Bibliophile Thread

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 am

Has anyone read The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter?

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Alchemis ... 4300R3DA7Y

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 pm

It's fine. I don't understand all the hype about it. I absolutely loved the banter between all the women and the structure of the book was interesting. However, the overall plot is lackluster.

I was also miffed by one of the name choices (won't go into it due to plot).

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:49 pm

It's fine. I don't understand all the hype about it. I absolutely loved the banter between all the women and the structure of the book was interesting. However, the overall plot is lackluster.

Great, thanks, I'll probably get around to it if I see it in the library. Have you read any of those I suggested to you? I can't remember if I've told you about any of those or not?

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Great, thanks, I'll probably get around to it if I see it in the library. Have you read any of those I suggested to you? I can't remember if I've told you about any of those or not?
I've read Borne based on your rec and liked it, but not the rest. So I added them to my tbr list!

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

I was cleaning out my basement over the weekend and found 2001: A Space Odyssey. Last time I read it, I was 12 or 13. Worth revisiting?

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am

Is the book better than the movie?

Has to be, right?

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 am

2nd Volume of Swamp Thing (alan moore run) was awesome. We need a Darren Aronofsky psychedelic to hell and back hard core environmentalist movie of these comics ASAP.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am

The best is yet to come. iirc ...

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 am

Between reading these and your Dashiell Hammett recommendations off and on over the lat week, my reading happiness is off the charts!

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 am

Between reading these and your Dashiell Hammett recommendations off and on over the lat week, my reading happiness is off the charts!
:thumb:

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am

Good Omens is frigging fantastic so far.

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 pm

good to hear about good omens. i decided last night though my next gaiman will be ocean at the end of the lane but i keep seeing good things about stardust too. i just buy any used book i see of his assuming i'll read them all.

about twenty pages left of "the power and the glory" it's interesting as you read enough literature you start to get your own feel of what a masterpiece is. I feel sure i've read three now though i'm sure it's a dozen or more. shorter books are easier for me to acknowledge though. all quiet on the western front, the remains of the day and now the power and the glory. and one interesting thing is that i don't necessarily prefer Remains over "never let me go" (though i probably do) or Power over "the quiet american." but there's something about the precision and necessity and consistent tone and i don't know some kind of subtle revelation that happens during the read where it all ties together and had to be. just having fun brainstorming this on a slow work day.

but more casually i really like graham greene so far. ticks my boxes. along with mccarthy, ishiguro, maybe coetzee. wish i spent more time reading though as i can't even reach 20 a year. but i'm looking to get back into sci fi/fantasy soon and i expect gaiman will be that gateway. 3 body problem keeps beckoning too

Silentom

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 am

Saw on reddit that the Winds of Winter' not coming in 2018.

Chuckled at one of the comments:
The Fall of Gondolin is coming out in 2018. Tolkien has been dead for almost half a century and he's more reliable than GRRM.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm

John Scalzi
The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency)

On sale for Kindle $2.99 today. Great read

The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F20E7CO/re ... 7AbVRJ2ATP

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Just started The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the Survivors of One of the Worst Disasters in Coal-Mining History Brought Suit Against the Coal Company- And Won .

It's about the dam collapse in 1972(?) that killed 125 people immediately and ruined countless homes and property. Really interesting read; if you liked reading about Johnstown Flood stuff this is a pretty interesting companion.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Finally getting around to some Shaara books. I finished Gods and Generals today (written by his son, of course). I haven't read Killer Angels yet so I do not have a point of comparison to his father's masterpiece, but I thought it was a great historical novel. It did a wonderful job touching on the main parts of the first half of the war, specifically the Chancellorsville/Fredericksburg campaigns.

Boy howdy the Union leadership was full blown incompetent for the first couple years of the war.

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Wed May 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Finished Iron Gold of the Red Rising series. It wasn't as good as the rest of the series was for me, but was still a solid sci fi read.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Bibliophile Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 am

FYI Fahrenheit 451 is being released as a movie on HBO later this month. One of my favorite book characters of all time, guy montag, will be played by Wallace of "the wire" fame. CANTWAIT.bartscott

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 am

I saw that trailer, does look good. Curious to see how they handle it. Not sure when it takes place as the book probably loses some of its impact with the rise of the internet and digital media.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 am

Finished Iron Gold of the Red Rising series. It wasn't as good as the rest of the series was for me, but was still a solid sci fi read.
Have that one coming to me from the library soon. Now I'm not as excited

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 10, 2018 9:03 am

Picked up Neil Gaimen's Good Omens and John Scalzi's Head On (follow up to Lock In). Finished up Agents of Dreamland which is like a Lovecraftian X Files Episode, very cool out there novella on kindle, definitely check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Agents-Dreamland ... +dreamland

MrKennethTKangaroo

Bibliophile Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am

I saw that trailer, does look good. Curious to see how they handle it. Not sure when it takes place as the book probably loses some of its impact with the rise of the internet and digital media.
There was an article in the WSJ, and it addressed this topic. They are going to treat the story a bit different and have the firemen burn books and unauthorized hard drives, devices, etc. in other words, the powers that be influence what you see and tracks the info you obtain, kind of like what happens today with the facebook and google. it also won't be futuristic...the directed called it an alternate tomorrow, not an alternate future

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 am

Interesting, thanks.

Rylan

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Rylan » Thu May 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Have that one coming to me from the library soon. Now I'm not as excited
Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. It's a setup up for the rest of the series, which isn't a bad thing. I am extremely excited for the next book in September.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 am

I opened this thread last night to comb through for recommendations to find a book to read in bed. Ended up starting the thread from the beginning and fell asleep reading it. :lol: