Bibliophile Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:00 am

The authors signed off on a graphic novel series that covers some of the time after book six and before book seven. It was a Kickstarter thing, and it finally starts shipping out this week. I miss The Expanse universe as well, so it will be good to get back into it.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:45 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:48 pm

Yes.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:46 am

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm

Looks like a new story in the Wool/Silo trilogy!

https://www.threads.net/@hughhowey/post ... IwNjQ2YQ==

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:49 am

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:10 pm

Just finished Demon Copperhead.

I know it’s set in a more rural area than where I grew up, but I saw a lot of my schoolmates in those characters. Lost a lot of people from high school to opioids, especially star football players. And certainly a lot of kids that bounced from foster home to foster home.

The story itself was incredibly sad, but there was some phenomenal writing, and one liners that had me laughing and thinking at the same time.

Overall, it was a really good book. I’d recommend anyone and everyone to read it, just know you’re gonna be sad.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:14 pm

Ended up reading and finishing The Institute (Stephen King) in a week's time. Really enjoyed it.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:01 pm

I have a recommendation for the sc-fi series The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.
Set in the indeterminate far future in which humanity has expanded to many other planets, the main character is a SecUnit—a part-organic, part-mechanical construct (think sort of the original Terminator) designed to provide personal security to humans in dangerous situations, such as the exploration of new planets. The SecUnit, which secretly calls itself Murderbot, manages to hack its governor module, thus enabling it to develop independence. Murderbot primarily uses that new independence to watch TV shows. Murderbot considers humans generally stupid and icky with their emotionality and bodily fluids and their general near-suicidal lack of attention to their own safety and security, and it mostly just wants to do its job and keep whatever humans it's been contracted to protect alive with a minimum of human interaction so that it can get back to watching its favorite TV shows. As always, events intervene, and Murderbot finds itself actually developing friendships and connections, which it finds highly annoying.

The characters and worldbuilding are both quite good. Murderbot comes across as a cross between someone with autism and a grumpy old man with no f***s left to give, and it's as blunt as a sack of doorknobs and every bit as tactful (at least at first). The series comprises five shorter novellas, one longer novel, and several short stories; more books are planned. All of the novels and novellas are part of Kindle Unlimited. The first novella, All Systems Red, won Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards and has a 4.4 rating on Amazon with more than 39,500 reviews.
Just finished All Systems Red. It's a lot of fun and the audiobook reminded me of Project Hail Mary with its somewhat casual sci-fi elements coming from a snarky and funny narrator. Looking forward to going through the rest of the series.

By the way, if you're an audiobook guy, I went with the versions read by Kevin Free. The others are full cast dramatized versions and that style rarely appeals to me.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:11 am

On my trip to San Diego a few weeks ago, I was done with Demon Copperhead, so I just snagged whatever was available on audiobook on the Libby app. Found one called "The Marlow Murder Club". Just finished listening to it, and it was enjoyable. It wasn't deep, it wasn't overly interesting, no huge twists or turns, but enjoyable. Just a murder mystery joyride.

After I finished it, I googled to find that it's been adapted into a TV series, which with the right actors and director(s), I would imagine would also be very enjoyable. It'll be available on PBS in April, and I plan to watch it.

Now... I've got two audible credits burning a hole in my pocket. What to pick.... what to pick.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:58 am

On my trip to San Diego a few weeks ago, I was done with Demon Copperhead, so I just snagged whatever was available on audiobook on the Libby app. Found one called "The Marlow Murder Club". Just finished listening to it, and it was enjoyable. It wasn't deep, it wasn't overly interesting, no huge twists or turns, but enjoyable. Just a murder mystery joyride.

After I finished it, I googled to find that it's been adapted into a TV series, which with the right actors and director(s), I would imagine would also be very enjoyable. It'll be available on PBS in April, and I plan to watch it.

Now... I've got two audible credits burning a hole in my pocket. What to pick.... what to pick.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Every-Man-fo ... 8dceb62f2c

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:18 pm

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

I’ve been loving Murderbot Diaries and now I’m planning my next series. The Bobiverse keeps popping up in my searches. Anybody read those?

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:35 am

James Salter's memoir ('Recollection') Burning The Days is just sublime. What a terrific writer (also a West Point graduate and fighter pilot in Korea).

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:06 am

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:57 am

Anybody read Artemis by Andy Weir? Big fan of Project Hail Mary and The Martian but I've seen nothing but negative reviews for Artemis.

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 am

Yeah, I did. It was fine, IIRC. Definitely a step down from The Martian, but that was a tough act to follow.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am

I thought the first book (annihilation) was an excellent novel that really shined with mood and dread. I had a tough time with the others. That seems to be the consensus from others I've talked to who have read them. Hopefully this is good. I really liked his Borne book.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 am

Just picked up Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. No idea what I'm getting into with this one.

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:49 am

Just picked up Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. No idea what I'm getting into with this one.
I hated it, but finished it (typically I'll quit a book if I don't like it). I know others loved it. meowshrug.txt

To add to my DNF list: Practical Magic. I have no idea where this stupid book was supposed to go, but it needed to hurry the hell up and get there. I see there's an abridged version that is 1/3 the length of the full version. If you can cut a book down to 1/3 the length and tell the same story, your original story sucked, and in this case, the original story sucked.

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:00 am

I liked annihilation ok but i also read the others weren't as good.

Never Let Me Go is a reddit darling for sure. It suffers from being over hyped.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:15 pm

Reading a book on the Cultural Revolution in China. I may quit this one. It’s too hard for me to keep up with all the characters. Don’t know if it’s just me but foreign names are tough to keep track of since they are not common names to me. For some reason my brain doesn’t associate a face to them and I eventually get lost on who’s who

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:37 pm

Reading a book on the Cultural Revolution in China. I may quit this one. It’s too hard for me to keep up with all the characters. Don’t know if it’s just me but foreign names are tough to keep track of since they are not common names to me. For some reason my brain doesn’t associate a face to them and I eventually get lost on who’s who
Which one? I read Life and Death in Shanghai and that was a great but sobering read. Definitely made me appreciate what I don't have to worry about in a daily basis

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 pm

Son of the Revolution is the book that started my interest in Chinese culture especially under Mao. If you're reading more of a history but want more the feeling of living in the society I highly recommend this biography

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:32 pm

Which one? I read Life and Death in Shanghai and that was a great but sobering read. Definitely made me appreciate what I don't have to worry about in a daily basis
The World Turned Upside Down. Listening to it on audiobook. I think the problem is it reads too much like a textbook. I keep wanting to give it a chance but have a bad feeling it won’t get any more interesting.

I may give the one you read a shot instead. Does it get into Maoism at all? That’s the real thing I wanted to learn about. What made the guy such a deity to the Chinese?