Bibliophile Thread

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Just started reading Forever War based on Eddy's recommendation. Obvious anti-war bent, but great/moving stuff so far

tifosi77

Re: Bibliophile Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:16 pm

I read the the thread title and thought it said "biblephile" and was like 'I immediately regret this decision'.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Introduction to Diffraction in Materials Science and Engineering. I'm 4 years into my degree and now I have to take a hard right hand turn to the left and learn something brand new. Oh well, wide skill set is key in my line of work, so I'll read this stupid book.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm

I read the the thread title and thought it said "biblephile" and was like 'I immediately regret this decision'.
lol. ABANDON THREAD!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm

I've recently gotten into reading Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series. It is basically "Rockford Files" ported into the end of the Roman Republic.

Good stuff.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Still reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. What a disturbing piece of fiction. I thought if I could get through the first short story (about a 13 year old kid who has to bite through his prolapsed rectum to surface out of a pool) I could get through anything. I was wrong...

Shyster

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:09 pm

I finished up Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which as I mentioned somewhere else is a free-to-read fanfiction of Harry Potter. I thought it was a really good book. Events and characters are much different than the canon books, and Harry in this book comes across as much smarter than in the canon books. To be honest he could be somewhat autistic. But the story is interesting and detailed, and I found myself quite entertained. It's free to read, and you can even download a .mobi or .epub file for your e-reader of choice. http://hpmor.com/

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Introduction to Diffraction in Materials Science and Engineering. I'm 4 years into my degree and now I have to take a hard right hand turn to the left and learn something brand new. Oh well, wide skill set is key in my line of work, so I'll read this stupid book.
But crystals are sooo cool.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:40 am

Just started reading Forever War based on Eddy's recommendation. Obvious anti-war bent, but great/moving stuff so far
Glad you are enjoying it so far, how did you end up liking Ready Player One (Did you see Spielberg is attached to direct now)? To round out my scifi recommendation to you, I highly suggest you check out The Martin (Andy Weir) next. Of all those three, this was probably my favorite (and the movie is coming out in fall)

I really liked the 1st of the southern reach trilogy(Jeff VanderMeer): Annihilation. I'm about 40 pages into the 2nd one and the flashback sequences are killing me. I hope it gets better because the 1st one was totally gnarly.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 am

I am about three quarters through the Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.

I didn't eat much eel, but I know I won't eat it anymore.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:14 am

Ready player one was great eddy

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:42 pm

Finished All the Birds, Singing

Short novel but took a bit to read because every sentence felt important. Either adding to the spooky atmosphere or because she dropped a clue or two each chapter that paid off the next chapter.

The structure of the book was brilliant as each odd chapter went forward in time and each even chapter was set successively further back in her past. Impressive little book set in Australia and a lonely British island

Reading Wild now about a girl walking the Pacific crest trail alone. It's a movie now or in production

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 pm

I want to thank Eddy again for his recommendation. Forever War was a fantastic read. As others have said, very complex and mind-effing in parts, simple in others. Have you guys ever read the "sequels" to this? I know Forever Peace won a bunch of Sci-Fi fiction novel awards so I am curious.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 am

I want to thank Eddy again for his recommendation. Forever War was a fantastic read. As others have said, very complex and mind-effing in parts, simple in others. Have you guys ever read the "sequels" to this? I know Forever Peace won a bunch of Sci-Fi fiction novel awards so I am curious.
Apparently Halderman wrote Forever Peace afterwards which isn't technically a sequel, but more of another story dealing with similiar themes, this time referering more to Iraq than Vietnam. It's supposed to be good. More recently he did do a direct sequel to Forever War called Forever Free. It gets some pretty harsh reviews. I have both in my queue along with another one of his I discovered at the library called "the accidental time machine" that sounds really cool.

John Scalzi wrote a book called Old Man's War that is supposed to be along the same line as Forever War and it gets excellent reviews.

I recently found out that if the library doesn't have a book you want, you can put in a request and they'll get it on loan from another library. I'm currently reading Bird Box and it's getting pretty freaky. I hope to go back and dive in to the ones mentioned above after this

bird box:
Malorie, a young mother of two children known simply as Boy and Girl, is a survivor living in a postapocalyptic world, raising her children to use all their senses, especially their listening skills, as sight is not an option here. In this world, the survivors struggle to stay alive by living indoors with all the windows boarded up. The sight of whatever is outside is causing people to become violent murderers, as well as suicidal, in the most horrific ways possible.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Whoa

Freddy Rumsen

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Received the Walking Dead Compendium One in the mail today.

I'll see you sometime in August.

AuthorTony

Bibliophile Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Yinz guys read really smart books.

I'm reading The Troop by Nick Cutter. Only a couple chapters in but it's off to a good start.

count2infinity

Bibliophile Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:37 pm

I think I want to start getting into history-esque novels. Anyone have a recommendation for a book on the Whiskey Rebellion?

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:05 pm

With Turn coming back soon, decided to get around to reading Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring . So far the story is good, but the writing is a notch lower than I would've thought. It's kind of like Flags of Our Fathers in that regard, the story compensates for the prose.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Finished bird box by Josh malerman. If psychological horror full of suspense is your thing, check this out. Nice short read. A couple times I didn't read it at night because it actually creeped me out.

dodint

Bibliophile Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Cool, added it to my Kindle wishlist. Love that kind of stuff.

Freddy Rumsen

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Finished the first Walking Dead Compendium.
Comic story Governor and death of Lori = Awesome while tv is bleh

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 am

picked up old man's war by John Scalzi. So far so good.

Also picked up Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel which got some excellent reviews. looking forward to reading this after the wife gets through. Anyone read this?
An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

DigitalGypsy66

Bibliophile Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:46 am

Just started James Kaplan's 2010 bio of Frank Sinatra. Good so far. Part two is out this fall...

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:14 am

picked up old man's war by John Scalzi. So far so good.

Also picked up Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel which got some excellent reviews. looking forward to reading this after the wife gets through. Anyone read this?
An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.
No, but I almost grabbed it twice. I'd be interested in what you think of it. It lost out in favor of The Marauders this time for me though:

"When the BP oil spill devastates the Gulf coast, those who made a living by shrimping find themselves in dire straits. For the oddballs and lowlifes who inhabit.../the coast/...these desperate circumstances serve as the catalyst that pushes them to enact whatever risky schemes they can dream up to reverse their fortunes. At the center of it all is Gus Lindquist, a pill-addicted, one armed treasure hunter obsessed with finding the lost treasure of pirate Jean Lafitte."

"Sad, grotesque, hilarious, breathtaking...stands with ease among the work of such stylistic predecessors as Twain, Carl Hiaasen and Elmore Leonard. One thing that gives “The Marauders” its own clear hallmark is its quicksilver prose. The book’s other standout aspect is how it demands and earns sympathy for all but its most evil characters and for the fate-blasted but nature-blessed locale they inhabit..." WSJ