Bibliophile Thread

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:56 pm

They did a terrible job with the TV show. Glad it got cancelled

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:23 pm

I just finished Book 2 of Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy. I had watched the show but never read the books--I definitely love the universe that is set in.
I didn't realize it was a trilogy. I have the 1st one somewhere at home, I'll have to dig these out. I actually forgot he wrote this until you just mentioned it. thanks

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:53 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:53 am

Good book though.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Thoughts on a forum book club?

You can pretty much download anything from b-ok.org.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:06 pm

Thoughts on a forum book club?

You can pretty much download anything from b-ok.org.
I would love that. Something that we can set a deadline for reading a chapter (or three) and meet up and discuss it at that time. Obviously would need to be something none of us have read but I love that idea.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 am

If we knew this was going to last more than a month, I’d say infinite jest.

Otherwise I’m open for whatever book.

This is the only fiction book I’ve been meaning to read recently but haven’t got around to it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_(novel)

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 pm

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 am

Local bookstore doing a lot of online promotions and fun things to try and stay in business. Might do their mystery book package. You answer a few questions about your interests and such, and they will send $100 worth of books to your house to fit those interests.

That is one of the places I would be devastated if they went out of business, so trying to at least buy something during this time.

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm

I have been wanting to expand my horizons, and read some authors that are widely considered to be the best of the 20th century. Has anyone else read anything from W.G. Sebald? I am starting off with Vertigo...it is a very unconventional book and definitely a big change of pace from what I am used to. My next one will be Austerlitz, which ranks in many lists of the Top 10 books of the last century.
Im reading Vertigo right now. Did you finish it? I don't have a strong opinion 60 Pages in but it ticks many boxes for me. Pseudo history and travelogue and studying memory

I've given in to the fact that there's only so much time and that having a book spoiled might not decrease my enjoyment of it so I've started listening to podcasts talking about classics i don't have on my imminent list.

Especially enjoying Marlon and Jake Read Dead People but also Backlisted and even the amateur woke dudes at Overdue. The formost one is The Brief History of Seven Killings guy and his main editor. Their chats really help me target authors that should appeal to me and those to avoid.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:52 pm

Gonna re-read The Plague, I guess.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Bent heavens was decent, Hobbit was glorious as ever, first volume of monstress was ok, not sure if I'll continue, reading summer of 69 now and that's a trip so far.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Terrible song. Terrible.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:39 pm

With the libraries being closed, I've been digging through some old books I haven't read in a long time.

Just re-read Sahara in honor of Cussler's recent passing. Man, the Dirk Pitt novels are soooo entertaining. Just fun from start to finish. I think I'm going to re-read most of that series since I didn't remember Sahara at all.

Found one of the first Mitch Rapp books (Vince Flynn) and started reading it. Also stupidly entertaining. I'm pretty sure Mitch Rapp was the prototype for Jack Bauer, and I think Flynn even consulted on one of the 24 seasons.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 am

The wait for ebooks from the library is insane. Normally it is difficult to get an ebook anyway, because they only have 1-2 e-copies per book (if at all). One book I tried to get, I would have been 74th in line. The next book I would have been 300th in line :shock: So I just put in some holds for the physical copies and will wait until the library opens for them.

I was planning on buying books from my local bookstore because I don't want them to go under, but now I just might have to buy more to get me through this stay at home period.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 am

@eddysnake Were you the one that recommended the Arc of a Scythe Series? Or have I told you about it? I'm 26th in line for the 3rd book (ebook), but it is a great series. I recommend you check it out.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:15 am

The wait for ebooks from the library is insane. Normally it is difficult to get an ebook anyway, because they only have 1-2 e-copies per book (if at all). One book I tried to get, I would have been 74th in line. The next book I would have been 300th in line :shock: So I just put in some holds for the physical copies and will wait until the library opens for them.

I was planning on buying books from my local bookstore because I don't want them to go under, but now I just might have to buy more to get me through this stay at home period.
Check the national library archive, they waived all wait times and made them available. I couldn't figure out how to get on my Kindle though

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 am

Check the national library archive, they waived all wait times and made them available. I couldn't figure out how to get on my Kindle though
The National Library Archive has also been accused of steal a lot of copy right books, so I'm trying to avoid using them.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 am

The National Library Archive has also been accused of steal a lot of copy right books, so I'm trying to avoid using them.
Oh, did not realize that. I went to the library before this started and looked like a crazy person walking out with stacks of books

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Read Junky in a few hours. Entertaining. Easiest book I've ever read. Hooked me and never slowed down

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:07 pm

I've said it before, walking through the stacks at the library is one of the best, most relaxing feelings in the world for me. I routinely return books a few days late but figure my fines are just additional donations.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:40 am

Summer of 69 (Todd strasser) was a really great coming of age story, highly recommend.

Going to read The Outsiders next and I ordered Sysyphean, News of the World, and Trout Fishing in America.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:21 pm

The Outsiders was awesome, waves of memories flashing back from 7th grade. Such a great book.

Started reading Sisyphean and this is right up my alley. Things got weird starting on page 1

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35297157-sisyphean

Synopsis:
Even after the world and humanity itself have been rendered nearly unrecognizable by genetic engineering, a day in the office can feel… Sisyphean.

The company stands atop a tiny deck supported by huge iron columns a hundred meters high. The boss there is its president—a large creature of unstable, shifting form once called “human.” The world of his dedicated worker contains only the deck and the sea of mud surrounding it, and and the worker’s daily routine is anything but peaceful. A mosaic novel of extreme science and high weirdness, Sisyphean will change the way you see existence itself.

A strange journey into the far future of genetic engineering, and working life. After centuries of tinkering, many human bodies only have a casual similarity to what we now know, but both work and school continue apace. Will the enigmatic sad sack known only as “the worker” survive the day? Will the young student Hanishibe get his questions about the biological future of humanity answered, or will he have to transfer to the department of theology? Will Umari and her master ever comprehend the secrets of nanodust?

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 am

Dark matter is $3. Great book

Started reading the predator 30th anniversary comic collection. Concrete jungle us so good and you can definitely see the predator 2 influences in it. As much as I love predator 2, I really dig the Dutch's brother storyline

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:36 pm

@crusherstasiak