Bibliophile Thread

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:34 pm

What are peoples thoughts on a World War Z. I started reading it and it seems so dry for a zombie book. Worth it to continue?
I think because it's supposed to be. It's intended to be a more "legit" examination of what would happen in a real worldwide zombie outbreak. It reads more like a recap of current events than a Dawn of the Dead type deal but I liked it. The pace does pick up at some point.

If you are looking for a good zombie read, I know a guy that writes a lot of them. As a matter of fact, his publisher is right down the road from me.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:56 pm

What are peoples thoughts on a World War Z. I started reading it and it seems so dry for a zombie book. Worth it to continue?
I think because it's supposed to be. It's intended to be a more "legit" examination of what would happen in a real worldwide zombie outbreak. It reads more like a recap of current events than a Dawn of the Dead type deal but I liked it. The pace does pick up at some point.

If you are looking for a good zombie read, I know a guy that writes a lot of them. As a matter of fact, his publisher is right down the road from me.
This is my first zombie book, not really a genre I have delved into (along with vampire books).

I'll stick it out and see how it goes, or switch to audiobook as @nocera mentions.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:01 pm

:thumb:

By the way... I was referring to @AuthorTony ;)

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 pm

WWZ sounds nice. Might give it a go. Stuff like TWD gets too character driven and almost forgets it's a zombie story

AuthorTony

Bibliophile Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:07 pm

:thumb:

By the way... I was referring to @AuthorTony ;)
Thanks, man! :fist:

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:06 am

Just finished The House in the Cerulean Sea. It’s a very nice book. I found myself just being happy while reading it. Very akin to watching Ted Lasso. Nothing was gut busting funny, but I just kept smiling while reading it.
I'm 50 pages in and can see me enjoying this the same way.

The Lincoln Highway was a really great read, highly recommend.

Very much enjoyed The Anthropocene Reviewed, was almost therapeutic.

Jurassic Park/Lost World was a terrific reread.

Upgrade wasn't my favorite Crouch book, but I still enjoyed it.

Reread The Great Gatsby and enjoyed it so much more than I remember from high school. it really is an incredible book.

Led Zeppelin biography by Bob Spitz was kinda sad and depressing.

Had a very tough go with The Buried Giant, will have to revisit again.

Anyone ever read the Robert Asprin Myth Adventure books?

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:28 am

Good to see you, @eddy. Some speculation that your crazy neighbor offed you. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am

Glad you’re enjoying it, eddy. I loved it right through the end. Such a good book.

And I agree in Anthropocene reviewed. Very therapeutic. And the nice part is that each chapter is an individual. You can finish a chapter, put the book down for a month and come back to it.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:41 am

Good to see you, @eddy. Some speculation that your crazy neighbor offed you. :lol:
Ha, took a long break from my phone to see what would happen. It's been most enjoyable for my brain.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:54 am

Added Lincoln Highway to my Kindle list, thanks!

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:06 am

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:48 pm

i made a goal this year to 'read' more books. i put 'read' in quotes because most of them are via audible when i am driving around but still counts.

2023 litt book tour

Ron Chernow - Washington - biography on George Washington. Always wanted to learn more. the 42 hour audiobook didnt disappoint. i learned a number of things that were novel to me about GW and our nation

Andy Weir - Project Hail Mary - from author of The Martian. interesting book about an intersterllar bacteria that uses energy from the sun to reproduce and substantially decreases the luminosity of the sun leading ot potential ice age. would recommend if you liked the martian

Bob Iger - The Ride of a Lifetime - Iger's autobiography. very interesting about his career and some fruitful examples that pertain to leadership and business

Jocko Willink & Leif Babin - Extreme Ownership - Willink and Babin were navy seals that served in Ramadi in 2006. they started a leadership consulting group and relate leadership principles to the combat tactics the seals employ. excellent book and have used many of the tactics and examples in my day to day. highly recommend

Chris Vos - Never Split the Difference - was the lead international hostage negotiator for the FBI for several years (spent time in pittsburgh, apparently), worked in the NYC joint terrrorism task force before FBI. tactics and strategies for how to effectively negotiate. not sure if i would recommend or not. some useful nuggets about the psychology behind negotiating and what to look for in your mark

James Clear - Atomic Habits - how to change your habits, break down habits in to small, digestible bits, and how to identify triggers and tactics to protect yourself from yourself

in progress

Michael Lewis - The Big Short

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:49 pm

My next audio book ended up being David Sedaris' Happy-Go-Lucky. We have the book as well, but his stories are even better if you listen to him read them. I read a few of his books when I was in school. Naked, Holidays on Ice, Me Talk Pretty One Day, and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim but I haven't read any of his more recent stuff. It was really interesting to see how his writing has changed, and the "characters" (his family) have aged. Many of the stories deal with the aging and eventual death of his 98-year-old father, and while he's been a character in previous essays, I feel like he really gets into the hard to talk about stuff here. Anyway, you sort of know what you're getting with Sedaris and he's as good as ever.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:05 pm

Has anybody read Project Hail Mary?

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:52 pm

No, but I've read his other two books and enjoyed them.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:38 am

@LITT posted a positive review a few days ago

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:28 am

:face: Thanks.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LITT » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:12 pm

I really enjoyed it. The ending was a bit lame but it kept me interested all the way

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:21 pm

I really enjoyed it. The ending was a bit lame but it kept me interested all the way
I haven’t read the Martian but I’ve heard such good things about the Project Hail Mary audiobook. I started it yesterday. We’ll see.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:01 pm

Just finished Leviathan Wakes... I can't remember I finished a book that quickly. Put the boxed set on my wish list for my 40th next month

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:08 pm

All good people here

It was really good up until the super cliffhanger ending. I’d suggest it if you like murder mystery.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 am

TWOTD

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 04, 2023 2:00 pm

That was an incredibly enjoyable audio book. I agree on the ending, though I'm not sure any ending would've been completely satisfying. Also, I can't see the Ryan Gosling film (if it happens) being all that great but we'll see.

LITT

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LITT » Thu May 04, 2023 3:42 pm

That was an incredibly enjoyable audio book. I agree on the ending, though I'm not sure any ending would've been completely satisfying. Also, I can't see the Ryan Gosling film (if it happens) being all that great but we'll see.
i feel like they built up the revenge angle with stratt so much that i was bummed to not get that

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 04, 2023 3:52 pm

The Lincoln Highway was a really great read, highly recommend.
Read this the other day. I appreciate the recommendation. It's not something I would have found on my own. :thumb:

It was a page-turner, and it kept me going into the wee hours for a few nights.
That said, I really hated the antagonist. He's perfectly written because we all know someone like that in real life and they're constantly being rewarded for making the worst possible choices. I was constantly annoyed throughout the book because of his behavior and the measured response, by everyone, towards it. That's probably the mark of good writing so props to the author.

I didn't like the way the dialogue was written. Without using paragraph offsets or even quotation marks it comes across as a stream of consciousness and could be a chore to follow conversations. At times it came across as a bit too cute.
The writing mechanism of each chapter being told by a different character led to an awful lot of retelling and backtracking. I'm not sure but I think if you picked one of the main characters and read it all the way through using just their chapters you can probably still follow the plot the whole way through, at least from their perspective. The only other book I can think of like this, of all things, was First Blood by David Morrell (Rambo).

Glad I read it but if I had bought it in paperback it would go straight to the donation bin.