself) shouldn't cry in their beers about the unfairness in recruiting.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

I'd be really surprised if Pitt built another stadium. I couldn't imagine it, right now.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd be really surprised if Pitt built another stadium. I couldn't imagine it, right now.
They have spent 100K to analyze where it would and go and have a price tag for the relocation/construction for the preferred spot: $500mm. They better get working on it, because the Steelers are going to be agitating for a new stadium or massive renos to Heinz in the next few years. Their lease is up there in 2030 so its coming quick. I really doubt the Steelers would ever leave the North Shore given the economic incentives they have to not leave and the various business interests they have there, but if they move to Cranberry or Washington, what then? Pitt plays 25 miles from campus?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

How do most Pitt students get to the game now? Bus? Walk?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Pitt leases a bunch of school buses to take the students to the game. You can also take a pat bus to downtown from oakland

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Bus I assume. Walking is not an option.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm

i walked to oakland from south side once

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm

That's not too bad depending on where in Oakland.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Did it once at 2 am in december while more or less drunk wearing a hoodie and jeans. These kids and their uber don't know how lucky they are

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

54C

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Bus I assume. Walking is not an option.
As the crow flies, it really isn't all that much farther to get to Heinz field from Oakland than it is to get from parts of state college to beaver stadium. But the geography makes it seem way, way farther.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm

They have spent 100K to analyze where it would and go and have a price tag for the relocation/construction for the preferred spot: $500mm. They better get working on it, because the Steelers are going to be agitating for a new stadium or massive renos to Heinz in the next few years. Their lease is up there in 2030 so its coming quick. I really doubt the Steelers would ever leave the North Shore given the economic incentives they have to not leave and the various business interests they have there, but if they move to Cranberry or Washington, what then? Pitt plays 25 miles from campus?
lol I couldn't imagine a move to Cranberry or Washington. I'd like to see Pitt have it's own stadium, I think they should have done it all along.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Did it once at 2 am in december while more or less drunk wearing a hoodie and jeans. These kids and their uber don't know how lucky they are
mine was probably 2am in September.. back to Webster Hall by the Cathedral. Warmer, but not a pleasant walk wearing flip flops. Actually, most of it was barefoot, which looking back wasn't the greatest of ideas