Bibliophile Thread

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm

New books by Don Winslow .
Have you read The Force? I've never read anything by him, but saw it at the library and it looks interesting...
Not sure who you're quoting, but The Force is excellent, as are Power of the Dog and The Cartel. Most of his books are.
thanks, I thought someone talked about that book in here and upon a search only your quote on the author came up, so I figured you'd have knowledge. Will pick up this evening. Thanks

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:26 pm

New books by Don Winslow .
Have you read The Force? I've never read anything by him, but saw it at the library and it looks interesting...
Not sure who you're quoting, but The Force is excellent, as are Power of the Dog and The Cartel. Most of his books are.
thanks, I thought someone talked about that book in here and upon a search only your quote on the author came up, so I figured you'd have knowledge. Will pick up this evening. Thanks
Sorry, Subway user or whatever it is called. ;)

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Anyway, if you like James Ellroy, Dennis Lehane, George Pelecanos, Richard Price,etc. you will probably like Winslow.

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Reading Power of the Dog now, I read the Cartel last summer. I really enjoy these books.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 pm

this will be my first step into crime fiction

Troy Loney

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Anyway, if you like James Ellroy, Dennis Lehane, George Pelecanos, Richard Price,etc. you will probably like Winslow.
reminds me of like a latin american version of Richard Price.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm

This is unacceptable. I hereby order you to work through the collected works of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett before doing anything else.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Reading Power of the Dog now, I read the Cartel last summer. I really enjoy these books.
Winslow is working on another sequel, if I'm not mistaken.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 pm

This is unacceptable. I hereby order you to work through the collected works of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett before doing anything else.
choices at my library are poodle springs and The novels of Dashiell Hammett (which looks like Red Harvest -- the Dain Curse -- the Maltese Falcon -- the Glass Key -- the Thin Man) and woman in the dark

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm

choices at my library are poodle springs and The novels of Dashiell Hammett (which looks like Red Harvest -- the Dain Curse -- the Maltese Falcon -- the Glass Key -- the Thin Man) and woman in the dark
Red Harvest, Maltese Falcon, Thin Man, and Glass Key are essential. Poodle Springs was left unfinished by Chandler when he died and later completed by Robert B. Parker. Not essential.

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 am

Red Harvest, Maltese Falcon, Thin Man, and Glass Key are essential. Poodle Springs was left unfinished by Chandler when he died and later completed by Robert B. Parker. Not essential.
you didn't tell me that reading these are going to make me want a cocktail?!?!?!?

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:06 am

you didn't tell me that reading these are going to make me want a cocktail?!?!?!?
:lol:

Oh yes, they do.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 am

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I just finished a pretty interesting, unique read:

Essentially, the story is written from the perspective of an older teenager that is on the spectrum. He finds that a neighbor's dog has been murdered, and the book starts with him "detecting" to see who did it. What makes the book so unique is that the character "writes" like someone with severe Asperger's would write--apparently the author worked with autistic and similarly troubled children earlier in life.

His social disorder creates both oddly hilarious and also difficult interactions with others, and the distinct lack of human empathy (which is common with that disorder) comes through in an interesting way. Highly recommend for anyone looking to mix things up with their reading repertoire.

LeopardLetang

Bibliophile Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:35 pm

I enjoyed that book. Found it engaging and fun at a time I was having trouble reading anything.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Decided that I needed to reread classics. Doing Tacitus' "Annals of Imperial Rome".
Amazing

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:03 am

I have read nothing interesting, exciting, or thought provoking in a couple months now. @eddysnake, have any suggestions?

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:42 am

I have read nothing interesting, exciting, or thought provoking in a couple months now. @eddysnake, have any suggestions?
How about Liu Cixin's Three-Body Problem? Or VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy?

Or Flaubert?

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:35 am

I enjoyed that book. Found it engaging and fun at a time I was having trouble reading anything.
Yup, it was a nice change of pace. And yes, I know that I am way late to the party with that book ;)

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:44 am

Yup, it was a nice change of pace. And yes, I know that I am way late to the party with that book ;)
:oops:

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:53 am

All kidding aside, from about 2000 on I really hadn't read a lot of current books, instead going through the older collections at the library (King, Clancy, etc). I've been Googling the top books of each year, and trying to go through them. Looking at the award winners, for example.

Just started reading my first (yes, first) Pynchon book, Bleeding Edge. Found it on my bookshelf, must have gotten it at a book fair or something. This style of writing is...more difficult than usual. I've found it is an adjustment reading his dialogue, etc. Interesting so far though.

Gaucho

Bibliophile Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 am

I have to say Bleeding Edge is my least favorite Pynchon novel by far. For history buffs I'd highly reccomend V. and Gravity's Rainbow.

shafnutz05

Bibliophile Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks..yeah I am thinking I picked the wrong Pynchon novel to start with.

obhave

Bibliophile Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 am

How about Liu Cixin's Three-Body Problem? Or VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy?

Or Flaubert?
I'll check out Three-Body Problem, haven't read that yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

eddy

Bibliophile Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:38 am

First recommendation would be Borne by Jeff Vandemeer if you haven't read yet. The short story The Strange Bird is a good companion piece

The Sky Is Yours by Chandler Klang Smith was a fun coming to age dystopian Jane Austenish story. It's her debut novel and I think she will be a name to look out for in the future

Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins was a blast. I'm looking forward to see what he does next.

Days Between Stations by Steve Erickson was probably my favorite book from last year (up there with Borne) and it's quite different, but gets your brain going

The Fisher Bones by Sarah Gailey is on my list to read and it sounds like a good one.