Bibliophile Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:23 pm

Yeah... his previous writings "Turtles all the way down" and "The fault in our stars" are both fictional in nature. The Anthropocene Reviewed is just random things that he reviews. For instance, I just finished up his reviews on Canadian geese, diet dr. pepper, and scratch and sniff stickers. It's a very entertaining book so far.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Sounds great, it's at my library so I'm looking forward to it

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:31 pm

The Crouch audiobook was on a long waitlist, so not surprised you didn't find a copy, eddy.
Can you call me and I'll just listen to it when you do?
They added like 10 more copies recently so I jumped from 48th to like, 6th in a day. Put your name in, you should get it in a couple weeks.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 pm

Don't think I mentioned it in here, but Braiding Sweetgrass was a very enjoyable read. Helped me get a better grip on nature and how we all belong to a much larger ecosystem that just the human race. Made me really think that I want to do more to preserve nature, just don't know what that is right now.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Yeah... his previous writings "Turtles all the way down" and "The fault in our stars" are both fictional in nature. The Anthropocene Reviewed is just random things that he reviews. For instance, I just finished up his reviews on Canadian geese, diet dr. pepper, and scratch and sniff stickers. It's a very entertaining book so far.
Coming back to this... it very well may be one of my favorite books I've picked up in a long, long time. I just finished it. I've been reading a lot of science-y and leadership style non-fiction. This book is just phenomenal.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm

just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (wrote the Martian as well)

premise: decrease in solar luminosity observed, determined to be interstellar microbe. the rest of the book is trying to find a solution

i really enjoyed it up until the last 3 or 4 chapters and feel like the ending really sucked. really bummed out

just started reading the bob iger autobiography

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 am

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:44 am

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:42 am

Just finished The House in the Cerulean Sea. It’s a very nice book. I found myself just being happy while reading it. Very akin to watching Ted Lasso. Nothing was gut busting funny, but I just kept smiling while reading it.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:07 pm

I am about 100 pages into this--this is a really fun read.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:02 am

There are a couple of the big classics that I've never read. Figured I'd circle back and check Catcher in the Rye off my list. It's a bit of a snap judgment, I'm only about 27% through it, but I expected a bit more. The manic, halting writing style just isn't for me. It's unfortunate but as I'm reading it I'm hearing it in Donald Trump's voice because it's written in almost that exact delivery. Even some of the phrasing is the same.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:04 am

There are a couple of the big classics that I've never read. Figured I'd circle back and check Catcher in the Rye off my list. It's a bit of a snap judgment, I'm only about 27% through it, but I expected a bit more. The manic, halting writing style just isn't for me. It's unfortunate but as I'm reading it I'm hearing it in Donald Trump's voice because it's written in almost that exact delivery. Even some of the phrasing is the same.
Franny and Zooey is a better read imo

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:56 am

Salinger is an interesting guy. I read Catcher way back in high school, and I thought it was great. Doubt I'd hold the same opinion now. And Franny and Zooey probably holds up better and has more meaning now (as I close out my fourth decade).

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 am

Paul Auster has been diagnosed with cancer.

Shyster

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:39 pm

Amazon is abandoning its Kindle Newsstand service for magazine and newspaper subscriptions. I had over half a dozen subscriptions through that service. Dangit.

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:15 am

I like Apple News+. Works very well with existing subscriptions like to the Wall Street Journal and WaPo.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:35 pm

When the mandate came down that we were to be in the office three days a week, I figured I could at least use my commuting time wisely so I decided to listen to some audio books. First, I listened to the abridged World War Z book. It was fun revisiting that one for the first time in a very long time. It's also a star-studded audio book with Max Brooks as the narrator, Carl & Rob Reiner, Nathon Fillon, Henry Rollins, Simon Pegg, Mark Hamill, Alan Alda, and more. Max's wife Michelle also has a role, which was fun as she's a friend and I had no idea she would be on it. That was a quick listen, though. Only about 7 hours. Next I moved to the Jurassic Park audio book narrated by Scott Brick (who was fantastic). Much more of a commitment at about 16 hours but I have to commute regardless so I had the time. I ended up actually looking forward to my hour+ commute. The differences between the JP book and movie is another post but I found value in each version.

So, now I need a new audio book. Any suggestions? I have the three LOTR books narrated by Andy Serkis downloaded and ready to go but I wanted to see if there were any other that I should consider first.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:43 pm

When the mandate came down that we were to be in the office three days a week, I figured I could at least use my commuting time wisely so I decided to listen to some audio books. First, I listened to the abridged World War Z book. It was fun revisiting that one for the first time in a very long time. It's also a star-studded audio book with Max Brooks as the narrator, Carl & Rob Reiner, Nathon Fillon, Henry Rollins, Simon Pegg, Mark Hamill, Alan Alda, and more. Max's wife Michelle also has a role, which was fun as she's a friend and I had no idea she would be on it. That was a quick listen, though. Only about 7 hours. Next I moved to the Jurassic Park audio book narrated by Scott Brick (who was fantastic). Much more of a commitment at about 16 hours but I have to commute regardless so I had the time. I ended up actually looking forward to my hour+ commute. The differences between the JP book and movie is another post but I found value in each version.

So, now I need a new audio book. Any suggestions? I have the three LOTR books narrated by Andy Serkis downloaded and ready to go but I wanted to see if there were any other that I should consider first.
I can give you many suggestions, depends what you like. Fiction, non, adventure, political, etc. Is there a max length to the book that you have to adhere to? I borrow from the library so only get 3 weeks with the book. So I have to choose wisely and sometimes speed up the playback if it's a really long book

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:15 pm

John Grisham books make for good listening. I relisten to Ford County every few years. It's a short story collection set in the A Time to Kill 'universe'.

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:18 pm

I can give you many suggestions, depends what you like. Fiction, non, adventure, political, etc. Is there a max length to the book that you have to adhere to? I borrow from the library so only get 3 weeks with the book. So I have to choose wisely and sometimes speed up the playback if it's a really long book
:thumb: Fiction would be my first choice. JP at 16 hours was a decent length. I’m not sure I’d want to go much longer than that considering I only listen during my commute three days a week. I’m currently reading Band of Brothers at night, so I wouldn’t be opposed historical though I’m not super interested in political or modern history.

robbiestoupe

Bibliophile Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:33 pm

Anything Stephen Ambrose will be good. I especially liked Undaunted Courage. Anything David McCullough would also be good history

Blake Crouch has some really cool books. Wayward Pines, Dark Matter, Upgrade. All really good fiction books. More on the modern side of things

I also really enjoyed the Silo series by Hugh Howley. They’re staring a new series in Apple of the same name that’s based on these books

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 pm

I really liked the Bosch books. Most of the recent ones are narrated by Titus Welliver. Public library has all of them usually.

The Beartown trilogy was good on audiobook too.

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:44 pm

Restarted the Harry Potter series. So much I forgot from the books. And as I read, so far it’s legitimately good story telling. There’s a reason they’re popular.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:23 pm

What are peoples thoughts on a World War Z. I started reading it and it seems so dry for a zombie book. Worth it to continue?

nocera

Bibliophile Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:25 pm

What are peoples thoughts on a World War Z. I started reading it and it seems so dry for a zombie book. Worth it to continue?
It’s one of my favorites. It’s the most realistic zombie story you’ll find. Not sure how far you are, but it’s written as if it’s a history book, so I suppose the early first cases could seem dry. Once it gets rolling and especially once The Great Panic starts, the pace should pick up for you. It’s also a fantastic audio book (noted in an above post).